Coronavirus : Folding@home takes the challenge, needs your help.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Here are the actual live statistics. Indeed the real big issue is how fast it spreads, thanks to a better understanding, higher vigilance and better initial status of the patients health both critical cases and deaths are going down, yet still they account at least 6% of the "closed" cases and that is a lot, that is way higher than the flu and you can see the number also on Italy.
Don't panic tho.
If a sickness spreads fast enough through a population and requires intensive care it can collapse your health care system, that's what epidemiologist are following closely, this isn't the end of the world but if not dealt with properly its consequences can be way worse than "just a flu" due to the high potential patients in a short period of time since hospital beds are a precious limited commodity.

Now again, do not panic, take precautions, wash your hands often, don't buy facemasks, leave them for your health care professionals, if you have the symptoms go get checked, a day missed confirming just a flu is better than being a carrier in this case.

if you have the symptoms go get checked, a day missed confirming just a flu is better than being a carrier in this case.
CDC apparently told the hospitals around here to do initial screenings via phone as they don't want people in a waiting room possibly getting others sick. Not sure how they follow up on that, but seems like good strategy to call instead of just showing up.

Panic plays to clicks and health organization funding. 1 year from now I expect this to be declared overblown while probably being still more serious than the flu (which is actually a low bar).

For example this issue. Viruses don't survive and spread by being more deadly. There's evolutionary pressure to become less deadly. Take the common cold, it's common because it's one of the least deadly things you can have and still notice. Think of all those bacteria in our body we take for granted, they aren't harmful and some are helpful, they're everywhere they are the most successful pathogens. Not much Black Plague kicking around, though. The "Two virus" theory has been around for a bit. It would explain China's slowing death rates (although I don't trust much data out of China). It also makes practical sense. The less sick you are the more likely you won't stay at home or even know you're contagious. That milder virus will dominate eventually. I suspect Italy got a heavy front load of the deadlier original virus (possibly from that cult) and until the milder version catches up and takes over they're screwed. I suspect the US has the less deadly variant front loaded. By luck or possibly by design.

Getting cloak and dagger. I might suspect the virus came from the China lab as the more deadly version. They somehow had a closely matching less deadly version on hand and released it on purpose. China's efforts at cleaning etc. were geared to letting the weaker version gain the upper hand faster. The US government knows this and controlled quarantine based on place of origin and likelihood of the weaker or more deadly strain.

Last edited:
Take the common cold, it's common because it's one of the least deadly things you can have and still notice.
The common cold is also common because it mutates quite easily, you're already immune to a number of variants of the common cold. That said, I'm going to enjoy working from home for the rest of the semester, I still have no idea how I'm going to do my lab classes online, but me staying away from those petri-dishes of disgust (aka students... I've seen how few of them wash their hands after using the bathroom, or worse think just making their hands wet with water = washing) can only be better for my overall health.

The common cold is also common because it mutates quite easily, you're already immune to a number of variants of the common cold. That said, I'm going to enjoy working from home for the rest of the semester, I still have no idea how I'm going to do my lab classes online, but me staying away from those petri-dishes of disgust (aka students... I've seen how few of them wash their hands after using the bathroom, or worse think just making their hands wet with water = washing) can only be better for my overall health.

yeah, interested in the SARS-CoV-2 mutants

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...-coronavirus-moves-they-re-easy-overinterpret

Great news out of University of Texas Southwestern!

"A protein produced by the human immune system can potently inhibit several coronaviruses, including the one behind the current COVID-19 outbreak, an international team of investigators reports today. The research reveals that the LY6E protein impairs the coronavirus’ ability to initiate infection, which could lead to treatments for the illness. "

"Mechanistic studies revealed that LY6E inhibits CoV entry into cells by interfering with spike protein-mediated membrane fusion. Importantly, mice lacking Ly6e in hematopoietic cells were highly susceptible to murine CoV infection. Exacerbated viral pathogenesis in Ly6e knockout mice was accompanied by loss of hepatic and splenic immune cells and reduction in global antiviral gene pathways. Accordingly, we found that Ly6e directly protects primary B cells and dendritic cells from murine CoV infection. Our results demonstrate that LY6E is a critical antiviral immune effector that controls CoV infection and pathogenesis. These findings advance our understanding of immune-mediated control of CoV in vitro and in vivo, knowledge that could help inform strategies to combat infection by emerging CoV."

https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/news...20/protein-potently-inhibits-coronavirus.html

Last edited:
Fold faster please because Tom Hanks and wife are now depending on it.

