Cooling HP Omen with Ryzen 5 5600G

• Thread starter Deleted member 289973
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 289973

Hey everyone.
I recently purchased an HP Omen 30L with a Ryzen 5 5600G and an RTX 3060. Got a good deal on it, and it's far more powerful than I was expecting. But one major problem with it is cooling (or a lack thereof). CPU temps are about 55-60 at idle, 65-70 at quarter load, 75-80 under half load, approaching 90 under full load with the fans at full speed. GPU temps have been fine. I know Ryzen 5s can run up to 95 with no problems, but I'm still concerned and good cooling is important to me, especially if I do modest overclocking.
I'm not sure what I should do to solve the issue. The motherboard only has pins for one rear fan and one front fan, as well as the CPU fan. Adding case fans isn't possible without a fan controller or adapter or something. I've thought of a liquid cooler, but I'd only be able to fit a 120mm radiator, and I'm not sure that will be sufficient. I don't know whether I should get a different case, try to modify the existing one (and I'm not very comfortable doing this), or just trying a 120mm liquid cooler and hoping it helps some. I'm also considering a motherboard swap due to unrelated issues, if that makes a difference for case swap or adding fans. I'm hoping to get some good advice here.
Thanks in advance!

Temps are fine. Run it as is. Further, pretty sure hp used a different mounting mechanism than standard amd boards so aftermarket cooler compatibility is in question.

But again, Temps are fine. Cpu is doing what it was designed to do which is allow higher Temps while hitting higher boost speeds.

I could be wrong but it looks like the Omen 30L uses an Intel-style square bolt pattern. Honestly it wouldn't be a huge loss to swap the board for an aftermarket mATX board with more standard parts, the 30L's board basically scrapes the bottom of the barrel as far as B450's are concerned.

I would mobo swap IF the PSU is standard. If the PSU is not ATX standard then you would be in for a new case, new mobo and new psu just for an aftermarket cooler. There are other advantages but, Ryzen will clock faster the colder they are with PBO enabled

if its this moria board, it looks like atx just a goofy custom thing. mne is right about the cooler mount and bwang is right about the board quality, bottom of the barrel.
so you can replace the board with something standard but youre still limited by the case for cooling options other than a bigger air cooler.
if you leave it as is you might be able to order the aio from hp but you are limited to the 120. push/pull might help a bit, it will still be better than the tiny cooler on it now.
or do board and case and put whatever you want on it.
1643984670309.png

I'm concerned about the temps because it is leaving very little to no room for overclocking. If my GPU is running under load, it reaches a very acceptable temp of 70-75, but the hot air from it radiates upward over the board, and the fan is just blowing that warm air onto the CPU.
I'm 99% sure the PSU is standard. (If someone wants to verify that for me, check here.)
It's actually a Hana board, looks considerably different from that Moria. I would say it looks more similar to a standard mATX, but yeah I agree about bottom of the barrel. The BIOS also has nearly zero functionality, for example I needed to switch my PCIe lane for my GPU to 3.0 to troubleshoot some bugs caused by 4.0, and the Omen BIOS doesn't even have an option to do that.
I'm going to call Best Buy since I got the computer from them and see what they might be able to tell me or do for me.

Update. I got the computer checked out today, everything tested fine. The good news is nothing was damaged or defective. The bad news - the design sucks and the airflow is horrible. I already mentioned the grief I've had with the stock motherboard.
Is a single fan/120mm radiator AIO cooler sufficient to cool a Ryzen 5 5600G? Some Omens are built with those and I have found little on the net about whether they are good or not, and what I have heard is mixed. Also it could be the Omen stock AIO, perhaps a third party would be better. If not, I'll have to get a 240 and a new case. That could get expensive quick.
The other option is a tower CPU cooler, but I'm suspicious of how well that would work and I'm restricted on size because the HP case is narrow. Anything over 150mm height would be a no-go. I'm leaning toward AIO anyway because the processor by nature runs quite warm. Even the BestBuy tech (I bought the PC at BestBuy on sale) suggested AIO over air.
I'm planning to switch out motherboards, so cooler mounts should not be an issue with a proper board with proper mounting points.

it not built for overclocking, dont. yes a 120 will handle it, at stock speeds but maybe not for loooong encoding sessions.

Again I would just use the computer. It isn't going to operate any differently no matter what cooler you put on it.

it not built for overclocking, dont. yes a 120 will handle it, at stock speeds but maybe not for loooong encoding sessions.
The RAM and CPU I have are able to be overclocked but I'm not doing so out of an abundance of caution, due to the heat and also power concerns thanks to you bringing up the underpowered PSU. I do want to overclock in the future, but modestly, not to extreme levels.
Again I would just use the computer. It isn't going to operate any differently no matter what cooler you put on it.
I appreciate you reassuring me, but I'm not overly happy with a system that is either going to run fairly hot under low load and like a blast furnace under high load, or sounding like a jet engine trying to cool itself. Sure, performance hasn't suffered (so far), but it's not particularly pleasant with such ineffective cooling. I don't need the computer to be an ice block, but it's just unacceptable to me as it currently exists.
I've looked- I can't add case fans, as there are no additional mounts or connections to the motherboard, and I can't even adjust the fan curves. Overclocking is out of the question as it stands, which is something I do want to be able to do. Additionally, I've also found out that the PSU is underpowered for the components I have, adding further to the risk.

You're psu is 500w. That is plenty for your system don't worry :) 5600g tdp is 65w and 3060 tdp is 170w.

You're psu is 500w. That is plenty for your system don't worry :) 5600g tdp is 65w and 3060 tdp is 170w.
3060 minimum PSU specifications are 550W according to Nvidia itself. Is this not accurate, or maybe a 'soft' number? I saw the TDP was 170, and a third party site mentioned a good rule of thumb is double in case of a peak, then an allowance for other components of course

3060 minimum PSU specifications are 550W according to Nvidia itself. Is this not accurate, or maybe a 'soft' number? I saw the TDP was 170, and a third party site mentioned a good rule of thumb is double in case of a peak, then an allowance for other components of course
Nvidias psu spec is based on a system with a 10900k which has a 125w tdp, so given your cpu is 60w less, a psu with 50w less is fine.

the minimum accounts for spiking. dont listen to the "get the bare minimum" crowd, stick with the gpu min and add a bit if overclocking. since its already in there and the parts are "oem/custom" try it(may have lower power req's). youll know its not enough if you get shutdowns.

Back