Coolink GFXChilla and non reference design Powercolor 4850

Zenshi

Gawd
So got a chance to upload shots of the new vid card cooler. I got this since my stock cooler on my Powercolor HD4850 was not particularly a great cooler but more so, it was loud as a jet engine (at least to me). ATI Catalyst helped in making it quieter but I just did not like the cooler. Though my vid card is a 4850, it is a non reference design so smaller (actually I got it because of the size, as well as the price). So most coolers were too big. The Zalman would be a good size but it was expensive for the performance. So I decided to try the Coolink GFXChilla. It had great reviews and seemed to work well on the 4850 reference cards. However, it was not guaranteed to work with non standard designs. I checked my card measurements and did not see too much that would get in the way so I decided to try it out on a risk. Boy am I glad I did.

Anyway, here is the cooler. It comes with the cooler itself, 2 low profile fans (why blue? :confused: ) and a bunch of heat sinks including a few low profile ones for the vid ram that are below the cooling pipes, and some thermal paste that I did not use.

kif1877as.jpg

So here is the vid card, a Powercolor 4850, non reference design with some stupid heatsink.

kif1857shx9.jpg

Took the old cooler off. Good riddance!
kif1879as.jpg

Took off the original heat sinks on some of the VRAM that would be below the cooling pipes.
Also cleaned the surfaces using ArctiClean.

kif1883as.jpg

Attached the GFXChilla using Arctic Silver Ceramique. Also attached some low profile heat sinks that came with the cooler on the VRAM below the cooling pipes. It attached without any problems to my Powercolor non standard card.

kif1886as.jpg

Put it back in and attached the fan cable to the fan controller. The low profile of the cooler is nice and it sure looks better than my old cooler.

kif1888as.jpg

kif1952as.jpg

This cooler ROCKS and it keeps the card at around 38C idle and about 49 - 51C after several runs of 3DMark06, which is much cooler than the original cooler. And its SOOOOOO much quieter.

So if anyone has one of these non reference sized Powercolor 4850s and can't stand the stock cooler like me, then the GFXChilla seems to fit it ok.

Well thats about it.

This looks great!

I have the very same CG, and i also can't stand its noise, so i was considering getting the same cooler.

But i am concerned it would prevent the use of this card in crossfire configuration...

In my rig, i have to place the powercolor 4850 on top, and my Asus 4850 under it, i have been totally unable to make my pc boot if it is not in this way (i guess something crazy with my motherboard, i don't get what is wrong really, and i spent hours trying every possible configrations...).

Anyway, could you check if the radiator blocks the way of the crossfire bridge if they have to go down?

Thanks again, having information for us non reference owner is priceless!

Back