Core i7 4790K, 4690K, and unlocked Pentiums appear for pre-order on various websites

octoberasian

2[H]4U
http://www.overclock.net/t/1491099/...90k-unlocked-pentium-pre-order-prices-show-up

i7-4790K (4.1GHz 8MB)

$356.99 macmall.com
$349.99 antarespro.com
$375.95 neobits.com
$351.90 shopblt.com
$404.00 compsource.com
$386.99 ecost.biz

i5-4690K (3.9GHz 6MB)

$281.00 compsource.com
$242.87 shopblt.com
$237.99 antarespro.com
$269.95 neobits.com
$247.99 macmall.com
$268.00 ecost.biz

G3258 (3.2GHZ 3MB)

$78.05 shopblt.com
$83.95 neobits.com
$76.99 antarespro.com
$73.99 macmall.com
$85.00 compsource.com
$79.99 ecost.biz

Eagerly awaiting the only price that matters: Microcenter!

Might get one of those unlocked pentiums just to toast, for old time sake.

I wonder if the unlocked Pentium is a dual core die or a harvested quad core die. If it's the latter, it's a wise way for Intel to recover a small bit of coin from dies with defective cores/cache. They're priced quite cheaply, they should overclock well and will provide a bit of sport for enthusiasts on a budget (and even provide some fun for mid-range enthusiasts as well).

A pity they won't have HT though.:( It would have been nice, but I suppose it's understandable considering the low price...Intel doesn't want them competing with i5s.;)

They could've kept hyper threading though. :D
Would've been a little $80 BEAST!

True, but it'll still be a very good CPU for a low buck box for non-tech inclined family members...clocked up to 3.5-4.0GHz+, it should be a very decent CPU for most day to day mundane tasks, and retains the option for upgrading down the road.;)

Ever since I put together my i5-3570k system for gaming I really haven't paid attention to cpu's. Just came in here today out of boredom.

Why are they releasing such high clocked chips now? Why didn't they release any chips with clocks like this for Ivy Bridge? Is it because they know they will be releasing mainstream, affordable, 6-core non "E" chips in the next year or so for their next gen and figured they could push these out now?

Ever since I put together my i5-3570k system for gaming I really haven't paid attention to cpu's. Just came in here today out of boredom.

Why are they releasing such high clocked chips now? Why didn't they release any chips with clocks like this for Ivy Bridge? Is it because they know they will be releasing mainstream, affordable, 6-core non "E" chips in the next year or so for their next gen and figured they could push these out now?

Better yields from a mature process, most likely. The improved TIM should help with headroom as well.

At this point it really serves no benefit to get these chips just because Intel already did the overclocking for you. Unless you are a spec whore or want to brag online, these are still almost the same chips as Ivy and Haswell, just rehashed. Also, you can get there will be sales on Haswell chips so thats a big plus there.

At this point it really serves no benefit to get these chips just because Intel already did the overclocking for you. Unless you are a spec whore or want to brag online, these are still almost the same chips as Ivy and Haswell, just rehashed. Also, you can get there will be sales on Haswell chips so thats a big plus there.

They should still have some headroom, hopefully up to 1GHz more. They'll likely be nearly the best, top-binned dies. The best golden, low leakage ones are probably diverted for Xeon use, but the 4790Ks should still be pretty good dies. They'll likely be the best chance of getting a top overclocked clock speed.

I can't wait to see how people destroy those G3258s. I'm going to grab my lawn chair.

Only justification for paper launch is retailers are crying that they have too much old stock sitting on shelves that needs to be sold first.

Of course they do. This CPU release is a .5 iteration so to speak, an in-between before the next best chip is out. I remember the Ivy processors were being heavy discounted at microcenter when the haswells were out. It almost made no sense to get the haswell because of the pricing on the ivy's.

Better yields from a mature process, most likely. The improved TIM should help with headroom as well.

My thoughts:

It also has to do with rekindling enthusiast interest in processors again. Nobody except the hardcore have cared abut overclocking since the release of Sandy Bridge - they read the reviews, find out the performance is the same, and then get bored. Stories about Broadwell desktop parts being soldered-on also killed interest until Skylake. So, most of these folks are sitting o the same quad-cores they have owned for years with no intention of moving for the next two years.