Fold faster please because Tom Hanks and wife are now depending on it.

hi odditory

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32287#p312159

"We've had a very unexpected, and a super amazing, major increase in power last night due to a cloud computing company donating a major amount of GPUs -- some of you might still be seeing the Core22 test project instead of the CoV ones, I apologize, with the current demand the servers are rather slow in making the extra copies of the CoV projects, but this should be resolved by tomorrow (well, except if we get another unexpected major donation.. icon_smile.gif )."

Fuck the bickering in here. Join team 33 and do some crunching to help get rid of this thing.

rgMekanic

Methods
Target preparation: The structure of the target protein SARS-CoV-2 Mpro, 6lu7.pdb (Liu et al.,
2020;(Jin et al., 2020), was obtained from RCSB Protein Data Bank (Burley et al., 2017).
Hydrogens for pH 7.0 and gasteiger charges were added to the protein and a pdbqt format file was
generated by using Open Babel (obabel; O'Boyle et al., 2011) . Autodock Vina requires receptor
structure in pdbqt format. SMINA can utilize input receptor files in both pdb and pdbqt formats.
Avogadro (Hanwell et al., 2012), Pymol (DeLano, 2002) and Rasmol (Sayle & Milner-White, 1995)
, were used for visualization. Active site residues were identified by their proximity to the ligand.
Ligand preparation: The list and structures of approved drugs were obtained from SuperDRUG2
database. SuperDRUG2 maintains a database of drugs approved for clinical use (Siramshetty et al.,
2018; Goede et al., 2005) . The version of the database downloaded on 18 February, 2020 contained
3639 approved drugs. For each molecule in the 3D conformer list obtained from SuperDrug2, the
first conformer was utilized in this study. Gasteiger charges were added, and structural optimization
was carried out with MMFF94 forcefield using steepest descents followed by conjugate gradient
minimization. Subsequently, the structures were converted into pdbqt format, for use in docking
calculations with Vina. These structures were further converted to mol2 format for calculations
with SMINA. Avogadro and Pymol were utilized for visualization of the ligands.
Data related to Clinical Trials was downloaded from clinicaltrials.gov on 6th March, 2020. Drug
like small molecules in interventional category were selected. Some of these investigational
molecules have been approved for other indications, whereas others are not. The investigational
molecules that were approved for other indications were listed in SuperDRUG2, whereas others
were downloaded from Pubchem (Hähnke et al., 2018) or Drugbank (Wishart et al., 2018). These
molecules were in 2D SDF format. Low energy conformations were generated and then hydrogens
and gasteiger charges were added using obabel. Obabel was used for geometry optimization was
carried out with MMFF94 forcefield. However, computational studies were not undertaken for
Carrimycin, currently in Phase 4 of clinical trials, due to lack of structural data.
Docking: Virtual screening workflow was implemented using obabel, Autodock Vina (Trott &
Olson, 2010), SMINA (Koes et al., 2013) and customized Python and shell scripts. Pymol and
Rasmol were utilized for visualization of the docked results.
Autodock Vina was used for docking calculations that did not involve flexible active sites residues.
The exhaustiveness parameter that controls the extent of the search was chosen as 8, and 9 modes
were generated for each ligand.
SMINA, a derivative of Vina, was used for docking calculations that involved flexible active site
residues. The flex_hydrogens option was used in SMINA to enable comparability of Vina and
SMINA results. The same set of parameters were utilized for Vina and SMINA, with the following
exceptions. The exhaustiveness parameter was set to 16 for docking calculations involving flexible
residues in the active site. Residues 41 and 145 of SARS-CoV-2 Mpro were designated as flexible
for calculations reported in Table 1,Table 2 and Table 3.
Ubuntu 14.04 operating system (64-bit) installed on a home built computer, equipped with Pentium
Gold G5400 3.7GHz processor and 16GB memory, was utilized for all computational work.

