Core i7 exprience

AthlonXP

Fully [H]
Staring next week I will be getting in all my hardware for my new build. This should hold me off for the rest of this year and into next.

1. Core i7 920
2. 6gb G.Skill DDR3
3. Asus P6T Deluxe
4. Evga GTX280 to go SLI now

Hopefully all will be smooth. I wanted to start this thread to basically layout my experience will be in moving over to this new architecture early and I know some stuff will come up, but hopefully this will be smooth. Also a quick heads up for anyone waiting for when the 1366 Thermalright Bolt Thru kits, they will be popping up next week at most of Thermalrights main retailers. (expect to pay around 10 bucks for it.)

And your username is AthlonXP :D

I am really looking forward to your review.

Cheers!

-snip-
Hopefully all will be smooth. I wanted to start this thread to basically layout my experience will be in moving over to this new architecture early and I know some stuff will come up, but hopefully this will be smooth. Also a quick heads up for anyone waiting for when the 1366 Thermalright Bolt Thru kits, they will be popping up next week at most of Thermalrights main retailers. (expect to pay around 10 bucks for it.)

Yep, don't follow thermalright's link on there web page to buy the LGA1366 kit. The link takes you to the LGA775 kit. I wasn't paying attention and ended up ordering the LGA775 kit. Jab-Tech refunded my money and said they will be available next week.

My build is very similar, except I went with the 6gb Patriot Viper DDR3-1600 kit, and keeping my current 4870 x2.

Good to hear, make sure you post your stuff up in here as well. Good place to have people post what is going on. Also take pictures if you can as well.

where did you purchase your i7 920? Im seriously thinking about getting the same mobo, ram and cpu to pair with the new dual 4870x2 cards I just picked up.

Looks like a very good build. Should last you for more than you mentioned!

Looks like a very good build. Should last you for more than you mentioned!

Yeah, My goal is the next year or so, I wanted SLI but waited to jump on it until an intel chipset supported it.

looking forward to your comments I want to throw together a machine with the same parts.

I'm glad you've came to the dark side ... I mean, the rebels ... i Mean .. oh crap nm.

Intel!

same parts as my build, except Ill only have one GTX280.
Let us know how the TRUE works for you. I'm thinking stock until my rebates come in then heading for my first WC setup to sustain 200x20 without 80* temps.
I still need to order the CPU/P6T/ram, but the only retailer that has um isnt shipping until the 17th, so I have time. Congrats on getting the CPU elsewhere.

The CPU will be here on Monday, the ram on Tuesday, the board Monday or Tuesday. The only thing that will be holding me up now is the cpu bracket.

Yep, I am going to sell my system too, and get a core i7. I hope they have water blocks by then instead of the gay ass koolance one.

The CPU will be here on Monday, the ram on Tuesday, the board Monday or Tuesday. The only thing that will be holding me up now is the cpu bracket.

You could always start it off on the stock heatsink and then swap it out when you get the bracket.

i am waiting to hear what everything thinks of them before i decide to upgrade or not, my system runs just fine now, so i am up in the air about it all

I searched for the block in the WC forum, the existing models were descibed as being 4-5C hotter than the current state of the art, so I think I'll be waiting a bit on stock air...

AthlonXP for life! I'm still using my 4 year old Athlon XP. Should still get me through the next two years as well

Darn you athlon! You had to show me that website now im trying to order and wont go through. Well just need to sell mb and cpu now or give to son.

Staring next week I will be getting in all my hardware for my new build. This should hold me off for the rest of this year and into next.

1. Core i7 920
2. 6gb G.Skill DDR3
3. Asus P6T Deluxe
4. Evga GTX280 to go SLI now

TRAITOR! OFF WITH HIS HANDS

I want to see photos of the baby. Yes. I'm that pervert. Go call police you mormons

Haha, don't worry I have my D40x camera ready to take pics. Right now I am just planning all my stuff to reload once I get the setup in.

Why? Because he decided to upgrade his PC instead of going with inferior AMD hardware?

You can't be serious right? :rolleyes:

Heh Athlon, like you I'm planning a big upgrade but there's some things I need to buy first :[

New computer case, Cooler Master ATCS 840 : 280
New PSU, Corsair 1000HX : 259.99
Water cooling setup: ~600
4870x2: 529.99

:[

Though for i7 specfically,
i920 probably
6gb ram
evga x58 (finally evga is making a mobo that can support x-fire, gogo evga CSR ^^)

You can't be serious right? :rolleyes:

If you're asking me whether or not I'm serious about my statement that AMD's current hardware is inferior to Intel's, then yes, I am serious. There really isn't any debate in that regard. i7 is much faster than anything AMD has to offer right now.

If you're asking me whether or not I'm serious about my statement that AMD's current hardware is inferior to Intel's, then yes, I am serious. There really isn't any debate in that regard. i7 is much faster than anything AMD has to offer right now.

He is right, what does AMD have to offer performance wise near Intel???

You could always start it off on the stock heatsink and then swap it out when you get the bracket.

I'm in his exact situation - the problem with doing this is that you have to take the motherboard completely off the mounts to install a bracket properly. Its almost not worth it at all.
I'll have all my stuff by tuesday, and no mounting bracket. Frustrating.

Looks like my Ultra90 won't be useable on the i7. I am debating if I should get a TRUE or not........

I am also planning a smiliar build except without SLI. Which PSU are you going with that SLI?

As of right now, the Ram and Mobo should be at my office shortly. The cpu is a mysetery as the place I bought it dropped it off at a fedex place and I still have not recieved it... possibly someone from Fedex lost or stole that package so the wait is on for that. Still no word on the thermalright part yet.

As of right now, the Ram and Mobo should be at my office shortly. The cpu is a mysetery as the place I bought it dropped it off at a fedex place and I still have not recieved it... possibly someone from Fedex lost or stole that package so the wait is on for that. Still no word on the thermalright part yet.

My board will be here tomorrow. The rest I'm still waiting on.

I'll have it all tomorrow except for a 10 dollar mounting bracket by thermalright. Awesome to be held up by that.

Back