Copper and Aluminum Corrosion

JohnleMVP

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm starting an X360 watercooling project. I bought a Coolermaster Aqua Viva Duo VGA watercooling kit in hopes of retro fitting it for the X360. Unfortunately I can't get the water blocks to mount and I decided to just buy an X360 water block (XSPC). Problem is the radiator that comes with the Coolermaster kit is aluminum and the water block (XSPC and coolermaster ones) are copper. Should I be concerned about corrosion?

Should I be concerned about corrosion?

Yes. You'll want to add something with anti-corrosives to your coolant. Most types of antifreeze or one of the various pre-mixed watercooling coolants will work, just make sure anti-corrosives are listed as one of the features.

Stick with copper components in the future.

Thanks, I have some PrimoChill PC Ice, I'll have to check if it is anti-corrosive. I would use all copper, but in this case I was just trying to find a small radiator that might fit inside an X360.

Accelerated Galvanic corrosion can *only* occur when the metals are submerged in a conductive fluid (IE your coolant) AND touching in a metallic, electron transporting pathway.

IE, isolate the radiator using nylon screws, rubber gaskets and plastic washers - making sure it's electrically "floating" from case ground - and you'll have few problems. Absolutely use an anticorrosive coolant as well.

So I'm using pump from the coolermaster viva duo kit. The pump is built into one of the water blocks, but I'm only using it as a pump. Do you think I should try and smooth out the inner surface of the block to possible improve flow? Can I just put some sort of sealant to fill the holes or do you think its not worth it? My fear would be the pieces of sealant or epoxy or whatever get loose and clog the radiator.

vivaduo.jpg

Back