CoreAVC 2.5 is out, now supporting AMD/ATI DXVA

Joe Average

Ad Blocker - Banned
Already noted in the AMD video subforum but could be of some use for people with AMD/ATI powered HTPC setups as well:

http://corecodec.com/products/coreavc

Technology Bulletpoints

• Supports Windows 7
  • 32/64 bit Support
  • DXVA 1/2 Compatible
  • NVIDIA CUDA GPU support
  • ATI GPU support (DXVA)
  • Multicore ready (16 CPU Cores)
  • 8100x8100 Resolution Support
  • Full Interlaced support
  • Uses Directshow for MKV
  • Haali Media Splitter Included

Only $12.95 normally, but with this link (not a referral link) they offer a $3 discount (using coupon code SPRING2011) and it's $9.95 out the door... been using version 2.0 since it came out, never had a problem, and I just put in for the free upgrade so, we'll see what happens.

Is CoreAVC a lossless decoder these days?

Back when I used it, it took shortcuts to decode the video faster that affected the image quality compared to a lossless decoder.

Never had issues with it personally, so I don't know how to answer the question I suppose. Considering we're dealing with lossy materials every day, a few pixels here and there doesn't matter all that much to me. :)

there are free alternatives to coreavc that are just as good.

I bought CoreAVC back in the day but now I see no reason to use it when compared to the number of better and free options now available. I won't be buying this update (I had bought the 2.0 update).

That and I noticed a lot of shortcuts they used reducing my image quality since 2.0 came out.

coreavc support for multicore was the reason i got it, for older systems it lets you play HD content.

what are the other options?

these days most systems can play HD content fine..

coreavc support for multicore was the reason i got it, for older systems it lets you play HD content.

FFDShow plays all VC-1 and AVC fine.. with Multicore support.. CoreAVC is a rip off.

I bought CoreAVC back in the day but now I see no reason to use it when compared to the number of better and free options now available. I won't be buying this update (I had bought the 2.0 update).

That and I noticed a lot of shortcuts they used reducing my image quality since 2.0 came out.

In the email I received it stated that the you can upgrade for free if you bought 2.0. Just mentioning in case you want to check it out.

divx h264 decoder, ffmpeg-mt for multithreaded h264 cpu decoding
mpc-hc's built in dxva decoder for dxva
lav cuvid for cuda decoding

Has any website done a recent (late 2010, or 2011) comparison between DivX h.264, ffdshow-mt, and CoreAVC? I use CoreAVC with CCCP right now, but if say ffdshow-mt equals or beats it it'll be one less thing I have to install.

CoreAVC is the only thing that's actually made 1080p run decent on my HD 4350. Hopefully with this new version it will be even better.

In the email I received it stated that the you can upgrade for free if you bought 2.0. Just mentioning in case you want to check it out.

Nope. Not even interested. Like I said, the last update, when compared to FFDShow failed in image quality. CoreAVC just looked terrible and was totally unwatchable. Even as a free upgrade I'm not interested.

Let me just defend coreavc here for a moment.
It gives equivalent quality to the other decoders at this point, if it didnt at other points, those were bugs, not intentional.
It is technically the best performing in most cases, but divx h264 decoder gives virtually the same performance, and thats free.

CoreAVC is the only thing that's actually made 1080p run decent on my HD 4350. Hopefully with this new version it will be even better.

this doesn't make sense. The 4350 has an onboard video decoder which certain players can tap into to offload all video decoding to.
I suggest you download mpc hc, because it is such a player.

this doesn't make sense. The 4350 has an onboard video decoder which certain players can tap into to offload all video decoding to.
I suggest you download mpc hc, because it is such a player.

I do use MPC-HC, and it works okay for most content, but once in awhile I'll try to run something large like a 1080p Blu-Ray rip and it will stutter and desync like crazy. VLC won't even play most 1080p content regardless of what it is. And the machine's got a 2.6 GHz dual-core with 4 GB of RAM, so it shouldn't be a problem there.

my htpc has a 4350 also, and i play blurays all the time, with hd audio, and I have an even slower cpu than you, i use an athlon x2 3600.

Coreavc was the only thing that let me run h264 smoothly on my ati 9600xt agp card and sempron 2300 something. But I got a boxee box now so idc.

I do use MPC-HC, and it works okay for most content, but once in awhile I'll try to run something large like a 1080p Blu-Ray rip and it will stutter and desync like crazy. VLC won't even play most 1080p content regardless of what it is. And the machine's got a 2.6 GHz dual-core with 4 GB of RAM, so it shouldn't be a problem there.

This is a monitor sync issue..

Coreavc was the only thing that let me run h264 smoothly on my ati 9600xt agp card and sempron 2300 something. But I got a boxee box now so idc.

You're doing something wrong with the alternatives then.

I just don't understand why anyone would pay for this software. ffdshow is free and way better quality.

then their is something else wrong, i used to play 1080 content on an e4400 with MPC, sure it would hit %90+ usage but it played them. what vid card?

VLC - i just dont either bother any more.

MPC-HC all the way!

then their is something else wrong, i used to play 1080 content on an e4400 with MPC, sure it would hit %90+ usage but it played them. what vid card?

VLC - i just dont either bother any more.

MPC-HC all the way!

In a previous post he says it's a 4350.

There's a decent chance that whatever file he's running is not a completely standard h264 file, or has really high reference frames which older cards like the 4350 couldn't handle correctly. Without a sample we'll never figure out why.

Back