Coolmaster V8 or Megahalem

pblou24

Gawd
I would like to hear from actual users/owners of these coolers. I hear good things about the Megahalems and mixed review/experiences with the Coolmaster v8. I am seriously thinking of going with a Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B. paired up with some Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm x 25mm High Performance Fan (R4-EXBB-20PK-R0).

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
The V8 cannot match the cooling performance of the Megahalems. The Megahalems also has one of the best mounting systems I've ever used.

Last edited:
Between those 2 the Mega is better. Venemous X and Dh-14 are better than both though.

Of those 2, the megahalems w/o doubt.

If you're in that price range, you may as well consider the Venomous-X (available for $55 at times) and Cogage Arrow ($59) as well (both thermalright products). - They're both usually slightly better performers than the Mega, but the Arrow is a huge dual tower cooler.

Megahalem with two push pull fans is the best air cooler right now imo. From the mounting system to the performance, it's a great package.

But for that price you can get yourself an H70. So that's another option to consider.

The V8 cannot match the cooling performance of the Megahalems. The Megahalems also has one of the best mounting systems I've ever used also.

I actually had a pain of a time installing my Megahalems, though I did it in my case through a back panel cut out. The bolt holes in the panels wouldn't line up on the top most panel, so I had to loosen everything off and do those up first before tightening the base ones back down. Maybe my motherboard is slightly bent, I dunno.

It was light years ahead of the stupid Xigmatek Thor's Hammer mounting though. A pain to install and not very secure.

But yeah, Megahalems is a great cooler, several degrees cooler than the Thor's Hammer it replaced with the same fan.

I own the Megahalem Rev. B and I have to say it is very easy to work with; easy to mount, easy to attach fans to, easy to overclock with because it performs so well. Nothing but good things to say about it, and it's definitely worth the price.

Of those 2, the megahalems w/o doubt.

If you're in that price range, you may as well consider the Venomous-X (available for $55 at times) and Cogage Arrow ($59) as well (both thermalright products). - They're both usually slightly better performers than the Mega, but the Arrow is a huge dual tower cooler.

So the Venomous X with Fan will out preform the megahalem w/ a set of Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm x 25mm High Performance Fan (R4-EXBB-20PK-R0) in a push/pull config?

If you look at the apples-to-apples tests using the same fan, the Venemous X and DH-14 outperform everything on the market for air coolers. However, there are a multitude of setups/fans/configurations.

Bottom line is you won't go wrong with any of the top tier air coolers.

The Megahalems Rev. B is amazing. I replaced a Zalman CNPS 9700 and my temps went down 30c under load. I can't get this thing over 60c with a 4.0 Ghz Q9550. Ambient room temp is 78f (25.5c). I had considered the V8 at one time but the reviews didn't show it being much better than the Zalman.

I have the V8 myself it works great but it's a dust magnet and the overlapping fins make it a real bitch to clean so only get it if your case has really good dust filters.

The Megahalems Rev. B is amazing. I replaced a Zalman CNPS 9700 and my temps went down 30c under load. I can't get this thing over 60c with a 4.0 Ghz Q9550. Ambient room temp is 78f (25.5c). I had considered the V8 at one time but the reviews didn't show it being much better than the Zalman.

Wow. Lowered temperature by 30C. Thats crazy.

I know people who swear by Zalman but it seems like they just don't cut the mustard no matter how extravagant their "flower" design gets.

I have the V8. Not too thrilled about it, but it works - I may be at its limits though. I have it on my i7-920 at 4.2 ghz and it does fine, but not too comfortable (high 80's on full load).

Things I don't like are the single fan that takes some work to swap out and the screws that hold the mounts to the base (they have to be flat and there isn't much material and tend to break when torqueing down the HSF assembly). I am considering a H70 though.

I'd get a NH-D14 if you want the best air cooler. If you average all the benchmarks it's in it blows away the competition. Makes sense too, it has the most surface area by far.

I had a v8, it worked fairly well but either people were exaggerating their temps or my case airflow wasn't doing too well. Though the more I think about it, I only used it on my D0 chip for a month or so before I went to watercooling. Could've explained mediocre temps--darned C0's!

For the price I'd look for something better.

I went with Megahalems Rev. B in push & pull config.Should be here a few days, thanks again for insight guys.

Wow. Lowered temperature by 30C. Thats crazy.

I know people who swear by Zalman but it seems like they just don't cut the mustard no matter how extravagant their "flower" design gets.

It was ok most of the time, but something like Prime95 or IBT would push it into the 80's. It averages about 58c running those now with the Megahalems. I rarely break 45c in games, and about 35 idle.

I went with Megahalems Rev. B in push & pull config.Should be here a few days, thanks again for insight guys.

Great choice! I hope yours is easier to install than mine. The pull fan was a little tight and it wasn't possible to install it first, so I had to squeeze my big fat fingers into the case and do it. I used the thermal paste that came in the box with the Megahalems. Works great and I didn't have to buy more. ;)

HOLY *****!, Idel temps went from 60C to 39C, Load 72C to 52C. Dear God this is better than the single 120mm Rad i had running in this rig. I would recommend this cooler hands down over anything have tried to date.

Had to Edit the post for this. Here it is 4ghz with the meg.

Last edited:
Niether go get yourself a corsair H50 of H70, both are quieter and do twice the job of these other two heatsinks

Niether go get yourself a corsair H50 of H70, both are quieter and do twice the job of these other two heatsinks

1. Too late.

2. Megahalems don't come with any fans, so it depends what fans you buy. H50 was far from quiet, and I would put a Megahalem up against it any day of the week. H70 looks even louder from the reviews.

Back