Coolermaster 690 II Advance concerns

iRodent

n00b
I'm finally building a new system and have my heart set on a 692. The only thing holding me back are all the horror stories I'm reading about 'grounding' issues with the top panel and static in general killing motherboards.

Anyone have experience with the 'ground' issues and resolving it successfully? I've searched and read a few one liners like using non-painted screws, attaching a wire from the top panel to a sidepost, and even using an ohm meter to check each motherboard standoff for continuity.

I'm not sure what the proportion of users complaining about grounding issues vs. actual success stories, but from what I've read, heard, seen, etc... this is the best case for the money. I have one sitting, unopened (waiting for my parts:)). You need to take into consideration user error. Perhaps it is more susceptible to grounding problems, but in general this case is being reported as a stellar product.

I've no problems with mine. Picked it up about 6 months ago and I heard about some people with these problems, but no so far for me. Good Luck, it's a great case.

I have had zero problems with mine in the 2 weeks I've owned it so far. No complaints and no regrets :)

Here's my two cents if you care to hear. I had the case in an apartment at first and had no problems at all with ESD as in none whatsoever. Now here are the details that matter, the carpet was really short, we had an air purifier that ran almost 24/7 thereby reducing the amount of dust in the air substantially the humidity was pretty much the same as the ambient outside. Fast forward to today, I built a new system in that case and it was moved to the basement of my brother's house. First there's no more air-filter and it's quite a bit more dusty in the basement, second he has a dehumidifier running down there and had it running almost constantly, third the carpet is really cheap shag that was in the house when they moved in. So what does all this add up to, mucho static electricity! He first told me about it when he said he plugged in a usb key into the top panel and the pc restarted so this went on for a while and we both noticed in general that there was a lot of static electricity anyways. So i said turn off the dehumidifier and let's see what happens. Well que to a few days of only running it at night and well most of the static is gone. In fact i don't think he's had a single instance of reboots due to esd at the top panel. So take that for what it's worth, it's still a pretty good case and would highly recommend it. Ok wall of text, sorry.

I'm on my 2nd system in BOTH of my 690's. One is the older Version 1 and the other is the 690 II Advanced. Who ever started the rumor has more problems than a CASE!. :rolleyes:

o crap would this grounding problem cause a humming electrical noise sound? Because it doesn't seem to be coming from the fans on my storm sniper only from the top very near the controller and the dvd drive is unplugged so the only thing I can think of is the controller, and if i press down on the top on the case with my finger the huming sound becomes constant and louder...

Thanks for the replies! I'm glad this issue isn't as widespread as I feared.

dclprojekt, that's pretty interesting that the humidity. I don't run any dehumidifiers here and have short carpet. I honestly don't think I've ever been shocked here.

techpriest, sounds like something is possibly lose and vibrating maybe?

I honestly don't think you'll have a problem op good luck and let us know what you decide to go with.

Back