Cooling a dual-fan GPU in the Evolv Shift?

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
So I got this sweet new case and transferred my hardware over to it, but in my haste I forgot that my GPU sucks for this kind of environment. I have an EVGA 1060 ACX something or other.

Right now I have the fans in the "default" configuration, with the bottom 120mm pushing through the radiator and the side 140mm exhausting out the side. The original fans have been replaced with a GT AP-45 on the bottom at 7V and a Noctua 140mm Redux fan at the side, which helped and brought the GPU down from throttling but it still sits at 93C with the side panel on.

I was considering reversing the 140mm and making it an intake so all of the air is forced up and out the top like the Mac Pro, anyone have any other ideas? In order to play any games I have to take the back window off to let the GPU breathe. I'm looking into a blower style card but prices are absolutely outrageous right now so I might have to make due with this.

IMG_05651.jpg

If I'm not mistaken that is a Phanteks EVOLV Shift X case. Awesome Choice!
IMHO Your best bet is to go with a custom loop with CPU and GPU waterblocks, 280 radiator w/2 phanteks ph-140 hp fans set pull exhaust, keep intake in bottom and exhaust at the top and keep CPU and GPU at stock clocks. It's the only thing that will tame the heat from GPU. I think even if you could trade for a blower style, very likely and another option, with someone you will still be disappointed in that gorgeous case. Check the pic below taken from the Phanteks web site product page for and example of what I recommend. Just be sure to go pull/exhaust on radiator with high static pressure fans and keep all intakes filtered.
70ay2z.png

If I'm not mistaken that is a Phanteks EVOLV Shift X case. Awesome Choice!
IMHO Your best bet is to go with a custom loop with CPU and GPU waterblocks, 280 radiator w/2 phanteks ph-140 hp fans set pull exhaust, keep intake in bottom and exhaust at the top and keep CPU and GPU at stock clocks. It's the only thing that will tame the heat from GPU. I think even if you could trade for a blower style, very likely and another option, with someone you will still be disappointed in that gorgeous case. Check the pic below taken from the Phanteks web site product page for and example of what I recommend. Just be sure to go pull/exhaust on radiator with high static pressure fans and keep all intakes filtered.

Its a Shift, not a Shift X. It has only room for a 120mm AIO on it and barely that so airflow is a lot bigger problem.

Try reversing the airflow. As it is you are pre-heating the air to GPU bringing it into case through radiator. Reversing flow might solve problems. If you can you might try turning PSU around so it is drawing air from inside of case and exhausting it as well.

Its a Shift, not a Shift X. It has only room for a 120mm AIO on it and barely that so airflow is a lot bigger problem.
Sry I misunderstood to clarify I call the front the right perspective in the image below and I believe you are calling it the side which make sense given the nature of the case. Now that I'm clear on what case it is, according to specs it will take dual 120 rads with a maximum thickness of 27mm or 52mm with 25mm fans in the Front and bottom or right side and bottom locations depending on perspective. One 120 rad for CPU & GPU should be sufficient although limited overhead for overclocking. Most certainly will minimize heat issue. With GPU in bottom (intake/pull) and CPU in front (right side) (intake/pull) then top front exhaust you will not regret the upgrade.
Like this...
Shift-15.jpg

Try reversing the airflow. As it is you are pre-heating the air to GPU bringing it into case through radiator. Reversing flow might solve problems. If you can you might try turning PSU around so it is drawing air from inside of case and exhausting it as well.
Certainly worth a try great advice.

Ok I've worked on this a little more and its just not feasible with an open air GPU. I The idea for two AIO is a good one, however I can't afford to go get some hydro-cooled GPU right now which is why I have a 1060 in the first place. To be very clear, I wasn't talking about the theoreticals of cooling in this case, I was talking about using the GPU I actually have in my hands which unfortunately seems to be possible only with the mount reversed and the back of the case open.

Luckily, one of my friends who I built a rig for a few months ago agreed to trade his blower style 1060 for my EVGA ACX card (good deal for him with a big case, the EVGA card clocks much higher and runs quieter). I am also considering delidding my 4770k to be able to reduce the voltage and temps of that to keep the heat down.

This is what I ended up with after getting the trade in. Put the GPU back fan-forwards, I have a Fractal 140mm running at full speed blowing into the board since its silent, and a pair of Fractal Venturi PWM fans on the radiator blowing in as well. The hot air gets forced up and out of the case with help from the GPU, temps are much better and its a lot quieter.

IMG_0571.jpg

Back