Cooler Master HAF 922 case with AORUS Radeon RX 6800 XT

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a Cooler Master HAF 922 case, it states that the longest card it can take is 31 cm (12.2047 inches). The AORUS Radeon RX 6800 XT card I want to purchase is 12.76 inches, is there any way that I could make it fit?

The reason I want to get that brand GPU is that I read it's very quiet, is there a different 6800XT that is just as quiet?

Reactions: maro
like this
start cutting or buy a shorter card.

1655776291534.png

Cut or sell it and buy a haf 932 to cut less, it's only missing 0.134016" out of the box for that card.

Reactions: maro
like this
I have a HAF932 and you can easily remove the HDD cage by removing the 4(IIRC) aluminum pop rivets they used to attach it to the bottom of the case. Doing so pretty much gives you enough room to accomodate just about any GPU - I daresay ANY GPU cause IIRC it'll give you about 15.5" of space.

... but that's a 932. Going by pendragon's example you would need to remove the HDD cage as well as trim or remove the 5.25" cage (more rivets)... perhaps get away with removing the HDD cage only and use the secondary PCIE slot in the 922

...and by the time you've done this you've had to remove everything to avoid any metal shavings and other contaminants and it may be easier to just get another case.

I did love my 932 though, even going so far as to buy a little front panel dock to provide modern usb 3 and usb c support so I can understand...

I have a HAF932 and you can easily remove the HDD cage by removing the 4(IIRC) aluminum pop rivets they used to attach it to the bottom of the case. Doing so pretty much gives you enough room to accomodate just about any GPU - I daresay ANY GPU cause IIRC it'll give you about 15.5" of space.

... but that's a 932. Going by pendragon's example you would need to remove the HDD cage as well as trim or remove the 5.25" cage (more rivets)... perhaps get away with removing the HDD cage only and use the secondary PCIE slot in the 922

...and by the time you've done this you've had to remove everything to avoid any metal shavings and other contaminants and it may be easier to just get another case.

I did love my 932 though, even going so far as to buy a little front panel dock to provide modern usb 3 and usb c support so I can understand...

I'm about to do exactly this to mod my 11 year old HAF 932 to fit my new 6900XT (333mm).

Can you link me to the front panel dock you're referring to? I'd love to ass something like this to mine as well.

Can you link me to the front panel dock you're referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078Z568GJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I bought a couple years ago. I went with the smaller 3.5" and used the original front panel with the opening for the FDD. This one was a little pricey when I got it ($30) but there were few good options at the time. There are likely cheaper ones, but I liked this one has a black anodized brushed aluminum front plate, instead of plastic.

**edit - this will only work for a motherboard that has the headers to connect to a front panel. 20 pin for the usb 3 and a mini-20 pin for usb c.
***edit I just noticed that link is for a used one from amazon warehouse - looks like new are unavailable/not in stock. The one I got was the same one but new not amazon warehouse - it was $10 more too...

Does anyone remember the cool but relatively small Centurion 5 case?
1659726287218.png

I was able to remove the HDD cage from this last week so I could install a R9 Fury into my friend's ancient x58 PC.
GPU space went from about 11.75" to over 15"

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just realized something today and needed to follow up on my previous post about my modded HAF932. I'm thinking about using it again and decided to dig it up.

It turns out it's a HAF912...

IMG_0760.jpg
IMG_0761.jpg

As you can see with the HDD cage removed you get over 16 inches/400mm of space. The top pcie slot will just clear the front 5.25" cage although you may have to bend a couple small metal tabs. The other pic shows the usb 3.0/usb c adapter. The MB currently in it looks tiny cause it is, it's a matx I threw in there last year for my nephew.

I have a new PSU arriving this week and I'm seriously considering going back to the ol' HAF.

This also brings up the mystery of where my missing HAF932 is

Last edited:
I just realized something today and needed to follow up on my previous post about my modded HAF932. I'm thinking about using it again and decided to dig it up.

It turns out it's a HAF912...

View attachment 500981View attachment 500980

As you can see with the HDD cage removed you get over 16 inches/400mm of space. The top pcie slot will just clear the front 5.25" cage although you may have to bend a couple small metal tabs. The other pic shows the usb 3.0/usb c adapter. The MB currently in it looks tiny cause it is, it's a matx I threw in there last year for my nephew.

I have a new PSU arriving this week and I'm seriously considering going back to the ol' HAF.

