Copy/Paste Problems? (Fix Inside)

Mmats

n00b
I had a problem copying anything(text, files, etc.) and then pasting it. It was like it would retain the info for 1 second and then lose it. So unless I was able to copy/paste within 1 second, it would do nothing.

The reason this is happening seems to be Offline Files and it constantly taking snapshots. I think SP2 enables it automatically. The resolution is to disable offline files by opening windows explorer and go to Tools->Folder Options->Offline Files, and unchecking the "Enable Offline File" box. After that go to Tools->Synchronize, and not only uncheck, but remove everything possible from that list. Once you reboot the problem should be solved. This is what did it for me anyways.

Where did you find this "fix"? Is their a Microsoft Knowledgebase article detailing this information?

I ask because I have a few business client who use Offline files and folders and have not had the problem you describe.

I didnt find it on the web, I just was looking through all of my windows settings trying to think of what it may be. When I saw the offline files setting, it seemed like it would make sense for it to do what i described. So i changed it and rebooted and it worked.

PS. yes i rebooted previous to trying this fix, but that didnt work

I don't have enable offline files enabled and my copy/paste works fine... yes I have SP2. Go back to the chalkboard

Mmats said:
Why do i have to go back to the chalkboard? It worked for me

Maybe because the majority of us who have deployed SP2 never experienced the problems you speak of which is not to say that your problem isn't caused by SP2 or Offline files and folders.

There are those of us who'd rather attempt to narrow down the focus a bit more to determine the *exact* cause of the problem rather than simply disable the total functionality of Offline files and folders.

It would be great if someone could narrow this down but Ive only found people with the same problem and no answers. For me the advantages of turning off offline files outweighed the disadvantages. Maybe this will lead someone in the right direction so they can narrow it down

Grimmda said:
I don't have enable offline files enabled and my copy/paste works fine... yes I have SP2. Go back to the chalkboard

You say you have no problems with it disabled? Well why would you, I said my problem was when it was enabled.

Usually something is holding the clipboard. (Source insight used to do this.) Fix is usually to restart the clipsvc

Not trying to take sides here, but this is how bigger problems arise. You stated that you had a problem with copying and pasting, so you mucked around with some windows settings (yikes) to find the problem, instead of researching the problem.

Secondly, you came across the settings for offline files, which contrary to your belief, doesn't sound like it was related to your problem at all. I'm not sure how you made the connection between the two, but okay. As others have stated, that's unrelated, and none of us can duplicate your problem.

In the essence of learning, I'd research the problem online to find the real culprit, so you know for future reference.

Back