Cooler Master Hyper 212 PLUS or Xigmatek HDT-S1283?

techbob

Limp Gawd
I need to place the order for a new cooler ASAP for an AMD X4 system. The CPU will be either a AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 125w, AMD Phenom II X4 945 or I may hold out a bit for the new lower wattage 955 - HDX955WFK4DGM rated at 95W.

For now I'll use a spare AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ x2 3.1 Ghz (Brisbane).

-The case is Antec Solo.
-Motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H (already have it, long story...)

I have it narrowed down to:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 PLUS

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 - with ACK-ATI775 Crossbow mounting kit. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233060

I want to change the orientation of the cpu cooler fan from south/north to east/west so the hot air is pushed out the back. The Solo case doesn't have a fan on top.

Suggestions? If there are alternatives great, but I narrowed it down to one of these.

What's important is:
1. Cooling ability - I think they are about equal
2. Low noise without changing fans - Xigmatek wins I think
3. Easy install - Xigmatek wins again.

I'll be taking apart 2 PC's and switching some components and this will take some time.

Price is about the same - S1283 is a bit more and the Hyper 212 PLUS is out of stock everywhere except Ebay, and big $$$ from Newegg.

Thanks!!!

Between those two, the S1283. That said, I had a S1283 and dumped it for the Megahalems and have never looked back. The S1283 just couldn't keep up at higher clocks. Granted, X3220/Q6600 is higher TDP than what you're considering I think.

Between those two, the S1283. That said, I had a S1283 and dumped it for the Megahalems and have never looked back. The S1283 just couldn't keep up at higher clocks. Granted, X3220/Q6600 is higher TDP than what you're considering I think.

I looked at the Megahalems. The thing is so big I'm afraid I'd crack the MB - I'm a little clumsy sometimes. WIth the fan it would set me back $70 but size is the primary issue. Also there's the fan decision...

The mounting system is the best I've ever seen -- the Xbow kit for the S1283 is good, but the Megahalems system is better. You won't crack anything, I can promise that. I've also moved my case around a good bit without any issues.

The Hyper 212, if you are going to do ebay - considerably quieter fan (http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2233&page=3), much better mounting system (spring tensioned, held down at 5 points)

I would not pay $50 for a heatsink, personally. At that point, you might as well spend the extra bucks to get one of the best.

I can spend more but want it to be quiet and simple install and not massive like Mugen 2. I'll be switching CPU's from time to time and seems like the fan mounting system on the Xig - the rubber grommet things between the pins my be a PITA to take on and off.

I can spend more but want it to be quiet and simple install and not massive like Mugen 2. I'll be switching CPU's from time to time and seems like the fan mounting system on the Xig - the rubber grommet things between the pins my be a PITA to take on and off.

It's admittedly not the most fun I've ever had dealing with something like that. I tend to just use zip ties though, so fan mounting systems don't really matter to me.

It's admittedly not the most fun I've ever had dealing with something like that. I tend to just use zip ties though, so fan mounting systems don't really matter to me.

Sorry, I didn't take your recommendation and just ordered the Xig with crossbow bracket.
When you had the S1283 you attached the fan with zip ties? If it's possible I'll do that!

Back