Coolermaster Elite 340 with H20-120 Compact

dunc4n

n00b
Well my better half wouldn't let me upgrade yet, but I did need a new power supply, so I purchased the corsiar hx620, an open-box matx mobo, a $17 dollar matx case. And decided to water cool it. My goal was to move my existing system in to a smaller format, and quiet it down, while keeping or increasing my overclock. So far I'm liking it. Full load folding on both cores, oc'd from 2.0 to 2.8, its at 41c. Next step is to add another 120 rad up front, and w/c the 8800, and some sound proofing mat for all the visible metal

dsc01268sc0.jpg

dsc01269rp1.jpg

Will update when I get the gpu on h20.

Thanks for looking, and suggestions are welcome.

I got an open box 6100-939 from the egg and it was doa =/

awesome water cooled mATX... your fans cost more than the case tho lol.

very nice case. Where is the power button on it? Pictures online don't really show from what I've seen

The power/reset audio, and usb is on the right edge of the front panel. I think I'm going to try and fit a pa160 in there.

Looks like I wasn't the only one...

img0016ed8.jpg

Did you cut out the front of yours or is it just sucking through the holes?

img0019hi8.jpg

I've chopped mine up for better airflow and cable management, I'll upload recent pics tonight.

What surprise me the most is that the interior of the case is very similar to the Silverstone TJ-08 at 1/3 the cost. With the 3.5 inch cage remove, it is possible to fit two 120.1 radiator in the front.

yes it's a tj08 except the front panel!
@armyoffoo!
Very good job! ;)

nice, just noticed you removed the drive cage. Does it unscrew or will it require powertools...?
and how's the temperatures on your hard drive up there?

@shing, Two screws, and it slides out.

@ armyoffoo, first off thanks for the case recomendation, same for the noctua fans, I'm super happy with it so far.

I haven't cut the front yet, but plan to. I can fit a 120x20 Yate between the front panel, and the actual case, as the 25mm just misses. I plan to connect the shroud and radiator (PA160) to that fan. *Fingers Crossed. And pick up an ek block for the gpu.

I'm curious what your temps are Idle/Load, and what your clocks are.

Also did you similarly cut the rear fan holes, and do have a link to the PSU Yate mod, and do you recomend it.

Again thanks for the help.

Didn't have any updated pics, so here they are. This has been an ongoing project over the past couple of weeks (not enough spare time), waiting on cable supplies to clean up my fan connections. 7 fans in this case, having issues hiding wires. No temps yet, will post when I'm done, hopefully this weekend.

...here ya go.

Front
img0103lx5.jpg

Inside
img0101mr8.jpg

Back
img0102aj2.jpg

Behind mobo
img0104mm0.jpg

Hard drive cooling solution
img0105oi6.jpg

Cover
img0106qo4.jpg

Thanks for the update! Looking, good, I'll use a couple of those ideas. As for mine, I've received my second radiator, just waiting on the barbs. I will update my pics, when I'm done ;)

*****Update*****

Well I decided to quit waiting for my wife to let me get the waterblock for my 8800, and decided to add the second radiator :) So far so good *fingers crossed* Take a Look
dsc01340ol4.jpg

dsc01338mq5.jpg

As you can see I removed the second 120 fan up front, and added an 80mm Noctua in the hdd bay, and used a fat 38mm Panaflo for the front 120 on a pull config. I'm pretty happy with it :) 21 idle, and 38 load :D

Thanks for looking.

That path you have taken seems to be working out very well for you. Perjaps you will find a waterblock under the tree.;)

Next time you strip the case, you should consider removing the fan expanded metal to let them flow better.

I'm not sure I understand. I did cut out a 120mm circle in the front of the radiator, to help with airflow.

i think he means rear.

im looking to get the tj08, which has the same internals.
i'll be doing air cooling, and i have two single platter hdd's.
i was planning to run the single 120 up front, but after seeing that you can pull the 3.5 cage, and add a second, im sold.
however, now mounting the hdd's become an issue.

do you have any recommendations?

Wow, how I did I miss this case, I would have taken this over my Microfly. Mmm...I smell a change.

can anyone see if a swiftech 240 rad fits in the front w/ the dual fans and leaves the top drive bay intact? I would like a dvd drive up top and i can run esata for the drives. Thanks
edit: or could i put two 120 radiators on their sides w/ the bards to the motherboard side of the case? I can get really "form fitting" radiators so they are like 125mm wide iirc... choices choices lol any advice would be appriciated :D

The thing I don't like about the Coolmaster case is the restrictive rear 120mm grill on the back, which could be fixed with a dremel :D . Other than that I think I'm going to do the same setup. What was the difference in temp drops after you added the 2nd radiator?

Sorry I'm a WC noobie, did you have to add more coolant when you added the 2nd radiator?

I'd assume so. THe HDD rack doesn't extend to the bottom, so I would think it could fit full video cards.

How tall is it from the bottom of the case to the last 5.25" drive bay on the bottom? was wondering if you can put a 2x120mm radiator there or if it will interfere with the bottom bay.

I am kind of a noob with watercooling.. but what is pushing the water through the radiator/hoses... I don't see the pump?

That Apogee block he has on the cpu has an integrated pump

Anyone fit a 240mm radiator up front? It looks like it would fit with removal of the drive cage.

Ok I just got this case and I was wondering if the front Mesh can be taken off from the front panel. I know the mesh can be taken out but if I want to paint the Mesh it self. Or should I just tape it off?

P.S. I loveeeed modding this thing. It was fun

That Apogee block he has on the cpu has an integrated pump
Yep, Apogee Drive. Nice for low-power computers, but I've had bad experiences for "real" loops. I tried to put one into a server- Apogee Drive + Apogee on a dual-Opteron, no video, single rad. Pump didn't have the pressure to handle it.

MCP-350/355 are decent pumps on their own, but the lack of real direction on the Drive kills it for performance rigs. Be leary of adding a restrictive block on top of your already-higher-than-Swiftech-intended double-rad.

hey dunc4n, how's the noise on that Apogee Drive? I'm considering trying out watercooling as a method of quieting down my rig. A description of noise characteristics (on the pump, not the fan) would be super!

I'm curious if it rattles, hums, etc..

looks very very nice :cool:
what CPU are you using?

would you recommend a bigger kit, or are you happy with the 2x H20-120 Compact?
im thinking about putting it all in my TT Armor case, and its very large.

everything LOOKS (need your confirmation) easy for a first time WC n00b :)

*****Update*****

Well I decided to quit waiting for my wife to let me get the waterblock for my 8800, and decided to add the second radiator :) So far so good *fingers crossed* Take a Look
dsc01340ol4.jpg

dsc01338mq5.jpg

As you can see I removed the second 120 fan up front, and added an 80mm Noctua in the hdd bay, and used a fat 38mm Panaflo for the front 120 on a pull config. I'm pretty happy with it :) 21 idle, and 38 load :D

Thanks for looking.

I sold this setup a while back.

The drive was actually very quiet. Less than the 17 DBA Noctua fans, that I had used before I sold it.

And if you got the room, go big.

Back