Copying files from one HDD to another.

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
I have two HDDs. One HDD I use just to back up my photos and the other one for everything else. My main HDD is getting full so I'd like to copy my Steam folder and all it's games to the other HDD and then delete it. What's the easiest way to do this?

Fastest way is using SATA port on the motherboard with SATA cable, or if you have usb 3.0 exclosure that's also fast enough, usb 2.0 is very slow for copying large amount of data.

Create a second folder on the other drive for Steam, using Steam to do it.
Then move your game data over.

What I did was copy the entire steam folder from program files on my c drive over to another drive, then re-installed steam and pointed the installer to the folder on the other drive and it installed fine and all my games were instantly playable.
After everything was good, I then deleted the steam folder on the c drive.

Steam now allows games to be installed on other drives so I have some games installed on one of my SSD's and the rest on the spinner.

You can have multiple steam folders now.
If you move a game to a new steam folder, steam will find it.

So basically I delete everything in the steam installation folder on the main HDD, except for steam.exe and steam apps, and paste it onto the new HDD? And then just log back into steam?

Use steam to create the new steam folder first.

Steam should be smart enough now to handle multiple directories. But if you're having problems you can use an application called Steam Mover. It moves whatever folders you want, and adds connect points for wherever you move them to. This is the "old-school" method of moving parts of a steam install directory. A bit archaic now if you ask me, but it has always worked for me.

So basically I delete everything in the steam installation folder on the main HDD, except for steam.exe and steam apps, and paste it onto the new HDD? And then just log back into steam?

No, I copied the entire Steam folder, then reinstalled steam and pointed the installer to the new location.

Back