Cop Investigated Over YouTube Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point Steve, I definitely see where you're coming from.

But I think its pretty obvious that the force the officer used was completely uncalled for to stop one protestor from running a red light. The cyclist wasn't assaulting the officer or anyone else, and the officer's actions were far from warranted. The appropriate action would have been to flag him down, stop him and ticket him for the civil infraction he was guilty of committing.

That being said, I am a cyclist, and I hate how little respect I get from cars on the road. By law, I can't ride on the sidewalk, stop honking at me for using the road like the law tells me to.
Cyclists not getting attention they deserve is a definite problem. Critical Mass, however, is downright stupid. No clear leaders, no organization, no specific goals.

...By law, I can't ride on the sidewalk, stop honking at me for using the road like the law tells me to...

For the record, I ride as far away from traffic as I can get on the road, not in the middle of the lane like some idiots. I've been clipped by several mirrors... I learned quickly that I have to keep my distance from cars, as they're not likely to do the same for me. :(

Agree completely, some of the guys in one of the groups I regularly ride with like to pick and choose when to comply with traffic laws and unfortunately their actions, while not representative of the group, reflect on everyone in it. However, my point is that a few bad cyclists are just that and shouldn't be the standard for the prevalent attitude toward cyclists in general.

Did this guy break any laws? Possibly. Was the action of the officer in any way justified in relation to the law or laws that may have been violated? Unless the cyclist ran over a baby or committed some sort of felonious assault there's no justification for body slamming him like that. If he committed such acts he sure wasn't in much of a hurry to get away so somehow I doubt it.

(BTW good case in point to NEVER ride without a helmet!)

The standard of using the actions of a few to judge a whole is not limited to cyclists.

Look at the baggy clothes that make youths look like they will shoplift or deal drugs. Look at the gun crimes and how the media always love to show the ak-47 when assault rifles are such a small part of the issue. Look at the negitive look on drugs when you have multiple sources showing how things like pot are not dangerous.

Cyclists are a small group compaired to the car drivers around them. One or 2 bad apples can destroy the image of hundreds that blend in because they are respectful of others.

I hate faggy cyclists.. but i hate cops... so i dont know who to barack for....

cyclists fine.. those logo-wearing trying to look like im sponsored for riding around the streets when really im just a fag people piss me off... i like putting sticks in the spokes of their wheels...

good on yah new york cop ;) bust up that fag..
wow youre are one piece of work arent you? Id love for you to knock me off my bike since Im one of those logo-wearing cyclists that rides for a racing team. you would run like the little bitch that you are if I was in your face after that. I follow all the rules of the road because I also now what its like to drive a car. people like you are the problem not cyclists. :rolleyes:

The standard of using the actions of a few to judge a whole is not limited to cyclists.

Look at the baggy clothes that make youths look like they will shoplift or deal drugs. Look at the gun crimes and how the media always love to show the ak-47 when assault rifles are such a small part of the issue. Look at the negitive look on drugs when you have multiple sources showing how things like pot are not dangerous.

I just recently cut my hair... I'd had it grown out (4-6 inches at various points in time) for the past five years or so.
I simply got sick of people asking me if I had weed at parties, despite the fact that I never smoke. I even got 'randomly' selected for several drug tests three times during the 3 months I worked at a nuclear plant last summer. I'm sure that had nothing to do with the way I looked and my usually laid-back demanor. :rolleyes:

Playing Devil's advocate here:

[BEING]

Had they not been protesting illegally, this wouldn't have happened (cop wouldn't body-check you at your dinner table). ALL the protesters were breaking the law in several ways (no permit to protests, failure to obey traffic laws, running a red light) so technically ANYTHING that happened to them after that point....

[/END Devil's Advocacy]

heh...:D

That is like saying that if I piss on the lawn of the local court house I should be shoot 25 times by a cop if they see me. Yes, they were breaking laws. On top of that, had the cop stoped the guy in a "nice" way and make a proper report then things would be fine.

However the copy used excessive force to stop the person. Then lied about it in the report. The biker did not ride into the officer knocking in to the ground where he substained injury. The cop got those injuries when he thew himself into the person bringing them both to the ground. The cop lied in his report. For that he should be punished. That should be no different than me making a false report.

[BEING]

Had they not been protesting illegally, this wouldn't have happened (cop wouldn't body-check you at your dinner table). ALL the protesters were breaking the law in several ways (no permit to protests, failure to obey traffic laws, running a red light) so technically ANYTHING that happened to them after that point....

[/END Devil's Advocacy]

You could argue that the cop was using deadly force. Body checking someone going 20+mph off a bike into the side walk could easily have killed him if he hits the side of his head (where it isn't protected by his helment) on something on the way to the ground.

You'd never be able to justify the level of force used.

Assume the same situation w/o the protest. He just ran a red light. You think it is ok to do that to someone for a traffic violation?

