Cooling Heavily Overclocked 2990WX and 3x 980Tis

rabidz7

[H]ard|Gawd
The 980 Tis will be at stock voltage, 1.6GHz, the 2990WX I dont't have yet, so I don't know the exact numbers, but I plan to run it at 1.4v+ at at least 4GHz. Would two 480mm radiators plus a 280mm be enough to cool this system?

Depending on configuration and fan speed/air flow over those radiators, my guess is it would work, but it may be a little warmer than you'd like.

For just those three components at those voltages and clocks, the PSU calculator is estimating 1423W. That's a lot to cool.

You'd need two Hailea HC500A water chillers to handle that kind of load.

Jibbus crimps that's a lot of powah! If you don't mind me asking, what does this machine do?

Hopefully its for some sort of rendering/encoding, as the review showed the wx models really aren't that exciting for gaming, and are held back by their NUMA setup.

Would love a 980TI that could hit 1600. Mine barely does 1400.
It's a 980 Ti Classified. Binned.

Mostly gaming but a few times a year maybe, I'll transcode a likely 4K movie and would like the best possible performance for that. I may share the system with someone who will use it for intense video editing. This rig is still in the early planning stages. If I was just gaming, I'd probably wait for Intel's 28-core CPU that they demonstrated.

The 2990WX makes no sense for mostly gaming. Having 8 vs 16 vs 32 cores for transcoding activities 2-3 times a year won't move the needle.

It's a 980 Ti Classified. Binned..

you still won't be able to do 1.6ghz at stock voltage as mentioned in the OP.. that's no way to be possible, I have a classified 980Ti and to achieve anything higher than 1500mhz you need to edit power tables and voltages to VERY high amounts at around 1.30V, at 1600mhz if true that you reached that speed with a TRI-SLI setup you will be in the 500W+ range per GPU you will be out of PSU power before reaching the max cooling capacity of that setup.. and that's without take in consideration those 1000W+ a 2990WX can pull when heavily overclocked. so 2500W+ of cooling better go phase change or change those GPUs lol..

It's a 980 Ti Classified. Binned.

Mostly gaming but a few times a year maybe, I'll transcode a likely 4K movie and would like the best possible performance for that. I may share the system with someone who will use it for intense video editing. This rig is still in the early planning stages. If I was just gaming, I'd probably wait for Intel's 28-core CPU that they demonstrated.

If you were just gaming you'd probably be better served by a higher clocked i7 quad core like the i7-8086k

High core count HEDT chips are simply not a good match for gaming. You'll get better performance with fewer higher clocked cores, and you'll save a boatload of money.

For transcodes, sure, but if you only do it a handful of times a year, how much money, heat and sacrifice of gaming performance is that really worth?

I currently have a 14-core Haswell Xeon and don't want to loose multi-threaded performance. I guess I'll see if the person whom I may share the system with will be doing a lot of editing and if not, probably get a 16-core Threadripper 2.

Back