Core i5 temps - too low?

dan415

n00b
I just bought a Core i5 3570k and at idle, my highest temp is 23C, with other core being as low as 15C. The problem is that my room is only 21C, so I don't see how some cores can be cooler than my room.

Also, at max load, not overclocked, the max temp for my hottest core is 54C. Does this seem too low or is it ok? My TJ max is set to 105, and I'm not sure if that is why my temps are oddly low. Is this the right TJ max for my CPU?

Also, I'm using a Cooler Master 212 heatsink and Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste in an Antec 900 case.

Are you reading these using CoreTemp or RealTemp?

My TJ max is set to 105, and I'm not sure if that is why my temps are oddly low. Is this the right TJ max for my CPU?

Yes ivy-bridge processors have a 105C max.

I'm pretty sure you are fine, 54C is a normal load temperature and some processors will inherently run cooler than others. I know that under watercooling my heavily OC'd 2500k runs at around 50C during pirime95. It's safe up to around 80c for 24/7 use, anything above that you might want to get it checked out.

I'm told that the intel cpu temp sensor is highly inaccurate at very low temps. That could be why.

Personally I like HWMonitor for the temperatures how there is no such thing as a too low of a temperature when idle. Under load with a 212 and not overclocked you are in a nice spot. If you were to run IBT (Intel Burn Test) or Prime 95 you would experience higher temperatures then the normal temperatures you are seening right now.

no such thing as a too low of a temperature when idle

When they are lower than ambient and you are not using phase change one has to know that the temp is not accurate and wonder how to get an accurate reading..

Personally I like HWMonitor for the temperatures how there is no such thing as a too low of a temperature when idle. Under load with a 212 and not overclocked you are in a nice spot. If you were to run IBT (Intel Burn Test) or Prime 95 you would experience higher temperatures then the normal temperatures you are seening right now.

My max temp on my hottest core was 54C after running Prime 95 for about 4 hours. I should have added that detail in my original post.

My max temp on my hottest core was 54C after running Prime 95 for about 4 hours. I should have added that detail in my original post.

Your fortunate to have gotten such amazing temps. :) I'm jelly.

What kind of temps does the BIOS show?

I'd try a variety of different software just to be sure.

Intel and AMD both gear their temp sensors to be accurate near TJ Max, at the cost of inaccuracy at lower temperatures. The same thing happened with Thubans as well.

Same thing hapens here, this room get very cold at night about 9cº ambient temp and cpu is showing 6cº idle :D

Your temps are very good. I got an Hyper 212 push/pull with 2 cougar and MX-4. My lowest temp is 20 degrees and 55 with prime OC'ed at 4.5 ghz. These beasts run really cold than my other Phenom II 940 BE OC'ed at 3.6 ghz

Back