Core i7 950 stock or after market?

Pacwageo

Weaksauce
I'm buying an i7 950 and I'm curious how good the stock fan and heatsink are. I may overclock it slightly... and I definitely want to be prepared.

Can someone please recommend a good aftermarket fan and heatsink for this processor?

Thanks in advance for your input!

This has only been covered about 400 times but I would recommend the H70 anyways.

I have never trusted or even installed the stock cooler in my PC.

I totally agree with you. I have had problems in the past running my CPU's with the stock cooler. I almost always go aftermarket.

I do apologize. I did a quick search before posting and I couldn't find anything. Apparently my searching skills are teh suck. :p

Anywho, I will search for this H70 you mentioned... any particular reason you would choose this over other ones? Price? Performance? Both?

Because I run the older child of the H70 the H50 and it is holding down my i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz without problems.

Truly don't care for any of the air cooled solutions. The H70 is a sealed unit water cooling system and will be just as easy to install if not easier and you will not have to worry about hanging a huge hunk of copper on your motherboard.

I travel with my PC and I don't want it to be a hassle to move. I worry some of those huge towers could break my board although I am sure it wouldn't happen.

Because I run the older child of the H70 the H50 and it is holding down my i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz without problems.

Truly don't care for any of the air cooled solutions. The H70 is a sealed unit water cooling system and will be just as easy to install if not easier and you will not have to worry about hanging a huge hunk of copper on your motherboard.

I travel with my PC and I don't want it to be a hassle to move. I worry some of those huge towers could break my board although I am sure it wouldn't happen.
Do those Hydro pumps have some sort of warning in case of failure?

Last edited:
Do those Hydro pumps have some sort of warning in case of failure?

nope but I don't know that one has failed... sure it could happen though, anything can fail.

The warning would be really high temps ;)

I have had mine for over year... no problems.

A completely "home-made" water cooling system doesn't have a warning either.

nope but I don't know that one has failed... sure it could happen though, anything can fail.

The warning would be really high temps ;)

I have had mine for over year... no problems.

A completely "home-made" water cooling system doesn't have a warning either.

I can't recall which one but there have been failures...maybe it was ECO?/?

it was probably the eco

go with a noctua, silver arrow, h70, or a xspc watercooling kit for top of the line

After doing some additional research I found the h70 to not be as good as other traditional heatsink / air coolers. At the very least, the h70 matches the performance of heatsinks that are half the price.

I've seen the reviews and read the results that hundreds of other people have had with these traditional cpu coolers. It seems like Noctua, Scythe, or ThermalRight are the route to go.

I got a Thermalright Silver Arrow in my system. I like the temps considering I am OC'd to 3.7ghz. Idles at 25-29C. ~33C under load. (room temperature is around 77 degrees F)

Very happy with my H50. I don't need a stone-cold CPU, just something safe for 3.8 or so. It does that reliably, quietly, and without the stress/bulk of a TRUE or whatever the kids buy nowadays :). With my new push/pull it's a bit louder than it used to be.

Plus, I had a whole Corsair theme going on for a while, which was kind of cool.

-HD

After doing some additional research I found the h70 to not be as good as other traditional heatsink / air coolers. At the very least, the h70 matches the performance of heatsinks that are half the price.

I've seen the reviews and read the results that hundreds of other people have had with these traditional cpu coolers. It seems like Noctua, Scythe, or ThermalRight are the route to go.

You might also research what fans and RPMs that had to run in order for those coolers to cool the CPU as good as the H70.

I run my H50 on my [email protected] with two fans and they are both around 800RPM... cant hardly hear them,... under load my CPU will get to 70c ... during gaming it will never get over 62c

I would love to see a air block do that

the h50 and h70 are nothing more than some crappy fans, skinny tubing,, a poorly designed block, a weak sissy girl pump, and a crappy SINGLE 120mm radiator,

it is all the thing that you would NOT want if you where building it yourself

the h50 and h70 are nothing more than some crappy fans, skinny tubing,, a poorly designed block, a weak sissy girl pump, and a crappy SINGLE 120mm radiator,

it is all the thing that you would NOT want if you where building it yourself

what time does anger management class start for you today?

There are some people on this forum that have no interest in building a full water cooling system or spend time draining it, taking it apart, cleaning connectors and hoses, rebuilding it, and then testing for leaks.... the maintainency types of stuff.

My H50s do a decent job of keeping my processors cool. Buy some good fans for it and it will do its job silently too. If you're not overclocking, or only slightly OC'ing your system, you can also save a few bucks by getting a H50 instead.

I ended up going with the Scythe cooler mentioned previously in this post. The numbers are pretty darn good for the price. The H70 only stays a few degrees cooler under load and costs 70 dollars more.

I have nothing against going water cooled... Unfortunately, if something can cool my pc just as efficiently and cost me 70 dollars less I might as well go with that.

Back