[Cooling] Need Some Expertise

Mazinger-Z

n00b
I've recently put together a new machine for a friend. I'm load-testing it right now. I tried something new, the Arctic Silver Ceramique. I also put together an AMD machine for him, and I'm primarily an Intel shlub.

Anyway, during idle the CPU runs at about 31 to 32 degrees. However, under the load testing software, which basically gives the entire system a workout, particularly the processor, the temperature jumps up to between 41 and 42 degrees. I know the temperatures are well within tolerances, but the drastic change in temperature (after reading some information on the Ceramique's performance) concerns me. Should the temperature spike like this?

The processor is an Athlon 64 3500. The heatsink is an AMD SilentBoost K8. There is no overclocking involved.

Some words from people familiar with the performance of Athlon 64 would be nice. My primary concern is incorrect application of the heatsink compound, but if the delta between idle and load is natural, that'd be nice.

my 3500+ sits idle at about 34c and load is 38 to 40c, this is overclocked also to 2.53ghz. I am using a zalman 120mm copper cooler with as5.

Back