Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1250w Power Supply

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1250w Power Supply - Cooler Master serves us up 1250 watts of power today with a new computer power supply that is sporting six +12v rails and enough 6-pin and 8-pin PCIe power connectors to handle up to three video cards. All with a 5 year warranty.

The Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1250w is the modern day Achilles. The unit has great DC output quality, excellent efficiency, good voltage regulation, and is outfitted for most high end of systems with its amazing connector count coupled with a very good 12v rail arrangement. However, like Achilles someone forgot to dip the primary side in the river Styx as the unit is only able to deliver 75% of its power at 100v AC input.

So I can't use this in an Über-Rig in Japan (100v mains)???

;)

Well, yeah actually it would be an issue in that circumstance as well.

So I can't use this in an Über-Rig in Japan (100v mains)???

;)
Japan may officially be 100Vac, but I think it's very common for voltage to be around 90Vac at the outlet. Similar to how I have found it's common in the states for me to see 112-115Vac.

I love all these PSU reviews!

some cars require premium and run poorly on 87 octane. so maybe cooler master should just change its labelling to indicate the power supply needs 110v for best performance.

all my systems are behind good UPSs that can correct brownouts down to 90v. anyone buying a high end power supply will surely pair it with a good UPS thus making the 100v 'failure' a non-issue.

some cars require premium and run poorly on 87 octane. so maybe cooler master should just change its labelling to indicate the power supply needs 110v for best performance.

all my systems are behind good UPSs that can correct brownouts down to 90v. anyone buying a high end power supply will surely pair it with a good UPS thus making the 100v 'failure' a non-issue.

Well actually the thing had GREAT performance at 100v input, it just would not do full load. So I think you could use the thing in Japan all day long at 75% without a problem. ;p

The fact is though like they said, they are rating it on a set of rules. It doesn't matter how little it might effect people, or what you can do to cut down on it being an issue. The fact is that it doesn't work under all of their test.

I myself am glad to see they didnt' ignore that peice of data and give it an award.

So how would this affect a computer if you had the power supply and you had a brownout or whatever to to get the voltage to drop to 100v, would the computer shut off immediatly due to the power supply only suppling 75% of it's power? So basically in all other aspects, as long as you supply it with the proper 120v you shouldn't have any trouble?

I don't understand electronics very well, sorry.:eek:

If you are running at under a 75% load (you are using less that 924W) and your power drops down to 100v from 120 you would be fine. If your using over 75% (or in other words using just under 1000W or more) and your power drops your machine would turn off just as if you had fully lost power.

Unless you live in an area were brownouts are common or you have too much crap running on your home breakers in addition to having enough stuff in your case to draw about 1000W of power you should be fine from what the HardOCP test have shown. If you need over 1000W of power or more and live in an area were you might only get 100v of power at times, then you will have trouble.

anyone buying a high end power supply will surely pair it with a good UPS thus making the 100v 'failure' a non-issue.

Not necessarily true. To this day there are still people buying $3000+ in computer parts and still hooking it all up to a power supply that cost them less than $70 shipped.

If you are running at under a 75% load (you are using less that 924W) and your power drops down to 100v from 120 you would be fine. If your using over 75% (or in other words using just under 1000W or more) and your power drops your machine would turn off just as if you had fully lost power.

Unless you live in an area were brownouts are common or you have too much crap running on your home breakers in addition to having enough stuff in your case to draw about 1000W of power you should be fine from what the HardOCP test have shown. If you need over 1000W of power or more and live in an area were you might only get 100v of power at times, then you will have trouble.

Well dang, is there even a consumer system (i.e. a gaming computer that a normal consumer can put together) out there that can put out that kind of continuous load (1000W) to that PSU?? I'm just trying to put this in perspective.

