CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced

crowat

Limp Gawd
Hi All,

I recently became an owner of this nice case. However, I have a Cogage True Spirit and the top side fan will not fit. I am interested to see what everyone else did for the side fan issue.

P.S. I see that CM has a glass side panel on their online store for 19.99. So that is one option but I am interested what other people did.

Also, show us your setups!

Last edited:
Lol I don't have a fan in there but I am interested what people did to cover the hole?

Also, what are people's preferences mount the PSU fan up or down. Also, use the additional mesh for the PSU or go w/out the mesh.

Thanks for the help.

Finally "finished" this just in time for this past weekends LAN party. Probably won't change until I go to a full water cooling setup. The 3M di-noc film on the H50 is there because when I had it in my previous case (Scout) the logo was upside down :)

IMG_1366.jpg

I made the 24pin extension from some cable I got from a PS maker. Quite the pita to get the pins crimped on and lined up but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

IMG_1367.jpg

Third picture is of the wiring harness that powers the front panel (120mm) and rear panel (80mm) fans, the bottom intake fan (140mm), the two top exhaust fans (120mm) and the white LED bar that's hidden at the top of the case. The LED bar is also controlled by the built in light switch. The harness sends 12v to the bottom and rear panel fans as well as the LED light and 7v to the rest of the fans.

IMG_0789.JPG

I also swapped out the blue front fan for red and changed the disk activity light to blue to match the bluray drive activity light.

IMG_1372.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Steve

How did you change the activity LED?

The LED simply presses into a hole in the underside of the top panel. It's held in with a bit of hot glue. Remove the glue, desolder the red LED, solder in the Blue and reinstall. It's a friction fit so I didn't bother regluing it.

Custom window job, or... ?

Coolermaster part. Can be found at the CM Store but is apprently OOS right now. Can also be found at Tiger Direct I hear. I like it. I was going to replace the glass to remove or move the fan position but as it is right now it improves my chipset cooling by more than 10C so I haven't changed it.

Steve

Nice, ordered one just a bit ago. Cheaper/faster shipping from TG to Ohio than what it was from the CM store.

Oooo, nice! I didn't know the side panel w/window was available for sale, thanks!

EDIT: I assume that fan slot is for a 120mm? Or is it 140mm?

Last edited:
Oooo, nice! I didn't know the side panel w/window was available for sale, thanks!

EDIT: I assume that fan slot is for a 120mm? Or is it 140mm?

If I remember from the CM site the side panel w/acrylic is for 120mm fan.

It looks worlds better than their previous low to mid-range case offerings. I can't say I'm happy about the drive trays though. I will not own another Coolermaster case until they change that design. I think it is cheap, and it sucks. As for your build work itself, nicely done.

If I remember from the CM site the side panel w/acrylic is for 120mm fan.

Yep, 120mm.

It looks worlds better than their previous low to mid-range case offerings. I can't say I'm happy about the drive trays though. I will not own another Coolermaster case until they change that design. I think it is cheap, and it sucks. As for your build work itself, nicely done.

What's wrong with the drive trays? The snap in place and are pretty solid. I know they're much better than the first gen 690 drive trays.

Steve

They are flimsy and sloppy. They don't even look decent. They look cheap. Sure once there is a drive in them they get the job done well enough I suppose, but it is a far cry from a "quality" solution in my eyes.

The ones for the HDs are very good trays; those are the same ones they have in their other higher end cases (both HAFs and the ATCS 840 as well).

I've never really cared much for CM's 5.25" toolless things, but the HD ones are definitely solid; their looks are deceiving. ;)

Yeah, the 690 II Advanced drive trays are really nice. I know the 690 ones were kinda loose. The 690 II Advanced even comes with a special SSD bracket.

Edit: Yeah after re-reading Dan's note, the 5.25 drive ones are kinda loose but still pretty easy to mount and remove.

Last edited:
The ones for the HDs are very good trays; those are the same ones they have in their other higher end cases (both HAFs and the ATCS 840 as well).

I've never really cared much for CM's 5.25" toolless things, but the HD ones are definitely solid; their looks are deceiving. ;)

Yeah, the 690 II Advanced drive trays are really nice. I know the 690 ones were kinda loose. The 690 II Advanced even comes with a special SSD bracket.

Edit: Yeah after re-reading Dan's note, the 5.25 drive ones are kinda loose but still pretty easy to mount and remove.

