Cooling 1 or 2 4890's with 1 240 rad??? What about adding a CPU + 120mm rad??

investinwaffles

Limp Gawd
So I just picked up a 4890 for $100 on ebay after one of my 4850's died. Its a sapphire reference 4890.
I am pretty happy about the performance vs. crossfired 4850's but the reference cooler will not work with my current cooling configuration. I have an H50 intaking fresh air from the rear of the case, right where the 4890 is exhausting. As a result my CPU temp jumped 6*C :eek:
What I want to do is add a 240mm rad to the top grill that I added (dual 120mm fans), and add a waterblock to this 4890.

Would a 240mm radiator be able to keep up with 2 4890's if I crossfire a second one??? What about if I consolidate my loop and use a 120mm radiator on where the h50 is and add my Q6600 to the loop?
I am trying to figure out the most integrated system that will cool my planned 4890's quietly and most importantly cheaply. Are the radiators with integrated pumps any decent? what about reservoirs with integrated pumps?? I want absolute minimal amount of clutter and simplicity hate looping cables and hoses). Also, I would like to spend around 150 total with just one GPU block for now. What radiator, pump, res, and block would you guys go with on a budget?? :confused:

Do you think an accelero s1 would be able to keep up passively if I put the 4890 in the top 16x PCI-E slot right under the top fans? Would it stay cool enough?? I might borrow one off my friend for a day and see how it works.

H50 is cooling my Q6600 @ 3.4ghz and 1.30v. I can push this cpu to 3.8ghz at 1.46v but the H50 is totally overwhelmed. I am very happy with 32*C idles and 58*C load temps at 3.4 though (coretemp) :)
I dont have to OC once I crossfire, but with just one 4890, 950/1100 would be nice, 1ghz for the core would be amazing. I dont think there is any way I can cool 2 of these cards on air quietly. Im not looking for max OC either, I just want quiet, this 4890 is absolutely the loudest thing in my system.

here is an internal pic of my PC as it sits currently (with just one 4850). A few notes, the 120mm fans are just hidden to the top of the pic. If I water cool the 4890 I wont need the front intake fan so I can mount a bay res there. The H50 is running as an intake and the mobo was changed to a P5E Deluxe a few weeks ago and the top PCI-E slot has shifted upwards by one slot (so it is closer to the 120mm fans!)
4972106624_33430a7975_b.jpg

Any input is greatly appreciated, Im just very overwhelmed as to what to do. I want it to be quiet but it doesnt have to be silent :eek:

Last edited:
You don't look you you have the space to stuff another rad in? We'd need to see more of the interior of the case to see what kind of dimensions you have there. Are you going to put the 240 up top?

Yes, the 240 will be up top. I really need to get a battery charger for my camera so I can post pics :(

Only good one I have of how the dual 120mms were cut (I have an AC Ryan radgrill on now).
IMAG0062.jpg

So I definately am interested in watercooling dual 4890's but I dont want to spend alot of $$ for old cards. Do you guys think the EK FC4870 Waterblock will work with a 4890?? I have been searching all day and came to the conclusion that it might be possible with some thermal pads for the VRM's (see the bottom of this page):
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/502956-4890-waterblocks-2.html

Waterblock in question:
http://cgi.ebay.com/EK-FC4870-CF-Hi...036?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5194048c6c

Does anyone know if it will be compatible with a reference 4890? Swiftech's 4870 block fits the 4890 but I am unsure about this card.
And will a single 240mm radiator be able to cool 2 of these cards?? Again, im not looking for crazy low temps or super high overclocks im just looking to keep things quiet :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
ttt, anyone know?
the auction ends in 4 days and I would much prefer to spend ~$80 on 2 blocks than $100 on one block :(

why dont you look up the wattage that whatever rad you're interested in is capable of dissipating, look up the draw of your 4890s...but a decent 240 will dissipate at least 300w of heat. you should be fine

Back