Core i7 920 Still $199 at Microcenter

UL

Limp Gawd
Nothing new really but a nice reminder... Just picked one up in Sunnyvale for $218 and some change out the door.

SLBEJ stepping D0 :D

Last edited:
Too bad there are no Microcenters anywhere in Oklahoma. :mad:
When I make the drive to pick up mine the end of this month I can pick you one up also if you pay shipping and pay first so I have time to transfer the funds to my bank. Mine alone is going to make things tight since I still have to pick up a board to go with it. :(
heat scgt1 ebay scgt_1 pm me if your interested.

UPDATE!!!
EWWWW

Catalog Effective Dates: August 31, 2009 - September 13, 2009
Wonder if they are going to jack the price back up after this date? I only get paid twice a month with the one on the 10th being gone to Turk-FX here on the forums $400+ and the 2nd not depositing till the 24th I may be screwed on one for $200. :-( SOB!

for around $250 buy it now you usually almost always find one on ebay if you keep your eye out, its not $218 but its still cheaper than retail: for those with no micros nearby

UPDATE!!!
EWWWW

Catalog Effective Dates: August 31, 2009 - September 13, 2009
Wonder if they are going to jack the price back up after this date? I only get paid twice a month with the one on the 10th being gone to Turk-FX here on the forums $400+ and the 2nd not depositing till the 24th I may be screwed on one for $200. :-( SOB!
I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch over that. MC has carried the 920 at $199 for a while. So even though many of their sales have ended, they usually include this item on their next sale. That price has driven LOTS of customers into their stores which is the point. As long as the 920 remains popular, expect that sale to continue.

No MicroCenter's in AZ ~ I've been to the Sunnyvale one, really cool store imo.

FYI... I was informed by the rep opening the CPU cage for me that all the i7 920's were D0's... i didn't actually confirm this my self, but sounds like I'm not the only one requesting it :p

Edit: Sunnyvale, CA

Yeah at this point C0 is probably well gone unless its just a dead location.

I picked one up. I just wish I picked up the mobo I wanted to go with it when it was 20% off. :mad:

Which mobo are you guys going for? I've been reading excellent things about that ASrock board.

looking at doing some mushkin ram this time around

Just as an FYI in case others don't know - St Louis Missouri will have a Microcenter opening in November. It's in Brentwood, supposed to be in the Whole Foods shopping center. It's even listed in the pull-down in their store locator.

Just thought I'd toss this out. I know I'm going to be broke with it being so close.

Just to add, Microcenter also has a customer membership program. It's not a credit card and they don't bombard you with spam/mail ads. Basically just sign up, and every time you buy something, you get 5% off your next single item purchase within 30 days (hold on to the last receipt). I really see no reason not to sign up, so the price is effectively 199 - 9.95 = 189.05 + tax. They really have the best deals anywhere on cpus, just don't get caught trying to buy anything else there :D.

I avoid Best buy unless it is a true sale, but if I really need something and cannot wait for it to ship from CA by ground (I'm in Illinois), I will go up to 20% more for a 'same day fix' at a B&M store. I suspect I'll make more than a few of the smaller purchases where s&h eat you up there. I'll check out that customer program, thanks

Just to add, Microcenter also has a customer membership program. It's not a credit card and they don't bombard you with spam/mail ads. Basically just sign up, and every time you buy something, you get 5% off your next single item purchase within 30 days (hold on to the last receipt). I really see no reason not to sign up, so the price is effectively 199 - 9.95 = 189.05 + tax. They really have the best deals anywhere on cpus, just don't get caught trying to buy anything else there :D.

Heh, you have to be picky. It's really great for those parts that you just need (fan clip for a scythe ninja? They got 'em) to have in your grubby little mitts. Sometimes they have good deals....sign up for the email updates and get the heads up. They were even doing W7 pre-orders for $40.

microcenter has some nice deals sometimes.

i got my xigmatek dark for 29.99 there, and the mounting kit for 7. i think it was a one day sale but still.
refurbished stuff is nice too. such as refurbed wireless 360 controllers for 20 a piece

From a Q9550 @ 3.7? No, not unless you want to spend more on DDR3 Ram and a overhyped / overpriced x58 board... :p

Which mobo are you guys going for? I've been reading excellent things about that ASrock board.

looking at doing some mushkin ram this time around
I saw that X58 Asrock board. Around $160 on the egg. Its the cheapest X58 out there, got decent reviews. The only thing of course is that its ASRock and nobody knows the reliability, although it seems good enough by the reviews.

I want to hear more about this board. Tired of these sub $300 motherboards.

The only thing of course is that its ASRock and nobody knows the reliability, although it seems good enough by the reviews

I've heard from a few sources that ASRock is made by ASUS or was maybe bought out by them.

But basically you should expect similar quality boards from ASRock

ASRock is a subsidiary of Asus, however their quality is definitely not the same most likely due to the use of different components. Again, you get what you pay for.

I dont want to thread hijack or anything, but if you want what looks like a x58 mobo geeks.com has a asus/pegatron board listed for $135

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=IPMTB-TK-BULK&cat=MBB

It looks to be used in hp systems, so im not sure of the overclocking abilities if any, but there is also like 4% off if you search bing shopping for computer geeks which about covered shipping for me :).

Also at microcenter they have two boxes, the old blue and the new one with a shiny gold core picture, that one should be the d0 stepping.

I finally went and picked one of these up yesterday. I'm still trying to get everything installed and back to my normal settings before I start comparing performance, but just basic usage has been far faster than it was on the box in my sig. Of course, a netbook is probably faster than the one in my sig...

Microcenter DOES price-match off newegg. So you can get the 920 for $200 and have them price match a UD5 or P6T or whatever. Plus, no shipping charges. :p

I just checked my local micro at Santa Clara. Looks like their 920's are gone. Lots of lynnfields though.

I saw that X58 Asrock board. Around $160 on the egg. Its the cheapest X58 out there, got decent reviews. The only thing of course is that its ASRock and nobody knows the reliability, although it seems good enough by the reviews.

I want to hear more about this board. Tired of these sub $300 motherboards.

Asrock is a subsidary of Asus, and is their "value" brand. Asrock is a different name for they don't want to use one of the best names for motherboards in the value markets and possibly tarnish their high end brand name with the value product line.

Pegatron is the OEM subsidary of ASUS, aka the asus boards they put into HPs as well as other pc makers.

Asus>Asrock>Pegatron. I wouldn't buy a pegatron x58 for you are defeating the entire point of x58 instead of going 1156.

never knew about pegatron. Learn something new every day.

IIRC the origin of ASUStek was a bunch of Taiwanese guys standing around in a lobby trying to figure out what to name the company, and they saw a mural with a pegasus on it. Something like that.

IIRC the origin of ASUStek was a bunch of Taiwanese guys standing around in a lobby trying to figure out what to name the company, and they saw a mural with a pegasus on it. Something like that.

What happened to the PEG?

I got my BadAxe2 there for $175 - when it was going for like $250 everywhere else.

Just gotta be prudent in your sales perusal. :

Also, just got my Q9550 there - moving up from Q6700 (I know, barely a bump, but 3.73GHz vs. 3.33GHz is worth the $40 [sold Q6700]).

Back