You guys are clearly misunderstanding me. The design of the CoolerMaster drive trays in ALL of their newer cases SUCK ASS. I can't stand them. They all feel flimsy and look cheap. The HAF 932, the ATCS 840, all of them. I'm talking about the hard drive trays alone. The 5 1/4" bays are fine. They've been using that setup for some time now. It works fine. I don't care for how it looks, but it is a minor complaint. The drive trays on the other hand are a design I loathe.

Finally "finished" this just in time for this past weekends LAN party. Probably won't change until I go to a full water cooling setup. The 3M di-noc film on the H50 is there because when I had it in my previous case (Scout) the logo was upside down :)

I made the 24pin extension from some cable I got from a PS maker. Quite the pita to get the pins crimped on and lined up but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Third picture is of the wiring harness that powers the front panel (120mm) and rear panel (80mm) fans, the bottom intake fan (140mm), the two top exhaust fans (120mm) and the white LED bar that's hidden at the top of the case. The LED bar is also controlled by the built in light switch. The harness sends 12v to the bottom and rear panel fans as well as the LED light and 7v to the rest of the fans.

I also swapped out the blue front fan for red and changed the disk activity light to blue to match the bluray drive activity light.

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Awesome cable management, especially behind the motherboard tray. Props! :)

You guys are clearly misunderstanding me. The design of the CoolerMaster drive trays in ALL of their newer cases SUCK ASS. I can't stand them. They all feel flimsy and look cheap. The HAF 932, the ATCS 840, all of them. I'm talking about the hard drive trays alone. The 5 1/4" bays are fine. They've been using that setup for some time now. It works fine. I don't care for how it looks, but it is a minor complaint. The drive trays on the other hand are a design I loathe.

Interesting observation. I guess my opinion could be flawed because I can only compare the HDD trays to the old 690 ones. The only other cases I had was the first iteration of the Antec 900 and Antec 300. I never had a Lian Li/Corsair/Silverstone case so I can't compare it.

So it all ends up being what case you are coming from. For me the $/feature ratio the 690 II advanced was difficult to beat. But then again if people do not want a built in SATA dock or black interior or tool less design (although in Dan_D's opinion a sub-par one) and are looking for some other options I could see how it may not be the right case for you.

Like I said the drive trays in the newer CoolerMaster cases are terrible, but they do get the job done. I've just seen other designs that I think are 10x better than the CoolerMaster ones. Silverstone, Lian-Li, Corsair. The list goes on. Other than that I think the cases are strong offerings for the most part. Though most are too gaudy for my tastes.

I believe you get 2 fans with the basic model 140 and 120 (front and back), the advanced has an additional 140 on top.

Btw, I mounted my 120s on the top of the case (underneath the top cover). I am getting weird vibrations from time to time. I think it's the top dust filter.

On another note my clear window came in yesterday. Now all I need is the lighting and a new gfx card. Should post some pics soon!

Here are my pics finally, the clear side window and the fans came in today.
(sorry about the poor quality the dam nikon I am using sucks in low light... and I am a photo nub)

Last edited:
I have the non advanced version of the case. Its nicer than my original 690. Just have to go back and manage my cables a little better than I'll get photos up. You know how it gets near the end of your build. Just want to get done. Air flow is just as nice if not nicer, i feel more air come out the top than on my original 690

Oh sorry it_shiro i didn't even see that, honestly didn't even read the thread. all that came with it was one 120 in the back and one 120 in the front. The front has a blue led. I removed all the fans and changed them with the ones i had in my other 690 so i wasn't worried. They're not bad though i put them in my old 690 for a friend and seem to push a fair amount of air. Sorry again!

thanx good sir... i think i will order another 2 of these nzxt 140mm for the top of the case.

I def recommend the case, its really really nice still messing with the airflow and everything since i did a half rebuild. Like i said once i tiddy it up I'll post pics but glad i could be of assistance.

This case is preventing me from getting a gigabyte board because the blue looks awful with the rest of the interior.

I'm so frustrated at the lack of black motherboards.

This case is preventing me from getting a gigabyte board because the blue looks awful with the rest of the interior.

I hear you on the lack of black mobos. The closest I got is with my MSI p55-gd65. It's dark brown but looks black under the blue light in the case.

Last edited:

Gigabyte boards don't go with anything :) Worst combination of colors ever. I'm still holding out hope the new Asus Rampage III will be under $400 but I bet I'll be disappointed.

Steve

Who cares, do you stare at your motherboard or do you actually use the computer? :D

Back