Hi Guy's, some of you may know me as Slaymate from a few other sites :)
I recently received this exact same PS to review for another site (HWHell, part
of the GamersHell Network). I can only say I wish I had the test equipment
that you guys have, HardOCP rocks :) I was extremely impressed with this
PS, but my testing just involved hooking up every piece of hardware I could
to it and running every stress test and benchmark at the same time and then
reading the volts with a meter. I wasn't given a MSRP for this unit but it's surely
gonna be in the +$300 range. Overall I'm very happy with it. My previous PS
was a PC Pwr. & Clg 1000W model and this unit runs when the PC Pwr. &
Clg. 1000W won't. So it does have the power, maybe not the full 1250W at
100v but more than 1000W just the same. I usually give my review items away,
but I'm keeping this one :)
Here are my system spec.'s
- Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700
- EVGA 680i SLI mobo
- Corsair 2x 1GB XMS2 PC2 8500
- (2) XFX 8800 GTX
- (2) Western Digital 80GB sata @ Raid0
- (2) Maxtor 250GB sata @ Raid0
- Samsung 20x DVD Burner sata
- Sony NEC 16x DVD-ROM ide
- NEC FDD
- Cooler Master GeminII Heat Sink w/ (2) Silverstone FM121 120mm fans
- Cooler Master CM Stacker Full Tower Case
- (3) 120mm and (1) 80mm fans for case ventilation
- usb devices / Logitech MX 1000 mouse, MS Natural Keyboard, Logitech MOMO FF Steering Wheel, Kodak Camera, SansDisk 2GB Flash Drive (Ready Boost)
- Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
- Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1250W Power Supply.

Seems a little shaky to rate it down because it doesn't perform at 100% under brownout conditions. Almost like rating a car down because it doesn't run well when you cut the gas with 10% Pepsi. Maybe you should test its performance when you jury-rig it to hook up to a 600V welding outlet?

I realize that brownouts happen but to rate a product down because of an environmental condition beyond the manufacturer's control seems cheap. The manufacturer has to assume some reasonable variables like voltage at the outlet.

HardOCP's testing regimen at times seems arbitrary and over-the-top, and not in a good way. Just because you make a test difficult to pass doesn't make it a good test.

DanThePlanMan--Overall I'm very happy with it. My previous PS
was a PC Pwr. & Clg 1000W model and this unit runs when the PC Pwr. &
Clg. 1000W won't.

ok....whatever.......to be honest I hardly doubt that!
But then again I would put the PC Power & Cooling 1k against the Coolermaster 1250w PSU any day of the week!

In fact lets get even bolder....1 year from now both PSU running continiously at max output the PC Power & Cooling will be purring or roaring right along like the everready bunny!!

peace!!

Maybe you guys need a "bronze" award or something, if you don't have one already because it does seem like a really good unit, but no award seems a little out of place. Anyhow, nice review - I enjoyed it.

Also, no Digg link?

"An [H] Editor’s Choice PSU" What PSU have won this award? I am lazy and find it sort of dificult to find the PSU the [H] likes.

"An [H] Editor’s Choice PSU" What PSU have won this award? I am lazy and find it sort of dificult to find the PSU the [H] likes.
Off the top of my head I think all the Enermax's and Corsairs they reviewed have. As well as select products from PCPC and Ultra.

I spent around $200 on my psu. i know thats one thing you dont skip on when building a high end computer. and yes this is my first o/c on a computer.

Spec's

Thermaltake Armor series 8000
Thermaltake Toughpower Cable Management 700W
Asus P5K-V
Intel Q6600 G0 3.0/1333 Vcore 1.3250
Zalman 9500
Cosair XMS 2 DDR800 2x2GB underclocked 667 FSB: Dram 1:1 4-4-4-13 T2
PowerColor 1950Pro X2 Cooler
WD 74gb 10k raptor 16mb sata 150 WD 160gb 7.2k 16mb sata 300
2x Lite-on Dvd-rw's LS

i dont like going cheap on psu's

because if you are buying nice parts why skip on a psu that will cost you in the long run

I propose a new testing standard, it you tie all the +12 rails together and it will jump start a KIA (in Japan) - Gold Award.

With the graphics and cpu die shrinks coming up negating (even in SLI) the need for such super high powered supplies even in high end consumer sustems, I wonder what sales "hook" will be next . (oops forgot about quad Xfire).

I spent around $200 on my psu. i know thats one thing you dont skip on when building a high end computer. and yes this is my first o/c on a computer.

i dont like going cheap on psu's

because if you are buying nice parts why skip on a psu that will cost you in the long run
Cost/performance ratio. You can get quality without breaking the budget and blindly wasting your money. There are many high quality offerings in the $80-150 range that are plenty adequate for today's and maybe tomorrows gaming systems.

