Core i7-7700K - Kaby Lake & Corsair RAM Overclocking @ [H]

That is impressive, not sure mine will make that speed.
But I feel better about the timings I had to use on my Corsair LPX ram to get a high overclock.

DDR 3000 CL15 @ 1.37V
15, 17, 17, 35, 52 2T

DDR 3600 OC @ 1.4V
17, 18, 18, 41, 360 2T

I'm tempted to try for higher.
Setting my ram to full auto, the bios gives it 1.45V and that hasnt caused any damage so there may be a fair bit of OC headroom still.
The Op could go quite a bit higher!

So much for 'all samples should be able to reach 5 ghz'
Well, my baseline now for stability is if it will do a full Handbrake encode and the three I have will not. But I am hearing otherwise from board manufacturers.

all these ram overclocking articles are making me wonder about how much my ddr3-1600mhz ram is holding back performance.. I remember at the time (5-6 years ago) everyone was saying anything above 1600mhz was pretty diminishing returns! I suppose things have begun to finally take advantage

On Skylake, for gaming theres little point going higher than 3200MHz unless the price is low.
But if you can clock it for free, why not :)
Brownie points taste good.

Is there no official spec sheet out yet? Assuming max officially supported memory speed is still 2133.

Curious to see if IMC degradation exists like on haswell.
Can't even find any imc degradation for skylake

Is there no official spec sheet out yet? Assuming max officially supported memory speed is still 2133.

Curious to see if IMC degradation exists like on haswell.
Can't even find any imc degradation for skylake

Known issue on Skylake mobile processors when lower CStates are not supported. Eg, Linux with a max Cstate of 2. CPU will degrade. I fully expect it to be an eventual issue with Skylake desktop processors and Kaby Lake as well... since they're effectively the same design.

all these ram overclocking articles are making me wonder about how much my ddr3-1600mhz ram is holding back performance.. I remember at the time (5-6 years ago) everyone was saying anything above 1600mhz was pretty diminishing returns! I suppose things have begun to finally take advantage
I would say that 2666/2800 is pretty much where you want to be in terms of DDR4 today. Not sure out Ryzen yet though.

My haswell is pushing my DDR3 at a 50% overclock to 2400 at a tame 1.65v. The absolute latency is better than most DDR4 modules. Still see no point in kaby lake at all. I'd love to see a benchmark comparing haswell and kaby at the same clocks with memory as fast as possible to see if the difference is worth an entire new platform.

On my Ivy Bridge 3570k when I OC to just 4.2GHX I had to downclock my DDR1600 ram to 1358 to get it stable. Yea, my mb supports 2200 but my I got this off a friend so had no choice. Maybe I should go into the bios and try these voltage tweaks and ram timings to get it back to 1600.

So much for 'all samples should be able to reach 5 ghz'

You have to delid for that.

I am running 3733 at 4.8 on skylake, but that is only 2x8gb. You guys running 4x8gb at 3600 is pretty good. I wonder if my 6700k can run 3733 with 4x8gb... hmm.

On paper maybe. We've had near this performance for years now. I'm no longer impressed with a few % gain in very specialized apps.

Yup, ~40% better ST performance than a 4.5GHz 2500K after nearly 7 years at same prices is a snoozefest. The vast majority of people will still be GPU bottlenecked way before the 2500K starts to bog down in gaming.

The same 7 years applied to 2000-2006 meant we went from <1GHz P3/K7 to 3GHz+ OC Conroes.

Even Zen will at most address the pricing part and not the fact that existing CPUs are already pretty darn fast for gaming.

Last edited:
Reactions: dain
like this
What motherboard in this review ?

Motherboard can have big impact in term of memory overclocking. According to many extreme overclocker (Splave / Xtreme Addict / Alex@RO) they said that even the same model motherboard can have different result. especially on 1T command rate and RTL / IOL.

On paper maybe. We've had near this performance for years now. I'm no longer impressed with a few % gain in very specialized apps.
I now feel this way, too. Unless one has some pretty specific needs, and those people exist, the functional value of even a 6ghz decacore seems dubious.

My haswell is pushing my DDR3 at a 50% overclock to 2400 at a tame 1.65v. The absolute latency is better than most DDR4 modules. Still see no point in kaby lake at all. I'd love to see a benchmark comparing haswell and kaby at the same clocks with memory as fast as possible to see if the difference is worth an entire new platform.
I've got a Haswell 4690K at 4.5 GHz with 32 GB of G.Skill DDR3 2400 (capacity is overkill, but it makes me happy, and Windows happily caches ~25 GB of something there) and would really like to see a comparison as well. AIDA64's latency test puts it at the very top of the heap.

I'm mostly interested in Kaby Lake because I'm using an i5, so I can double my thread count. If Optane is ever released and can be used as a write back cache on mechanical storage and older SSDs (I've heard 1400MB/s reads 500MB/s writes) then it could provide a noticeable overall boost to SSD+HDD setups. I've already got a 400GB Intel 750 though, so if its the primary boot drive only a smaller, slower cache I have to pay for wouldn't do anything for me.

edit: Do the Kaby Lake boards offer the AVX Negative offset options that were said to be coming?

Last edited:
Looks pretty exciting. I will probably wait until Skylake-E(or -X ..) or maybe even later. My 32nm SnB 3930K has been serving me very well. With the 32GB of ram its a really powerful machine. Love having 32GB of ram, I have 32GB in my laptop, too, and I wouldn't even go lower these days on a main machine. On my work machine with "only" 16GB I actually had to enable the swapfile because I would get out of memory errors. Maybe I should close some of my chrome tabs, Lol, Never!

Heck my Ivy-Bridge laptop -- basically the best you can do with 55w TDP limit, is also still a pretty powerful machine. Very noticeably faster than regular old dual-core laptops and especially the really TDP limited <~15 or so watt ones.

Yup, ~40% better ST performance than a 4.5GHz 2500K after nearly 7 years at same prices is a snoozefest. The vast majority of people will still be GPU bottlenecked way before the 2500K starts to bog down in gaming.

The same 7 years applied to 2000-2006 meant we went from <1GHz P3/K7 to 3GHz+ OC Conroes.

Even Zen will at most address the pricing part and not the fact that existing CPUs are already pretty darn fast for gaming.
what is "ST performance"?

I haven't upgraded from my 2500k, but i have been feeling impatient with it lately. But spending around 800 bucks to bring my web browsing up to speed is a bit silly. all the games I play are still GPU limited and I've upgraded that 2 times since the upper mid range card i got with they 2500k system back in the day

I see the 3200 kit on Amazon, but I don't see the 3600.

My silly Patriot ddr4 is rated at 3000, but anything other than default 2133 is a BSOD fest. I gave up on it.

give you ram more voltage see if it helps, its been talked aboot in several thread around here...

Back