Cooling smell/possible leak

tunatime

Well...OK
Anyone ever opened the case and smell coolant? Loop been running for about 8 months topped off the reservoir last week was about 1/3 full and noticed I could smell the ek coolant thought it was just because I had the reservoir open to fill it and moved on. Well today was cleaning the dust filers and could still smell it. Spent a good hour cheaking all the fittings and looking for drips/marks can't find any and now I'm pranoid something is leaking ever so slightly.

How much if any should a sleaed tubing build evaporate in 8 months and can a leak be so small you can smell it but everything be dry and have no discoloration? Only thing I can think of is my ek reservoir cap might not be air tight

One advantage of using a colored fluid is it easily helps to check for leaks. You could have a tiny leak from a fitting or two, I can honestly say, and I got real close to my case to double check, I dont smell coolant, so you have a reason to be concerned. Take a piece of paper towel or tissue and run the edge of it around the tubes where they meet the fitting and see if you get some color there or moisture. You could just have a really slow leak that dries quickly before you get any pooling. Other than that just put paper towels everywhere unplug the 24 pin connector, jump the psu and do a normal leak test. Your liquid will permeate the system and air will move to the res over time, so that will cause a drop in liquid(or the appearance of it) but that should stop after a few days.

Can tubing smell? i think its coming though the tubing when i smell the tubing anywhere i smell it sniff at a fitting or a block nothing. kept smelling it coming form the rad was about to pull it when i realized it was the air coming off the tubing. quick google of ek tubing smelling and i found a few other say they noticed it also with ek cryofuel....lol guess that is what i get for not going ro water. anyone know if it will go away or should i drain and redo all the tubing

When I build a fresh rig I wrap a little strip of paper towel that I put a few dots on with a Sharpie. That way I can run it for a few days and if any of the Sharpie dots "bleed" it is very apparent even if the towel is dry and no visible drips exist.

Youve got a small leak somewhere. Chances are the tubing that smells is the lowest point and its drying up on it. The leak is most likely coming from a part above it.
Unless you got coolant on the tubing it shouldnt smell. Try cleaning the tubing with a white cotton rag and water. Any color on the rag will confirm theres dried coolant on it.
You may have a very small leak that only seeps when the system isnt pressurized(running). So leave the tissue in place for a day or two after doing your initial leak test. I had a slow leak that only presented itself when the loop was off. What happened in my case is a plastic barb cracked on my koolance pump and when the pump was on it would suck the barb up tight. So no leak. When i powered it off is when i finally found the leak. I was able to see the barb get sucked in and then juuust slightly move back away and leak a tiny drop of coolant. I also tie tissue around all of my fittings when leak testing now. Makes it easier to see any moisture.
GL!

Back