Copy directories fails, need program to do it

todlerix

2[H]4U
I constantly do data backups from drive B to drive A. It is very common for drive B to have problems and I get errors like, file name is too long or file is corrupt etc. I want to ignore these errors and continue with the copy. When I am copying a directory and an error comes up, windows stops the copy until i click OK, then the copy stops and I have to start it over. I need a program or something that will do the copy and report the errors later.

I know this can be done with command prompt, however I dont remember how and I can't find how via google. The command prompt way was excellent, something along the lines of

copy "d:\data\" "c:\backup" (insert parameters) and it would just copy ignoring errors

Robocopy is available for any version of windows and is part of the resource kit. It is much more robust and way more powerful than xcopy.

However, being more powerful, it can also be a bit more intimidating with the options. This utility might make it a bit easier for you.

Robocopy is available for any version of windows and is part of the resource kit. It is much more robust and way more powerful than xcopy.

However, being more powerful, it can also be a bit more intimidating with the options. This utility might make it a bit easier for you.

This guy knows what's up. Robocopy is the way to go for data synchronization. It's great for scripting multiple synchronizations in a batch file, and keeping logs for each individually.

The syntax you're looking for would be something along the lines of:

robocopy D:\Data C:\Backup /S /R:0

Back