core i7 build...lots of BSOD

leetskeet

Limp Gawd
put together a friends new core i7 build today and had lots of instability problems.
first windows was reporting only 2gigs of the 3gig kit while task manager reported only 1024 as the total, while cpu-z saw all 3 :confused:

i updated the bios and that took care of the ram problem but then we couldnt get the system to run for more than a few minutes without freezing. it would freeze at the gigabyte splash screen and cut power off to the usb keyboard and mouse and would just cycle through reboots.

oddly enough the cpu handled 5 passes of intelburntest but BSOD after a few minutes of prime95. i went ahead and RMA'd the motherboard but i'm thinking i should send back the ram also. what do you guys think?

That power supply is a bit on the small side for a Core i7 setup.

I disagree. It should power a Core i7 + single card fine.

I know gigabyte has an option about legacy usb support that always seems to cause problems on their boards (including my EP45-DS3L). It would cycle through the post screen then restart. Try disabling that.

Also, were you OCing at all.

If those don't work try loading the fail-safe option in the bios.

If that all doesn't work, try reseting the CMOS by either connecting the jumpers, removing the battery, or (some GB boards have this) use a button on the back of the case that says clear cmos.

Also, try this forum.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/

They have Gigabyte representatives (lsdmeasap is one of the guys) ready to help you out.

TBH, I do not have a Core i7 yet. However, I've been researching them for the past few weeks and buying one next week. During this research, I've been reading the manuals of those motherboards I'm interested in and several state a minimum power supply requirement of 600W.

More than likely, the manuals are talking about PSUs with fairly anemic 12V rails. Considering that the 520HX supports up to 40A on the 12V rail, I honestly do not think the PSU is unfit for the setup.

I know gigabyte has an option about legacy usb support that always seems to cause problems on their boards (including my EP45-DS3L). It would cycle through the post screen then restart. Try disabling that.

Also, were you OCing at all.

If those don't work try loading the fail-safe option in the bios.

If that all doesn't work, try reseting the CMOS by either connecting the jumpers, removing the battery, or (some GB boards have this) use a button on the back of the case that says clear cmos.

Also, try this forum.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/

They have Gigabyte representatives (lsdmeasap is one of the guys) ready to help you out.

no oc except for putting the vdimm up a notch because the packing said 1.5~1.6v

i'm with you on the psu not being the culprit...i had the same problem with my board in sig and got it up and running using your same suggestions but unfortunately it didnt work on this one. i looked around for the legacy usb support to turn it off but couldnt find anything. i went ahead and had him RMA the memory also...we'll see how it goes...i cant describe the disappointment when i told him i was gonna put a fork in it cause i was tired of just rebooting and clearing CMOS wash,rinse,repeat.

did you catch what was BSOD message?

is it same all the time or just random?

didnt catch the codes but prime95 ran for about 2min and i saw one of the threads say hardware failure so i yelled blue screen and like magic we got one. after that we never got the comp to even boot past the splash screen without it freezing there, cutting power off to the kb/mouse and then reboot cycle party.

^ I concur this can be overlooked so often. Better to know for sure, than just blindly throw hardware in the mail for RMA.

Just went through the same thing with the ud5 but got all well and working now nicely @4.2 ghz. Also if you post would be nice to know all components to help u, there r alot of settings on these gigabyte boards and one setting wrong just freezes but I figured mine out no problems at all with tri sli either.

i wasnt able to run memtest but the prime95 test i ran included the memory in the test, i also tried each stick in every slot individually and still could not boot past the splash screen.

so i think its safe to assume that even if the ram was bad, the motherboard wasnt helping the situation.

Don't you hate completing a build for a friend only to have it spazz out and make you look like a damn fool?

I concur memtest should be ran to gauge the integrity of the ram.

Have you figured anything out on this BSOD issue? I've been having loads of BSODs, saying "uncorrectable hardware failure" on my i7 system. I'm using different parts (ASUS P6T Deluxe, eVGA gtx 280 SSC, 3 x 2gb GSkill ram), but your failures may be similar.

From what I have been reading Ram seems to be a big issue. Try running 2 sticks and see if the BSOD go away, cycle through the sticks until you find an offending one.

THe other possibility is that one stick is simply not seated well. I either case moving sticks back and forth should correct the problem.

Back