Cordova & Apple App Store rejection

Wiseguy2001

2[H]4U
Hi, I'm currently working on a mobile app. I'm really liking cordova/ phonegap, it's great being able to write cross platform(ish) code. My question is this, how much can you store on a server (which can be changed in seconds) as opposed to bundling code within the app and posting it off for Apple to verify and accept/ reject (weeks)?

Basically, the app has two sets of users. The bulk will be consumers (fine with this being packaged within the App). However there is a more complex business section, keeping this on the server will greatly speed up iterations.

I've heard that Apps which are mealy a boot strapper for a mobile website are rejected. I'm wondering if there is a balance of what they're willing to accept.

Or I can just stick to plan B, which is having the B2B/ admin section on the website and keeping the App light with only the consumer facing parts in the App?

Apps are allowed to stream in content from the web heavily. Apple's main gripe is apps that are just a glorified browser locked to one site. The best way to bring in dynamic content from the web and have your app still pass muster is to just bring in the raw data over JSON, XML or similar and then theme the data that comes in to look like a mobile app rather than just a website loaded inside the app. There is no problem at all with storing essential data server-side. You get into problems when the presentation is being delivered from the server as well. If you must have server-side presentation, you may be better off with a web app than a native one, at least for that functionality.

Thanks, I was thinking along those lines. It's fine to pull content (xml, json and images) but not pulling a whole pages.

I'm going with an app for consumers and web for business, after all html is html.

Pulling whole pages is fine. It is a balance though.

If your app is just a web wrapper, they will reject. If your app is a hybrid, they will not reject for that reason.

PG apps are fine in most cases.

Back