"SARS-CoV-2 is a betacoronavirus that was first identified during the Wuhan COVID-19 epidemic in 2019. It was listed as a potential global health threat by WHO due to high mortality, high basic reproduction number and lack of clinically approved drugs and vaccines for COVID-19. The genomic sequence of the virus responsible for COVID-19, as well as the experimentally determined three dimensional structure of the Main protease (Mpro) are available. The reported structure of the target Mpro was utilized in this study to identify potential drugs for COVID-19 using molecular docking based virtual screening. The results of this study confirm earlier preliminary reports based on studies of homologs that some of the drugs approved for treatment of other viral infections also have the potential for treatment of COVID-19. Anti-viral drugs, approved for human therapy, that target Mpro of COVID-19 were ranked for potential effectiveness against COVID-19 and novel candidates for drug repurposing were identified. In addition, the molecular docking method, utilized in this study, identified potential beneficial off target effects of some drugs that are currently in clinical trials."

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202002.0418/v2

Just posting to say I may have caught it.
My experience. I'm french.
About 2 weeks ago I went shoping and some person had a cough on me. I decided I needed plenty of masks. I had at the moment around 10 masks FPP2 but kept them for better use later in case.
So I got the next day on Amazon some of the last surgical masks I could get in France. Next days government sized all masks for sale.
I never went out after that without one of my masks and latex gloves, seeing about nobody except my old parents. But I started to have some times small temperature (around 37.5). That's not supposed to be coronavirus and I made the flu vaccine in december.
I also had some times runny nose, but not for long. I treated my nose with Sterimar (sea water + copper). Copper kills the viruses (this has been proved).
Now, 2 weeks later, I had temperature during night, around 38.1 when I took it and I sweat like never. In the morning I was not great but okay and I took my temperature and it was 35.7 thats is something I never have (I have usually 36.4) I went to vote, wearing my mask. I only saw one person with a mask. I returned home and after a while in a second i start having a huge temperature and an unbearable headeach that I still have now, and the headeach makes me so sick that I feel I want to vomit but I can't. I didn't eat for about one day. I called on the coronavirus service and they asked me some questions about me, told me I have probably coronavirus because all fits, but that I'm not an urgent profile but to call if it's getting worse. No test for me. I told I'm really unlucky to be among the 5000 cases and they told me there are in fact many more but uncounted. I still have some tiny hope it's not coronavirus because I took so much caution.
Probably my last post for days, if I'm lucky.

About 2 weeks ago I went shoping and some person had a cough on me. I decided I needed plenty of masks. I had at the moment around 10 masks FPP2 but kept them for better use later in case.
So I got the next day on Amazon some of the last surgical masks I could get in France. Next days government sized all masks for sale.
I never went out after that without one of my masks and latex gloves, seeing about nobody except my old parents. But I started to have some times small temperature (around 37.5). That's not supposed to be coronavirus and I made the flu vaccine in december.
I also had some times runny nose, but not for long. I treated my nose with Sterimar (sea water + copper). Copper kills the viruses (this has been proved).
Now, 2 weeks later, I had temperature during night, around 38.1 when I took it and I sweat like never. In the morning I was not great but okay and I took my temperature and it was 35.7 thats is something I never have (I have usually 36.4) I went to vote, wearing my mask. I only saw one person with a mask. I returned home and after a while in a second i start having a huge temperature and an unbearable headeach that I still have now, and the headeach makes me so sick that I feel I want to vomit but I can't. I didn't eat for about one day. I called on the coronavirus service and they asked me some questions about me, told me I have probably coronavirus because all fits, but that I'm not an urgent profile but to call if it's getting worse. No test for me. I told I'm really unlucky to be among the 5000 cases and they told me there are in fact many more but uncounted. I still have some tiny hope it's not coronavirus because I took so much caution.

:(

Hang on bro. Keep up your strength by eating and stay hydrated.

For the first time in my life, I started to fold. I am not worried for myself but I do have a few people close to me that belong into the risk group, including my older sister who's lungs are shot due to the prolonged mold exposure. I'd rather see this thing destroyed faster than later.