[BEING]

[/END Devil's Advocacy]

not to mention there's a lot in the background we don't know. Videotaped events can be a dangerous tool because so much can be taken out of context. For example, the cops probably just arrived there because they were called that someone was coming through. They were given a description of the guy and he might be armed and dangerous.

Notice he's pretty much the only one carrying a bunch of stuff? Everyone else has nothing or a small backpack, but this guy's carrying more.

Or, maybe that guy took advantage of the bikers and tried to blend in when he was committing another crime, like shoplifting?

Who can say why the police did what they did. It's all too easy to frown at the police for evil motives or intent when it comes to roughhousing citizens.

not to mention there's a lot in the background we don't know. Videotaped events can be a dangerous tool because so much can be taken out of context. For example, the cops probably just arrived there because they were called that someone was coming through. They were given a description of the guy and he might be armed and dangerous.

Notice he's pretty much the only one carrying a bunch of stuff? Everyone else has nothing or a small backpack, but this guy's carrying more.

Or, maybe that guy took advantage of the bikers and tried to blend in when he was committing another crime, like shoplifting?

Who can say why the police did what they did. It's all too easy to frown at the police for evil motives or intent when it comes to roughhousing citizens.

iirc, someone linked to a story on this where the cop gave sworn statement that he did it because the guy was "trying to run him over".

iirc, someone linked to a story on this where the cop gave sworn statement that he did it because the guy was "trying to run him over".

That could just be his excuse for being too rough, which is probably a lie, seeing how the biker didn't try to run him over. But the other possibly still stand.

That could just be his excuse for being too rough, which is probably a lie, seeing how the biker didn't try to run him over. But the other possibly still stand.

How? The cop never said any of the other stuff. They never claimed that he was involved in any other acts. The cop just said that this member of the protect group ran his bike into the officer. Yes that is a lie. But that lie is the ONLY reason why this cop did this. He wasn't told by another officer to stop him. He wasn't wanted for another crime. He wasn't acting any worse than the rest of the protestors. The ONLY reason that this cop went after him (according to the cop) was that this biker tried to run him over with his bike and as a result the officer fell and substained injuries and ended up nocking out the biker when he fell. That is an outright lie though, he went after the biker not the other way around. There was no valid reason for the cop to go after this person as opposed to any other biker. Except for the reasons that I gave in another reply. This guy was the best target. Had the cop went after those in front or those in the middle and took them out then he would have been hit by those comming behind the person and probably would have taken out a lot more people causing a lot more of a problem. By waiting for a person like this guy who didn't have anyone else beside him or behind him, the cop could take him out and not cause a massive pileup of people. Instead he would get one man and one man only. For those of you trying to find a reason to justify why the cop did this, there really isn't one. This guy wasn't any worse of a person (as far as the cop knew) than anyone else on a bike. The cop singled out this guy and took him out, then lied about his reasons why. It is as simple as that.

Assume the same situation w/o the protest. He just ran a red light. You think it is ok to do that to someone for a traffic violation?

No.....

....that would deserve a roundhouse kick :D

Chuck Norris v. The Cyclist!!! Walker Texas Ranger wouldn't have put up with that, he would have personally roundhouse kicked them ALL off their bikes ;)

Even though I was just playing Devil's Advocate for a little humor..that is a pretty good point.

Let say that you were sitting in your car at a stoplight watching these dipschitt's continuously run the red light for several signal cycles (that's what they do) and you saw a cop finally plow one if them over. Tell me you would give out a big hell yeah.

I'd buy that cop donuts for a year.

Let say that you were sitting in your car at a stoplight watching these dipschitt's continuously run the red light for several signal cycles (that's what they do) and you saw a cop finally plow one if them over. Tell me you would give out a big hell yeah.

I'd buy that cop donuts for a year.

I'm sorry two wrongs don't make a right. Corking would piss me off, but retaliating with with such force isn't the answer.

I'm sorry two wrongs don't make a right. Corking would piss me off, but retaliating with with such force isn't the answer.

The world may agree with you intellectually, but in the back of their minds, people tend to accept the idea that violence just works as often as not.

The idiot protester was in the wrong, so was the overzealous officer. What you gonna do? Coddle one and destroy the other? Or hold them both to the fire? I'm for the latter.

The world may agree with you intellectually, but in the back of their minds, people tend to accept the idea that violence just works as often as not.

The idiot protester was in the wrong, so was the overzealous officer. What you gonna do? Coddle one and destroy the other? Or hold them both to the fire? I'm for the latter.

Well.. my response was to Met Al's hypothetical situation (and attitude). If you read my first post on this thread, then you'll see where I stand in all of this.

Of course the biker shouldn't get away scottsfree if he did something in the wrong beyond participating in a bike protest. However, you don't know if he did something wrong beyond bike protesting, I don't know it, no one here knows it. Maybe the use of the force displayed is justifiable, which I hope so for the cops sake.

