Core i7 960. Is my temperature ok?

[X]eltic

Limp Gawd
I've just assembled my new system and I'm currently running at stock speeds to see if nothing is damaged and to be sure that the system is stable at normal speeds. This is my complete system:

Code:
Enclosure ---------- : SilverStone Temjin Series TJ04B
Power Supply ------- : Seasonic X Series SS-750KM
Processor ---------- : Intel Core i7 960 3.20GHz
Memory ------------- : Corsair Dominator GT PC3-12800 7-7-7-20 6GB
Videocard ---------- : XFX Radeon HD 4650 512MB*
Soundcard ---------- : Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
Networkcard -------- : Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter
Motherboard -------- : Asus P6X58D Premium
Primary Harddisk --- : Intel X25-M Postville 160GB
Secondary Harddisk - : Western Digital RE4-GP 2TB
External Harddisk -- : Western Digital Elements Portable 500GB
Optical Drive ------ : Sony Optiarc AD-7241S
CPU Heatsink ------- : Prolimatech Megahalems
Harddisk Heatsink -- : Zalman ZM-2HC2
CPU Fan 120mm ------ : Noctua NF-P12
Intake Fan 140mm --- : Noctua NF-P14 FLX
Outtake Fan 120mm -- : Noctua NF-P12
Monitor ------------ : Samsung SyncMaster 970P*
Keyboard ----------- : Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
Mouse -------------- : Logitech G5 Laser Mouse (Rev. 2)
Speakers ----------- : Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Headphone ---------- : Sennheiser HD 448
Gamepad ------------ : Logitech Dual Action
Printer ------------ : Canon Pixma MP990
Operating System --- : Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

* Temporary, will be replaced with Radeon HD 5870/GTX 480
* Temporary, will be replaced with Dell U2410/HP ZR24w

To test my processor temperature I've used OCCT 3.1.0 and specifically the CPU:Linpack test on max for 1 hour, and the highest temperature measured was 63°C. Is this temperature fine for a Core i7 960 at stock speeds? I've seen conflicting reports on the internet, some say up to 80°C is fine if you are just stress testing, others say to absolutely stay below 67.9°C; the official Intel specification.

To be honest, I'm slightly disappointed with this temperature considering the fact that I'm using a Prolimatech Megahalems together with Arctic Cooling MX-3. But perhaps 63°C is nothing to worry about? BTW, idle temperature is between 28-32°C.

The temperatures of completely fine, very nice actually.
Basically always stay under 100c. Under 90c realistically or under 80c to be safe. Most overclockers will say that 80c is the max you're looking for to be comfortable.

ps
Nice system you have there

CPU:Linpack test on max for 1 hour, and the highest temperature measured was 63°C

That is on the cool side for a modern Intel processor. As the other poster said, no reason to worry unless the temps are 90C or above.

Thanks for the reassurance guys. My other system, with a Sempron 140, is about 20°C idle and 30°C load, so going to a Core i7 960 is a huge difference temperature wise. But of course, they are not comparable at all. Core i7 960 is much faster and has 4 cores, so obviously the i7 generates more heat.

[X]eltic;1035408281 said:
Thanks for the reassurance guys. My other system, with a Sempron 140, is about 20°C idle and 30°C load, so going to a Core i7 960 is a huge difference temperature wise. But of course, they are not comparable at all. Core i7 960 is much faster and has 4 cores, so obviously the i7 generates more heat.

No problem :)
Also it has Hyperthreading (4 extra logical cores) which makes the chip nice and toasty.

[X]eltic;1035408281 said:

Being a nearly 100% AMD user at home and at work (well except laptops and a workstation or 2) for 9 years or so and dozens of systems I was quite shocked when I got my Intel Q9550 in 2008. With the stock cooler and QFAN the CPU idled at 55C and hit 75C under quad core full load.

The 67.9°C Thermal Specification is a temperature measurement made at the geometric center of the heat spreader on top of your CPU. The only way to see if you are within that spec is to take a Dremel or similar tool and cut a groove into your CPU so you can run a thermocouple. Obviously, this isn't very practical for most users.

Most software reports core temperature which has nothing to do with the 67.9°C rating. Core temperatures are measured at the hottest spots on the core and when running a stress program, this can be 25°C or more hotter than then center of the heat spreader on top of the CPU.

Thermal shut down isn't until approximately 125°C so as long as your CPU is running reliably, you don't have to give your core temperature a second thought. Enjoy you new computer.

Being a nearly 100% AMD user at home and at work (well except laptops and a workstation or 2) for 9 years or so and dozens of systems I was quite shocked when I got my Intel Q9550 in 2008. With the stock cooler and QFAN the CPU idled at 55C and hit 75C under quad core full load.
Well there's your problem. Running with Q-Fan enabled on your ASUS board is known to cause high temps, since it is designed to make your computer quiet (very low fan speeds). A normal Q9550 with a stock cooler in a halfway decent case idles in the 30's or low 40's. Temps can even be lower if you're not overclocking and have EIST/C1E enabled.

Last edited:
What voltage does CPU-z say?
What are you using to measure temperature?
Any idea of what ambient is for the room?

If your using any of the Asus system monitoring tools.....stop! They are proven unreliable and inaccurate.