Jesus! Stay strong man. :(

I'm not here to debate what state the virus is in, but I'm happily folding away on the main rig and the media center.

Not on the same level as actually catching it, but San Francisco and the surrounding cities have put in a shelter in place starting tonight at midnight, basically anything non-essential is shut down, grocery stores still open, all sorts of hygiene/well being places are open (water department, sewage, etc), restaurants can only be open for take out orders, everything else though closed. And it's for the next 3 weeks.

Jobs seems to be slowly trickling in. I'm getting SARS-CoV-2 jobs now which they have as priority now. Neat.

Jobs seems to be slowly trickling in. I'm getting SARS-CoV-2 jobs now which they have as priority now. Neat.

How do I see what job is actually in progess? Yesterday I had jobs on Any disease but now it seems to default to Cancer. 🤔

*edit* never mind about cancer. Found the problem why it was focusing so much on the cancer. But I still do not know where to see what project it is working on.

Last edited:

My GPUs have been starting to get the SARa-CoV-2 jobs too. Scaling this thing has to bw fun right now.

I was getting jobs regularly a few days ago but now my hardware seems to be sitting mostly idle even though the client is running. Is anyone else having this issue?

I was getting jobs regularly a few days ago but now my hardware seems to be sitting mostly idle even though the client is running. Is anyone else having this issue?

Idle for me too, ATM. Something had happened while I was at work though because the score had increased while I was at work.

*edit* rebooted my machines and now it is working again. Dunno if it had anything to do with it though...

Last edited:
Idle for me too, ATM. Something had happened while I was at work though because the score had increased while I was at work.

*edit* rebooted my machines and now it is working again. Dunno if it had anything to do with it though...

Probably just a fluke. The servers are being overwhelmed and computers cannot connect.

Probably just a fluke. The servers are being overwhelmed and computers cannot connect.

Yeah. It just finished the job and now it is idling again. But no matter, I will leave it on again overnight. Im sure it will find work on its own if there is available.

I started a couple days ago and had "work" almost constantly. But I've been idle since yesterday afternoon. I guess that's a good thing!

Jesus! Stay strong man. :(
Actually I'm a little better now. Called my physician. He told me it's not sure it's the coronavirus, but it may be. I frankly don't see what it could be. I'ev done the flu vaccine and already had a cold that I'm not so used ot. He told me it doesn't look I am a sever case as long as I don't have problems with my lungs, but I need to stay away from my parents. So I'm not a patient to hospitalise. So I do. I put the temperature in my room at 27°C. So I'm good now. I'm still fluctating a little above my normal temperature and well bellow after sweating. Headeach is gone for now. I'm still sweating a lot from time to time and when I'm getting a bad feeling in my throat (like twice a day) or I'm getting too much mucus in my nose, I'm using as muhc as possible Sterimar spray "Blocked nose" which is ocean water with overdose of salt and with copper. I'm also spraying it a bit in my mouth at my throat because of the copper. Not sure how much eating copper is safe. And I'm extensively mouthwashing with Eludril which is based on some cloride formula (it's for teeth but should be good for the throat). Not sure but chlorine is killing viruses so... The result is that one hour later, I don't feel anything in my throat and my nose is not runny anymore. Not taking any ibuprofen, Aspirin or paracetamol as my physician told me. Taking Equinacea pills (3x 400mg per day) and drinking green tea. I'm not very stable on my feet.
Clearly this not like a flu and very much like very weird cold or something like that.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Here are the actual live statistics. Indeed the real big issue is how fast it spreads, thanks to a better understanding, higher vigilance and better initial status of the patients health both critical cases and deaths are going down, yet still they account at least 6% of the "closed" cases and that is a lot, that is way higher than the flu and you can see the number also on Italy.
Don't panic tho.
If a sickness spreads fast enough through a population and requires intensive care it can collapse your health care system, that's what epidemiologist are following closely, this isn't the end of the world but if not dealt with properly its consequences can be way worse than "just a flu" due to the high potential patients in a short period of time since hospital beds are a precious limited commodity.