You're my hero... :rolleyes:

Take a look at the shirt you're wearing, does it have a logo or brand name on it? Most likely. The bright colors and logos help break up light from showing through to what's underneath..aka...my hair and skin. If you'd love to see my hairy rear I can arrange something more personal.

no... i dont buy garbage like adidas, nike and all that overpriced tracksuit garbage.. I buy my casual wear from k-mart (i aint wearing a $200 tracksuit to exercise or laze about my house it.. no logos on that shit... got a problem with that?? I buy more dressy clothes either for business purposes or going out at night... this stuff has no logos either.. the only time beside SCHOOL that i wore logos is when it was the company i worked for on the shirt.... don't worry i think those hip-hop logo wearing mofos are FAGS too.. especially the white ones...

...The idiot protester was in the wrong, so was the overzealous officer. What you gonna do? Coddle one and destroy the other? Or hold them both to the fire? I'm for the latter.

How about giving each what they deserve as dictated by U.S. law?
Cyclist- civil infraction for failing to yield at an intersection ( a ticket)
Police Officer- Submitting a false report (take his badge and gun at the very least), Assault and battery charge (usually felonious when involving a law enforcement officer) , and whatever damages the victim (the cyclist) wishes to pursue in a tort.

Saying they should both be hung out to dry is ridiculous; you're saying that anyone caught speeding should be given the same punishment as someone who committed a violent crime.
Punishments for crimes are not equal, but they are fair.
Welcome to America.;)

We (cyclists) wear that riding gear to support our favorite cycling team or just because we like the cool colors or because we feel like we should wear bright colors to help motorists see us better.

bright colours... fair enough... 50 corporate logos.. FAG

you're saying that anyone caught speeding should be given the same punishment as someone who committed a violent crime.

Speeding often turns into a violent crime. SPEED KILLS... people speeding on public roads need to be dealt with accordingly too...

The cyclists are a menace. They break some many laws over and over and over.

The cops should be lined up tasering and arresting them in bulk.

The cyclists are a menace. They break some many laws over and over and over.

The cops should be lined up tasering and arresting them in bulk.

maybe not that far... but funny nonetheless...

I see cyclists run red lights, nearly bowl down elderly people on the footpaths.. they think they're above the law cas they're so 'green'... but really these cyclists 95% of the time are NOT COMMUTING.. they are just wasting energy, that food you ate and are now burning off too 10X the weight in fossil fuels to get to your dinner table.. you seem to forget that.. and so riding from home down the freeway and back home for no reason is A WASTE...

What about the family of 5 driving along through a green light and they hit a cyclist cutting a red light... so its fair that that family is TRUAMATISED FOR LIFE??? all because you want to flaunt being uber-fit?? get a life...

How about giving each what they deserve as dictated by U.S. law?
Cyclist- civil infraction for failing to yield at an intersection ( a ticket)
Police Officer- Submitting a false report (take his badge and gun at the very least), Assault and battery charge (usually felonious when involving a law enforcement officer) , and whatever damages the victim (the cyclist) wishes to pursue in a tort.

Saying they should both be hung out to dry is ridiculous; you're saying that anyone caught speeding should be given the same punishment as someone who committed a violent crime.
Punishments for crimes are not equal, but they are fair.
Welcome to America.;)

Holding some one to the fire = Holding some one accountable for their own words, promises, or actions, or pressuring/forcing them to take accountability. In other words, give each what they respectively deserve.
I was not recommending the death penalty or hanging them both out to dry as a solution, jeez ;)
It is a rather old saying and may be some what regional, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Speeding often turns into a violent crime. SPEED KILLS... people speeding on public roads need to be dealt with accordingly too...

WTF?

I'm going to assume you're trolling, since I seriously doubt anyone mentally competent enough to articulate their thoughts into a post can actually believe that crap you just posted.

We're talking about a cyclist who went through a red light, not someone doing 120 down the freeway during rush hour.

Holding some one to the fire = Holding some one accountable for their own words, promises, or actions, or pressuring/forcing them to take accountability. In other words, give each what they respectively deserve.
I was not recommending the death penalty or hanging them both out to dry as a solution, jeez ;)
It is a rather old saying and may be some what regional, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

haha, my mistake.
So I guess we agree then.
Of course the cyclist should be held responsible for not obeying the rules of the road, but in no way did that warrant the excessive force used by the officer.

just because you dont like somebody or something they do doesnt make them a fag. in fact using the word fag makes you like a little kid.

i love the word fag.. it kills 2 birds with 1 stone.. it expresses my distaste for a particular subject matter, while also expressing my dislike of homosexuals and homosexual culture... i'll keep using it thanks.

talking about those hip-hop logo wearing freaks.. you know how their pants hang half off their ass... do you know where that originated from??? it originated from prison, and it signified to other male prisoners that you were 'available'.... so i laugh my ass of whenever i see that shit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back