This also brings up the mystery of where my missing HAF932 is
I'm about to do exactly the same mods as you've done, in my 932. I just can't justify spending $100 on a new case for my upgrade, when all I really need it for is the front USB 3.2 ports...
Kudos to you for re-using. I'm gonna do the same.

Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding a 5.25" USB 3.2 panel for less than like $40, which seems insane to me....

Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding a 5.25" USB 3.2 panel for less than like $40, which seems insane to me....
Yea I paid $30 for mine back when I got it and that was for the 3.5" one. It looks like that same company does make the same thing for 5.25" but it's also $30 on Amazon.

I have a Cooler Master HAF 922 case...
OP, What did you end up doing with the case/GPU?

Original poster here with the HAF 922.

What's the best way to cut the metal cages completely out? What tool do I need?I really like this old case because I put a lot of sound deadening materials in it and I could care less if the newer cases have RGB lights and whatnot. Plus I just don't want to spend another $150 or even more on a case when I can just use this old one, it's tucked away so I don't even see it.

Drilling out the rivets and removing the cage(s) is the easiest, least destructive way.

Metal shavings are inevitable so beware.
For aluminum rivets choose a drill bit large enough to cut the head off, it is not necessary to dril through the entire rivet, or even the hole it was in. You'll find with a little finesse you can spin the head off with minimal destruction and shavings. After the first couple you'll see what I'm talking about. After that a little wiggling pops them free.
Be careful which rivets you drill.
Good luck on your HAF project!

Last edited:
CP and Maro, thanks for the tip. Your case looks NICE! And clean too. I would imagine you could put any GPU you wanted in there correct? How many inches are there now for a GPU? 17"?

Also, it's interesting that someone else did what I wanted to do to the HAF 922 case, it being so old and all and not so common anymore.

Update:

I just got done cutting and installing my new PC parts. I cut out the bottom HD brackets and top CD/DVD drive brackets and went from a max 12.2047 inches clearance for a GPU to a whopping 18 inches!

You may be wondering, "Hulk, why not just buy a NEW PC case?"

1) I like this case, it's over 10 years old but they don't make them like they used to. Remember the Ratpadz XT mousepad? Yeah, I still have mine and it's over 10 years old, they don't make them anymore. Remember the Microsoft SideWinder Gaming Mouse? Mine finally broke after 10 years and "new" ones are $150!

2) I already added sound deadner to around the PC parts years ago and now that the case was empty I was able to fully sound deaden it. The two HDDs are totally silent.

3) I don't care what the outside of the case looks like so I could care less about windows, lights, etc. In fact, on this case there was a small window, I covered it all up.

4) It was fun cutting it. I also increased the fan hole on bottom and rear exhaust from 120mm to 140mm

One thing that I'm not too happy about (it's been 10 years since my last build) is that the rear exhaust fan (the brown one) is hooked up to Fan Optinal header and it can't be controlled speed wise, so it runs at 100% at all times. It's not super loud, but I will have to fix it soon.

List of parts because people are asking:

Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus
Intel i7-12700K
Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Dual-Tower CPU Cooler 140mm

Corsair RMX RM 1000x

Two 1TB 7200 RPM HDDS (for music/photos, they are duplicates in case one fails)
One Inland 256 GB SSD
One Inland 1TB SSD
One WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe
One Inland 2TB NVME

And the best part is I still have room for two more NVMes!

I have all of my steam/rockstar/etc. games downloaded to 3 out of the 4 SSDs/NVMes and they aren't even at 50% full (each) and I have over 30 games on the PC.

Attachments

• R0000667.JPG
    R0000667.JPG
    477.3 KB · Views: 0
  • R0000665.JPG
    R0000665.JPG
    433.9 KB · Views: 0
  • R0000663.JPG
    R0000663.JPG
    393.2 KB · Views: 0
  • R0000662.JPG
    R0000662.JPG
    348.2 KB · Views: 0
  • R0000661.JPG
    R0000661.JPG
    437.3 KB · Views: 0
  • R0000660.JPG
    R0000660.JPG
    332.7 KB · Views: 0
  • R0000668.JPG
    R0000668.JPG
    439 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
a little more than probably needed but that works!
I may have went a little bit overboard with the Dremel tool but to be fair it was a lot easier to cut the screws holding the two cages together than to actually make cuts in the cages themselves.

Back