Core i7 4960X Ruined During Delidding Attempt

HardOCP News

[H] News
What do you do when you have a high dollar pre-release CPU like the Intel Core i7 4960X on the test bench? If you are this guy, you rip the core in half trying to take the top off the processor. Definitely "Doh! of the Day." :eek: Hell, we've been popping the tops off of processors for over a decade now...just by overclocking them. :D

Last edited:
All in the name of science.

Glad someone else did it so I wont' be tempted to try it.

no speako chinese. What the hell happened there? I've never delidded a CPU.

Screw the wrecked chip, look at the Post #8 in that forum (link).

If that sig is correct, I know why Snowden would want to be in Hong Kong.

399 mbps UPLOAD?????

399 mbps UPLOAD?????

his connection makes mine look like dial up.

ive never understood people's desire to de-lid it....its a rectangular gun metal color chip....they all look the same. i much prefer seeing kyle holding those wafters of cores to a de-lidding...

Weell, that ws interesting. Must be comforting to know it looks just like all the others, more or less.

ive never understood people's desire to de-lid it....its a rectangular gun metal color chip....they all look the same. i much prefer seeing kyle holding those wafters of cores to a de-lidding...

de-lidding isn't (normally) so you can see the chip.. It's trying to get better cooling.

(didn't read the article - maybe he did just want a peak)

From what I've heard, Intel started using thermal interface material (heatsink gunk) between the CPU and the lid with Ivy Bridge to cut costs. Before that, they used solder, which is obviously much more efficient heat transfer. That's one reason why Sandy Bridge was a much better overclocker than Ivy or Haswell, and that's why you see more people trying to delid their CPUs these days.

From what I've heard, Intel started using thermal interface material (heatsink gunk) between the CPU and the lid with Ivy Bridge to cut costs. Before that, they used solder, which is obviously much more efficient heat transfer. That's one reason why Sandy Bridge was a much better overclocker than Ivy or Haswell, and that's why you see more people trying to delid their CPUs these days.

Sandy regular (and -E) had solder. This allowed Sandy to often outpace the Westmere based 980x chips when overclocked to the 5GHz. When Sandy-E came out it was rather lackluster in extra oomph compared to either the i7-9 chips or especially to regular Sandy. In addition to being cheaper, using TIM versus solder hinders overclocking to make Ivy / Haswell perform worse so that it does not seem that superior to Sandy-E. This is no different from how GM de-tunes its LS series engines (and other car companies do the same with their engines) so that only the marquee model gets all the horsepower.

When Sandy went to Ivy and then the new architecture of Haswell, most of the empty space from the shrinkage went to on die GPU. Since Ivy-E has even more dead silicon and empty space compared to Sandy-E, hopefully it will over clock better than either Sandy-E or Ivy.

keep this post handy for when people tell you "why dont you just take the lid off the intel chip its so easy" posts.

I like how he put his email on the pics to make sure no one else can claim to be the idiot behind this (personally I think I'd put someone else's email address on them. lol!)

Last time I pried open a sardine can it looked a little like that. At least I could eat mine.

Ha, trashed the die AND killed a bunch of the capacitors around it. Big time fail!

But hey, at least he determined that Ivy-E is soldered.

more surface area = better heat transfer. what's the problem here?

If they are using solder on the IB-E chips I may jump the gun instead of waiting for Haswell-E.

The real story here is that dude's ISP. I feel like I'm stuck in the stone age compared to that :eek:.

after reading your pentium article, i remembered why i put hardocp as my homepage in the first place

Reading on an other site the reason for the delidding was to find out if the Ivy-Bridge E used solder or paste, guess they got their answer. :D

Just out of interest where is the proof it is a 4960, secondly even if it is who says they'll use the same method on retail processors?

I'm ashamed to say I've done this on a Pentium D 945 way back, cracked BOTH chips into dust.

From now on I wait for others to test the waters before I go trying to pioneer overclocking.

Poor CPU I'd have given it a good home :) But it bodes well for Haswell E in 2014.

At least IB-E is soldered, we hope. Hope it goes all the way down the line and not just on $1000 EE chips.

Though, I kind of wish they'd just skip IB-E and go right to Haswell-E. Unless there's a MAJOR price cut of course, I don't know if it will be worth it to buy Socket 2011... I'm tired of old tech being sold at a premium price.

399 mbps UPLOAD?????

In Hong Kong, ultra-fast fiber line is very easily obtained, due to the relatively small land mass and people living in high rises as standard. Just by having a fiber line run into one building, you're already opening the entire area to over several thousand homes in the vicinity, as opposed to just a few homes within a half mile radius like it is here. What would really rattle your nerves is that such a connection costs an average of about $40USD per month over there. Even Google Fiber can't match that.

At least IB-E is soldered, we hope. Hope it goes all the way down the line and not just on $1000 EE chips.

Though, I kind of wish they'd just skip IB-E and go right to Haswell-E. Unless there's a MAJOR price cut of course, I don't know if it will be worth it to buy Socket 2011... I'm tired of old tech being sold at a premium price.

It's on the entire x_9 platform. Part of the reason to push 'heavy' over-clockers to their enthusiast platform, and as well having to pay double for the processors and motherboards.

I don't need anywhere close to that processing power but damn, I want it.

I may actually convince myself I need it.

Back