Now again, do not panic, take precautions, wash your hands often, don't buy facemasks, leave them for your health care professionals, if you have the symptoms go get checked, a day missed confirming just a flu is better than being a carrier in this case.
It's still growing exponentially and it takes more time to 'recover' than die. Recovered are probably 7 days late vs. died. 7 days is more than 4-5 times increase still at this phase of the spread. So that's not a reliable number.

Also testing is done on the most likely to need treatment. These are either at-risk people or manifesting serious symptoms. Therefore confirmed cases are skewed to those more likely to die. South Korea and Germany so far have the most extensive testing and more time with the disease. Their numbers are extremely low in comparison to everyone else.

Now that there's an opportunity to manipulate an election outcome and the 50 cent army in full force. It's going to be years before we shovel through the bullshit form all sides to get accurate numbers.

Actually I'm a little better now. Called my physician. He told me it's not sure it's the coronavirus, but it may be. I frankly don't see what it could be. I'ev done the flu vaccine and already had a cold that I'm not so used ot. He told me it doesn't look I am a sever case as long as I don't have problems with my lungs, but I need to stay away from my parents. So I'm not a patient to hospitalise. So I do. I put the temperature in my room at 27°C. So I'm good now. I'm still fluctating a little above my normal temperature and well bellow after sweating. Headeach is gone for now. I'm still sweating a lot from time to time and when I'm getting a bad feeling in my throat (like twice a day) or I'm getting too much mucus in my nose, I'm using as muhc as possible Sterimar spray "Blocked nose" which is ocean water with overdose of salt and with copper. I'm also spraying it a bit in my mouth at my throat because of the copper. Not sure how much eating copper is safe. And I'm extensively mouthwashing with Eludril which is based on some cloride formula (it's for teeth but should be good for the throat). Not sure but chlorine is killing viruses so... The result is that one hour later, I don't feel anything in my throat and my nose is not runny anymore. Not taking any ibuprofen, Aspirin or paracetamol as my physician told me. Taking Equinacea pills (3x 400mg per day) and drinking green tea. I'm not very stable on my feet.
Clearly this not like a flu and very much like very weird cold or something like that.
Copper is not safe. Google Copper Poisoning. It's not toxic in small exposure but doesn't take much to get to toxic build up levels. Also the tissues in your nasal passages and mouth and throat will absorb chemicals more easily than your skin.

Assuming you're under 50, this was most likely going to be a cakewalk for you in comparison to those over 50. Like your experience and others, low risk people are not being confirmed and counted. Actually the problem with this bug is at the system level not really the individual level. It's not so much more deadly it merits this attention based on that, it's the spread rate overwhelming the system. The 'Fear' should be for the system and not most people specifically until the system is taxed.

In the US, the disparity between young and old is so great, the lockdown should have been age based, imho. And when we still have a wrecked economy and no more fear there will be criticism over the economy.

Great news out of University of Texas Southwestern!

"A protein produced by the human immune system can potently inhibit several coronaviruses, including the one behind the current COVID-19 outbreak, an international team of investigators reports today. The research reveals that the LY6E protein impairs the coronavirus’ ability to initiate infection, which could lead to treatments for the illness. "

"Mechanistic studies revealed that LY6E inhibits CoV entry into cells by interfering with spike protein-mediated membrane fusion. Importantly, mice lacking Ly6e in hematopoietic cells were highly susceptible to murine CoV infection. Exacerbated viral pathogenesis in Ly6e knockout mice was accompanied by loss of hepatic and splenic immune cells and reduction in global antiviral gene pathways. Accordingly, we found that Ly6e directly protects primary B cells and dendritic cells from murine CoV infection. Our results demonstrate that LY6E is a critical antiviral immune effector that controls CoV infection and pathogenesis. These findings advance our understanding of immune-mediated control of CoV in vitro and in vivo, knowledge that could help inform strategies to combat infection by emerging CoV."

https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/news...20/protein-potently-inhibits-coronavirus.html
Everyone with anything is basically saying "Government rain money on us". Maybe they're justified, maybe they're all ego. Hopefully the good ones outweigh the bad ones. In the 70's interferon was going to cure cancer. It's barely used in a few and extreme cases for cancer. There was a cancer scare that decade and after the fear mongering ratings/sales wore themselves out, exaggerated cure stories came next.

Back