Copying local profile to domain profile?

JDMs14

Limp Gawd
Hey all

I have an XP machine running at home as well as a W2k3 server as a DC. The XP machine is joined to the domain, but I would like to create the same users on the DC that are currently on the local machine and keep their same profiles. So when the user logs on, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between logging on locally or on to the domain.

Anyone know of a way to do this?

1. create domain accounts, log in once with each
2. Copy their local profile contents to their domain account,if the username is the same as their local one the domain account will that the domain name appended to it (username.DOMAIN)

There will probably be some permission issues you will run into but if the domain accounts are part of the local admins group on the computer there wont be a issue, though that could be a big security issue depending on your situation.

i THINK that will work, test it out on one machine/user account and see how it goes.

Can't you use the Copy To under system properties/advanced/user profile settings?

yeah that will work too :) and is probably easier then copying them manually.Just make sure that if you do it that way you are not logged in as either the local account you are copying from or the domain account you are copying to, or it just wont work.

1. create domain accounts, log in once with each
2. Copy their local profile contents to their domain account,if the username is the same as their local one the domain account will that the domain name appended to it (username.DOMAIN)

There will probably be some permission issues you will run into but if the domain accounts are part of the local admins group on the computer there wont be a issue, though that could be a big security issue depending on your situation.

i THINK that will work, test it out on one machine/user account and see how it goes.

I will give this a shot and report back, thanks! :D

Back