Copy files - destination full of white space...

Masejoer

Gawd
So I got my new server/NAS put together and have run into a weird problem. Last night I copied all the contents over and the size matches up in both locations. Going through files, there are some folders that have corrupt file contents - the files (text, pictures, etc) have white space in them that match up with the size of the original files. I can't open the files at all. I can't copy them back to the other computer and get the contents. If I open up the files at the source, the contents are there. I re-copied the files over and they again appear blank.

So far I've found files in the following paths having problems (incidentally, the first folder I stumbled in as I was interested to see the old logs stored in the mIRC folder):

F:\Misc\ftp
F:\Misc\mIRC
F:\Misc\scans

A subfolder F:\Misc\Clips is fine and the Misc folder contents itself are all fine. but others contain white space. I'm worried that I may have missing data elsewhere. The the data I copied over totals 448GB so it will be difficult to check every file. I have the drives on the new system on Windows 7, using RAID1 through a ICH9R on two Samsung F4 drives.

Ideas?

Wow...just wow. I'll give it a try but that doesn't make me feel too comfortable with the drives :rolleyes:

How can I know my data is there if the size shows up properly? I don't want open every file every time I copy something to the server...

Use a decent filesystem... (zfs... cough)

I've got 18 TB on F4 drives and about 1mb of that ended up junked by the Samsung bug (fixed by ZFS of course)...

Not that I like the bug, but I doubt that's the case here.

Back