Core i7-930 Unboxing

∞Velocitymaster∞;1035398294 said:
Ha one more person gets their hands on a 930. Please let us no how much you can oc that on air

No doubt, I'm interested in that as well... ;)

Wonderful... How much? :)
I got it at Fry's for $317.17 including 9.75% tax--that's CA for you. Sticker price was $288.99, a full $10 less than Newegg. They're only $249.99 at Microcenter but I'd spend more money on gas and time to get there and back, so I didn't bother.

As soon as the rest of my parts arrive I'll definitely see how well I can push the clocks on this beast.

That and the hope for greater OCability. Im content with my 920 D0 though

I got it at Fry's for $317.17 including 9.75% tax--that's CA for you. Sticker price was $288.99, a full $10 less than Newegg. They're only $249.99 at Microcenter but I'd spend more money on gas and time to get there and back, so I didn't bother.

As soon as the rest of my parts arrive I'll definitely see how well I can push the clocks on this beast.

Fry's still has a $350 after MIR combo with a i7 930 + MSI X58 PRO-E.

I have this beast OC'd to 4.2GHz on air with a TRUE Rev C and Thermalright's Chill Factor goo.

Last edited:
I have this beast OC'd to 4.2GHz on air with a TRUE Rev C and Thermalright's Chill Factor go.
Temps? CPU-Z? s'il vous plaît

Picked up the Fry's combo a second time because my 1st one had a banged up MB box. So I have 2 CPUs to test but little time till the weekend to do the build.

Any is fine. Lust looking for a reference.

Is HT on?
Yes, HT is on. Here are my readings using RealTemp and prime95's max-heat setting. For reference TJMax is 100 degrees C.
RealTemp-sensorTest.png

I'm pretty new to i7 O/Cs so it seems like it's hot, but it's running stable.

Yes, HT is on. Here are my readings using RealTemp and prime95's max-heat setting. For reference TJMax is 100 degrees C.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/clemenceau/RealTemp-sensorTest.png[*/IMG]

I'm pretty new to i7 O/Cs so it seems like it's hot, but it's running stable.[/QUOTE]

That is too hot. Max safe temps should be around 80C, not 99C. That's right up to thermal throttling and/or thermal shut down temps.

I agree, 99°C is extremely hot. And it's especially worrisome that you are reaching that temperature in the RealTemp sensor test. That test takes a very short time to complete, so it's very probable that you would have reached over 100°C with a longer test of Prime95, or better yet, Linpack (LinX/OCCT).

Are you getting that temperature with stock settings? Not overclocking at all? If so, I'd check your BIOS settings first, to see if nothing is out of whack. Voltage should not be above 1.2 volt. And your base clock should be 133MHz. Also disable things like automatic fan control, which can up temps.

If your BIOS settings are fine, there is something wrong with your heatsink. Remove it and clean the base of the heatsink and your processor heatspreader with some isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth. Then apply some good thermal paste, Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX-3, and mount it again.

It's also possible that your case air flow is not good enough. Perhaps your case is overheating. But I think this is very unlikely to be the main problem, since your processor heats up very quickly. Still, ensuring good airflow in your case, with good cable management and good fans, can make a difference.

Xeltic -- check post #12. He said that he had overclocked his 930 to 4.2 on TRUE.

Also, +1 to everything Xeltic said. That kind of temperature is dangerous.

Xeltic -- check post #12. He said that he had overclocked his 930 to 4.2 on TRUE.
Oh sorry, I missed that. Must have been that poor nights sleep. :D

That makes the situation slighly less worrisome, but 99°C is still very hot. If your computer is completely stable, you COULD keep these settings, but with extreme temperatures like that you will likely reduce the lifespan of your processor.

what's the difference between these and the 920s?

The Core i7 930 runs at a stock clock frequency of 2.88GHz instead of the Core i7 920's 2.66GHz. Thus the Core i7 930 has a 21x multiplier while the 920 uses a 20x multiplier. That is all.

[X]eltic;1035430688 said:
That makes the situation slighly less worrisome, but 99°C is still very hot. If your computer is completely stable, you COULD keep these settings, but with extreme temperatures like that you will likely reduce the lifespan of your processor.
Thanks, yes, it's pretty stable. It passes several passes with Memtest86+ 4.00, does SuperPi without incident, and it doesn't crash under prime95. I'm looking into watercooling at the moment.

I'm using a TRUE rev C with Thermalright's Chill Factor goo, which is pretty great according to HardOCP, and on the Thermalright I have a Noctura NF-P12. I just now disabled the mobo's fan throttling so those should be 100% all the time now. Airflow inside the case is pretty good (lots of 120mm fans, one 140mm fan). Any other tips for keeping the proc cool?

Thanks, yes, it's pretty stable. It passes several passes with Memtest86+ 4.00, does SuperPi without incident, and it doesn't crash under prime95. I'm looking into watercooling at the moment.

I'm using a TRUE rev C with Thermalright's Chill Factor goo, which is pretty great according to HardOCP, and on the Thermalright I have a Noctura NF-P12. I just now disabled the mobo's fan throttling so those should be 100% all the time now. Airflow inside the case is pretty good (lots of 120mm fans, one 140mm fan). Any other tips for keeping the proc cool?

Yeah, what's your VTT volts? Vcore? This is far too hot. i7 930 is supposed to run cooler than i7 920, not hotter.

Microcenter has them for $229!!!! great price but the 920 is only $199

At $229.99 thats a pretty good buy. You get a higher multiplier which means higher CPU clocks using a lower BCLK. Not bad.

Anyway to see if my week is going to be a good overclocker? 3951A690 is what's on my 930.

Whoa, what city do you live in? Here in Fresno there's 8.75% tax and I thought that was high. (OK, I guess 1% more isn't such a big deal, plus we don't have a Frys anywhere, the closest being in San Jose.) Cool unboxing though.

ok I just got my I-930 in today from Amazon. Wont be getting the rest of the parts till the weekend to build. What is a good batch # on these so far? My batch is # 3001A127

I took everyone's recommendations and found a safer overclock (3.9GHz) that is so far just as stable as the last, but this time stays under 85C:

RealTemp-sensorTest-186x21.png

Without vDroop, vCore: 1.28750v, DIMM: 1.65v. The other voltages are on "auto." Memory divider 2:8, so my RAM isn't running 1600MHz. I'd love to find a good watercooling rig now that I understand exactly how the advanced cooling helps.

Whoa, what city do you live in? Here in Fresno there's 8.75% tax and I thought that was high. (OK, I guess 1% more isn't such a big deal, plus we don't have a Frys anywhere, the closest being in San Jose.) Cool unboxing though.
West LA, 9.75%.

ok I just got my I-930 in today from Amazon. Wont be getting the rest of the parts till the weekend to build. What is a good batch # on these so far? My batch is # 3001A127
I got mine from Fry's, and my batch number is 3001A135.

Last edited:
Pick-up one from Fry's this week in Sunnyvale, CA with the batch number 3952A521. Which ones are the good batches?

Back