Seems a little shaky to rate it down because it doesn't perform at 100% under brownout conditions. Almost like rating a car down because it doesn't run well when you cut the gas with 10% Pepsi. Maybe you should test its performance when you jury-rig it to hook up to a 600V welding outlet?

I realize that brownouts happen but to rate a product down because of an environmental condition beyond the manufacturer's control seems cheap.

The manufacturer has to assume some reasonable variables like voltage at the outlet.

Yes they do assume reasonable variables like votlage at the outlet. As was pointed out in the article the unit is specified as full range from 90v to 264v which 100v falls in the range of. So I don't see what your point is exactly. The unit was specified for an input range, we tested it in that range it didn't work.

HardOCP's testing regimen at times seems arbitrary and over-the-top, and not in a good way. Just because you make a test difficult to pass doesn't make it a good test.

What exactly is arbitrary and over the top? How how would you like us to loosen the standards so more units of lesser quality than the CoolerMaster make it through and users buy them thinking it is a top notch performer?

Maybe you guys need a "bronze" award or something, if you don't have one already because it does seem like a really good unit, but no award seems a little out of place. Anyhow, nice review - I enjoyed it.

This was probably the toughest unit to date not to give an award too. It performed very very well and I would venture to say that 99% of users would be blown away about and users who have it should NOT get rid of it based on this review. The unit is very very good, unfortunately it has one issue that keeps it from being excellent.

Also, no Digg link?

No, not everything gets submitted to digg. We will of course add links to content we feel should be submitted in the future.

I love your power supply reviews. I have a question though, and I think it coincides with BillParrish, but what computers are actually going to use 1250 watts of power? I'm not saying you guys are testing wrong, not by any means, but I just wonder what type of regular enthusiast system could use 1250 watts of power. I mean, even a Q6600 system w/ 8800GTX x3 would be up around, say... 800 watts? Maybe 900 if you were really pushing the overclocks. And that's probably being pretty generous with the wattages. It's a question I've had for a while :confused:

I love your power supply reviews. I have a question though, and I think it coincides with BillParrish, but what computers are actually going to use 1250 watts of power?

Quad FX (dual Socket 1207) with four way Crossfire and a 6 drive RAID array?

Quad FX (dual Socket 1207) with four way Crossfire and a 6 drive RAID array?

I guess that's getting there... but if you have all that, you mineaswell buy the 1600Watt Ultra since you're going for e-peen anyways :p

I'm wondering if anyone else noticed that the packaging specified a lower range of 90v AC input, whereas the sticker on the PSU specified a lower range of 100v on the input. Its an interesting anomoly.

Either way, the way [H] tested fell within the range, and I REALLY enjoy thier PSU reviews. VERY thourough, unlike many websites that just shove a voltmeter into the ATX plug. Thats useless.

If I was going to buy a very high end PSU, this would go on my list near the top because of the features, especially because its quiet. I like quiet. I've replaced nearly all my fans with 120mm ones (including my CPU), and I have a giant heatsink on my mobo chipset so that it can be passive.

I also have a high end UPS, which can easily keep my system above 100v.
Its a 2200va Smart-Ups that keeps the voltage between 106v and 127v. Very nice true sine wave unit. I'm never going to use more than a fraction of its power, but I like the long battery run time.

Plus I very much doubt I'd ever even hit 75% of total load on a PSU like this :)

Anyway, I agree with [H], if they have a policy of only giving editor's choice to units that pass all the tests, then they should not give one to this unit. Stand on your principles.
Any individual who wants to make an informed choice will likely read through reviews such as this and make the choice based upon the content of the review, not just the editor's choice.
Those who make the choices based soley on editor's choice kinda thing are probably not going to be buying such a high end expensive unit anyway :) And if they did, its not like they would be making a bad choice by going with any of the high end units that got that from [H]. :)

Hello.
First post here (long time reader).

I was just wondering when this PSU is going to hit the shelves (online or local).

I havent been able to find it anywhere.

A good unit, but it just fell behind the elite units by a whisker. I wonder why Enhance are skimping out on the secondary side? Su'scon? :rolleyes: If they wanted to cut costs, they could have made it an all Teapo affair. But honestly, why cut costs on a high power unit?

Back