Coors Sued Over iPhone Beer App

HardOCP News

[H] News
Now this is a first, a real beer company sued over a free fake beer app. Yeah, it sounds like a joke...but it isn't.

Coors faces a $12.5 million lawsuit for allegedly copying a $3 beer-drinking novelty application that allows users to virtually drink a pint by tilting their iPhone.

If successful, I soon expect a further lawsuit from Apple trying to steal themselves a cut. After all, they would have stolen a cut from the author for any sales the app might have generated.

Know what costs less than a $3 novelty application that allows users to virtually drink a pint by tilting their iPhone?

A real beer.

Really, I don't understand this world sometimes....

There's definitely grounds for Apple to be sued over liability issues isn't there? I mean, even if they weren't getting a cut, they were distributing (supposedly) illegally obtained code...

My roomy has an iPhone and everday he has to show me some useless feature that he downloaded...the beer, a zippo, a lightsaber....not once do I see him use the gps, and he calls me for directions.

i hear ya ^^, and most people cant believe i can wath live cable tv on my crappy q9c.. or even listen to internet radio...

My roomy has an iPhone and everday he has to show me some useless feature that he downloaded...the beer, a zippo, a lightsaber....not once do I see him use the gps, and he calls me for directions.

Your roommate is a dumbass. I mean that in the nicest possible way. :)

One more reason for me to hate the iphone...like I really needed another one.

Your roommate is a dumbass. I mean that in the nicest possible way. :)

Unfornately, I don't think there's any app (TomTom, eyeGuidance, etc..) that's available to actually use the GPS. As far as I know, if you go to the "maps" part, you are using cell triangluation and not GPS.

Unfornately, I don't think there's any app (TomTom, eyeGuidance, etc..) that's available to actually use the GPS. As far as I know, if you go to the "maps" part, you are using cell triangluation and not GPS.

no, there get a getlocation function available to apps. it uses gps and/or cell/wifi triangulation depending on signal conditions and available hardware.

Now MADD should sue Apple for trying to protect a beer drinking program that kids will play with pretending to drink.

What is with the apple cult? yeah, lets sue everything.

There are ton's of useless applications for that phone, the fact that someone want's to pay three bucks to virtually drink a beer is beyond me.

If there's Apple and lawsuit in the same sentence you can safely bet it will good laught for readers :D

Apple + Beer + Beer + Beer + Lawsuit = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Nope, it uses GPS in Maps. It'll use cell towers to do assist in triangulation sometimes but the end result is still GPS. Accurate and fast too, I used it in Budapest back in July and it nailed down exactly where I was.

Tom Tom already has beta GPS software running on jailbroken 3G iPhones. I'm positive we'll see it on the app store once its finished.

Know what costs less than a $3 novelty application that allows users to virtually drink a pint by tilting their iPhone?

A real beer.

Really, I don't understand this world sometimes....

Kinda ridiculous. But funny

Back