This is an emergency effort to rekindle interest in overclocking by adding the dual-core at a tempting price-point for new builds, and also showing people how confident they are in their new refresh by releasing a superclocked top-end version (at about the same TDP). There hasn't been that much of bump in clock speed since the release of Sandy Bridge, so it's definitely going to get some attention :D

The unocked Pentium is also throwing a bone at motherboard makers, who have likely had to endure a drop in enthusiast-level motherboard sales over the last few years (Since Sandy). People used to spend dirt on a cheap Celeron and drop a Cnote or two on an exotic motherboard, but you can't do that anymore. This also means that the cost of a "project" build is increased by $150, making these unattractive. Today people only overclock if they need the performance.

That has repercussions: on this board (unless you paid the K series premium) we universally recommend H or B series to people based on their needs, which means manufacturers are lucky to move $80-90 of merchandise these days. The chipset cost is lower on those boards, but so is the profit margin.

The unlocked dual-core once again opens up overclocking for the guy looking for a deal, as well as offering an attractive price point for those looking for a project. With a price this insanely low, this makes a damn good project CPU (these are purchases that otherwise would not have happened, PERIOD), and will even convince some entry-level buyers to step-up to Z97 just for the option, incrreasing profit margins :D

Last edited:
They should still have some headroom, hopefully up to 1GHz more. They'll likely be nearly the best, top-binned dies. The best golden, low leakage ones are probably diverted for Xeon use, but the 4790Ks should still be pretty good dies. They'll likely be the best chance of getting a top overclocked clock speed.

Unless you are talking about high end water, then I highly doubt we are going to see 1Ghz headroom in the O/C's for the non golden samples my friend. Intel is already eating up a good portion of the headroom with the base clock speed bump. If I am wrong, I will gladly eat some humble pie.

I can't wait to see how people destroy those G3258s. I'm going to grab my lawn chair.

I will be one of them. I have fond memories of O/C'ing my P100 when it first came out, and that was in a Packard Bell box:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:!! I have a spare WC'ing loop made up of old parts that is going to be devoted to just chilled water runs. As far as solder, if they are great, especially if these are partially "dark dies"...It will help with spreading the heat. If not, then Sonda is right on with the delidding!!!:cool:

My thoughts:

It also has to do with rekindling enthusiast interest in processors again. Nobody except the hardcore have cared abut overclocking since the release of Sandy Bridge - they read the reviews, find out the performance is the same, and then get bored. Stories about Broadwell desktop parts being soldered-on also killed interest until Skylake. So, most of these folks are sitting o the same quad-cores they have owned for years with no intention of moving for the next two years.

This is an emergency effort to rekindle interest in overclocking by adding the dual-core at a tempting price-point for new builds, and also showing people how confident they are in their new refresh by releasing a superclocked top-end version (at about the same TDP). There hasn't been that much of bump in clock speed since the release of Sandy Bridge, so it's definitely going to get some attention :D

The unocked Pentium is also throwing a bone at motherboard makers, who have likely had to endure a drop in enthusiast-level motherboard sales over the last few years (Since Sandy). People used to spend dirt on a cheap Celeron and drop a Cnote or two on an exotic motherboard, but you can't do that anymore. This also means that the cost of a "project" build is increased by $150, making these unattractive. Today people only overclock if they need the performance.

That has repercussions: on this board (unless you paid the K series premium) we universally recommend H or B series to people based on their needs, which means manufacturers are lucky to move $80-90 of merchandise these days. The chipset cost is lower on those boards, but so is the profit margin.

The unlocked dual-core once again opens up overclocking for the guy looking for a deal, as well as offering an attractive price point for those looking for a project. With a price this insanely low, this makes a damn good project CPU (these are purchases that otherwise would not have happened, PERIOD), and will even convince some entry-level buyers to step-up to Z97 just for the option, incrreasing profit margins :D

Very nice post, and I feel you hit the nail very close to the head. Intel isn't betting the farm on desktops persay, but they know that a big chunk of the farm's income comes from Desktop sales, and they have to stem the bleeding. It's just like AMD's release of the 9XXX series CPUs..We all know why they did it, but to the average Joe and system builder, it gave them something to get excited and get some extra revenue.

Back