Another update. I'm using low-noise adapters on my fans now and that certainly has a big effect on temperatures. My processor temperature is up approximately 10-15°C while running the OCCT Linpack test on max, but at the same time, my system is now very quiet. Idle temperatures are up as well, these are around 40-42°C. If below 80°C really is not a problem, I think I will keep the low-noise adapters. My system is fast enough currently and I must say that I really like the reduction in noise. From what I've seen so far, my system is completely stable too. I've ran numerous stress tests over the last couple days (memtest86+, OCCT, Linpack, Prime95, 3DMark, PCMark, etc) and luckily I haven't seen a single crash.

Here is a OCCT temperature report with the low-noise adapters and ambient temperature of 19°C.

What voltage does CPU-z say?
CPU-Z shows 1.200-1.208 volt load and 0.936 volt idle. I have SpeedStep enabled.

What are you using to measure temperature?
I'm using the built in OCCT temperature measurement. Here is my temperature report for the first core. The other cores were 1-2°C below the first one most of the time. Note: this report is without the low-noise adapters, temperatures are 10-12°C higher with them.

Any idea of what ambient is for the room?
Yesterday, while running the Linpack test, I think around 18-20°C.

If your using any of the Asus system monitoring tools.....stop! They are proven unreliable and inaccurate.
Nope, not using Asus PC Probe for my CPU. I do use it though to give me a very rough indication of my north bridge temperature. For extra reliability, I just add +10°C to the temp I'm seeing.

[X]eltic;1035412972 said:
Another update. I'm using low-noise adapters on my fans now and that certainly has a big effect on temperatures. My processor temperature is up approximately 10-15°C while running the OCCT Linpack test on max, but at the same time, my system is now very quiet. Idle temperatures are up as well, these are around 40-42°C. If below 80°C really is not a problem, I think I will keep the low-noise adapters. My system is fast enough currently and I must say that I really like the reduction in noise. From what I've seen so far, my system is completely stable too. I've ran numerous stress tests over the last couple days (memtest86+, OCCT, Linpack, Prime95, 3DMark, PCMark, etc) and luckily I haven't seen a single crash.

Good-o! :)
Also, just to let you know, i've had my i7 920 overclocked for over a year now and it hits 90c when stress testing now and then, i'm not worried. 80c is fine and nice to see that you've got quiet fans now due to the adapters (by chance a strip of resistors in a yellow sleeve?), i'm using a couple for fans too.

I've removed the low-noise adapters again and after some additional testing I've noticed something that worries me. If I start my computer in the morning my temps are fine, but throughout the day the temperatures start climbing. Even without the low-noise adapters, I've noticed that my load temperature is around 76°C. Idle around 42°C.

From what I've understood so far, under 80°C is ok, but I'm still wondering how normal this is exactly for a rig that isn't overclocked at all. Somehow, I expected my temperatures to be lower, especially since I'm using a very good cooler (Prolimatech Megahalems) and good thermal paste (Arctic Cooling MX-3). I've seen people with a 4.5GHz overclock having better temps...

One thing that I have noticed is that if I leave the side panel off my case, temperatures stay a lot lower throughout the day. With side panel off, my idle temp is around 34°C and load temperature only 68°C. Does that mean that my case is overheating?

Your temperatures without the LNA look fine to me. 1.2v through an Intel i7 is a lot and will create a lot of heat. ~40C idle seems a little high seeing as your voltage drops since you are at stock clocks though I'd suspect that your case may not have the best airflow and be part of the problem. Your temperatures with your side panel off kind of reinforces this idea.

You kind of have a few options:

1) If you want your temperatures to drop with the same case then you should see if there are side panel options for that case. You could also mod the side panel to have a vent mesh to help move more hot air out. Other than that you're going to have to find a new case for better temperatures.
2) As long as your overclock is stable you should be fine as no other software is going to give you temperatures like stress testers.
3) Are the hold down screws for the Mega have a point to which they bottom out to which you run out of threads? If so, is this how you have it installed? If not, they to tighten them more or try a reseat if they are all the way tight.
4) Add another 120mm fan to the back of the cooler. I think a 10C drop is the max seen from adding a second fan to the Mega while a 5C is not out of the norm. This all assumes that you have a good seat with good pressure on the Mega.

If your basing your northbridge temperature off the motherboard temperature Asus shows, your blind guessing as all the other P6 boards don't have that sensor anywhere close to the NB and I'm guessing the Premium is not the exception. Only the Asus ROG boards show actual NB temperatures.

Thanks for the reply. What I'm going to do now is order some fan clips and put another fan on the Prolimatech Megahalems to see how much of a difference that makes. And I am not entirely sure about it yet, but perhaps I am going to mod my side panel too, so that I can put some low noise fans on it. These Scythe fans seem like a great choice for that. Althought they move very little air, they are extremely quiet and might give the same effect as if my side panel is off. Something else that's worth trying is to see if my processor/memory can run at stock speeds with a lower voltage.

But for now, I am finally going to enjoy my new computer! I have only been worrying and testing so far, since the computer was quite expensive and I wanted to know everything was right. Haven't seen a single crash, or other weird issues, so I just have to assume everything is ok now. :D

Back