Cooler Master HAF 912 "RESURREKTION" Case Mod

hr_giger_dies_passing_tribute_memorial_may_2014_tribute_mnpctech.jpg

Hans Rudolf "Ruedi" Giger passed away today. The Godfather of Biomechanical art and Xenomorph from ALIEN movie series

February 2, 1940 – May 12, 2014

Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._R._Giger

Those of you who are close friends or have followed my work, know I'm a longtime fan of HR Giger. This project was inspired by him. It has gone through many changes over the past 7 years due to lack of time, or maybe I just never wanted the journey to end. Coincidentally before my friend told me about HR Giger’s passing this morning, I was talking with Bitfenix about sponsoring my project with a new Fury Power Supply. My good friend, EEL Ambiense and I had already been planning a build in anticipation of the ALIEN movie inspired game "Alien Isolation" coming out this fall. We both agreed that we needed to finish our personal projects before starting this joint venture.Hearing this news today only validated that it’s the right time to get my build finished.

Giger's recent passing has made this project now a priority for me. Intel 1155, i7 3770, 3.5 GHz CPU will be cooled by Swiftech's new Apogee XL waterblock. My good friend EEL Ambiense has offered to create a new H.R. GIGER inspired cover plate for the Apogee XL. PPC is offering a variety of custom covers for these blocks, HERE

We're still debating about the design... I just may go with "H.R. GIGER, 1940 - 2014", since this has become a tribute build to him.

swiftech_apogee_xl_cpu_waterblock_hr_giger_tribute_ultimate_gaming_pc_mnpctech1.jpg

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_2014_2015_2016_haf_x_xb_stacker_window_biomechanical9y.jpg

Test Fitting Hardware Labs Black Ice NEMESIS 360 GTX Radiator. The chassis is a Cooler Master HAF 912, rotated 90 degrees.

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_2014_2015_2016_haf_x_xb_stacker_window_biomechanical9z1.jpg

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_2014_2015_2016_haf_x_xb_stacker_window_biomechanical9z2.jpg

Working on a bracket this afternoon for mounting the 360GTX radiator. For CPU loop, I'm using Black Ice Nemesis 120 GTX Radiator, mounted in the top, which is actually the rear exhaust fan hole. I rotated the Cooler Master HAF 912 chassis 90 degrees. It has aBlack anodized Overkill 120mm Fan Ring mounted over it.

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_2014_2015_2016_haf_x_xb_stacke_biomechanical_overkill_ring.jpg

Ditching the front HD for this Stainless Steel reservoir, made by Cheapskate for the Lanboy Apocalypse build from 4 years ago... This is for the Crossfire GPU liquid loop. To hold the res, I'm using this vented anodized aluminum panel I cannibalized from NZXT Khaos full tower few years ago. I will be mounting Black plastic flexible conduit between the fins.

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_mnpctech_hr_giger_art_tribute1.jpg

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_mnpctech_hr_giger_art_tribute2.jpg

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_mnpctech_hr_giger_art_tribute3.jpg

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_mnpctech_hr_giger_art_tribute4.jpg

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_mnpctech_hr_giger_art_tribute5.jpg

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_mnpctech_hr_giger_art_tribute6.jpg

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_mnpctech_hr_giger_art_tribute7.jpg

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_mnpctech_hr_giger_art_tribute8.jpg

I'm wrapping the TYGON tubing with this Black Wire Sleeving, http://mnpctech.com/pc-sleeving-psu...coolermaster-modular/pc-psu-sleeving-kit.html

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_mnpctech_hr_giger_tygon_hose_black_sleeve1.jpg

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_mnpctech_hr_giger_tygon_hose_black_sleeve2.jpg

Last edited:
Front is still in progress, I have more flexible conduit to add, and here is the stainless res mounted on front, and will be airbrushing it, among with other portion of the exterior Thursday morning

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_mnpctech_hr_giger_art_tribute9a.jpg

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_mnpctech_hr_giger_art_tribute9.jpg

This is the coolest case mod I've ever seen in my life. Hands down. I cannot wait to see the finished product

Thank you for tuning in and watching guys!

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_mnpctech_hr_giger_hwl_back_ice_120GTSa.jpg

*Hardware Labs Black ICE NEMESIS 120GTS with Scythe 120mm fan for CPU loop

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_mnpctech_hr_giger_hwl_back_ice_120GTSb.jpg

*Hardware Labs Black ICE NEMESIS 360GTX with Panaflo L1A 120mm fans for GPU loop with Black acrylic 3.120 / 360 PC Radiator grill, "H" design reminded me of HR GIGER

1radgrillheatkiller360.mnpctech.com1.jpg

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_mnpctech_hr_giger_hwl_back_ice_120GTSc.jpg

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_mnpctech_hr_giger_hwl_back_ice_120GTSd.jpg

Using spring loaded res bracket from I&H, I like how they look like claws, he gave me these before I&H closed their doors few years ago.

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_mnpctech_hr_giger_hwl_back_ice_120GTSe.jpg

Apogee XL cpu waterblock and EK 190 reservoir installed with Primochill Ghost Revolver fittings, ready bending PETG tubing.

For the liquid loops, I'm using Clear Plastic PETG Tubing from Excelon. This is the same material used to make Pop bottles, so it won't stain and it's also shatter resistant. Video of PETG tubing for PC hardline. Primochill Clear version of PETG isn't any different than what McMaster sells for less, which is purchased and resold direct from Excelon, who is largest manufacturer of PETG.

Purchase PETG Tubing, 1/2" OD x 3/8" ID, McMaster.com #9245K21

PETG only works with Fittings for 1/2" OD Tubing, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2yZsIzHYdg

PDF Data Sheet for PETG Tubing made by Excelon
http://www.thermoplasticprocesses.com/sites/default/files/tpi-petg.pdf

I'm using Primoshill "Revolver" compression fittings, but I've painted mine Matte Black.

Here are the steps involved in working with PETG, same identical procedure as cutting and bending the Acrylic tubing from Primochill, so here are the photos I used for the Frozen Tech Station build for FrozenCPU.

primochill_guide_rigid_acylic_tube_bend_jig_ghost_compression_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech1.jpg

primochill_guide_rigid_acylic_tube_bend_jig_ghost_compression_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech3.jpg

I'm using a Jewelers hand saw, but Hack saw with bi-metal cutting blade also works great.

primochill_guide_rigid_acylic_tube_bend_jig_ghost_compression_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech5.jpg

Cutting down the PETG tubing to length

primochill_guide_rigid_acylic_tube_bend_jig_ghost_compression_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech5.jpg

To clean and debur edges of the PETG plastic tubing, you can use hand file or medium grit sandpaper. I've opted for quicker solution and used Plumber's tubing reamer. You can pick-up these Tubing / Pipe Reamers at most Home Improvement Stores, in their Plumbing Aisle. Pretty handy tool for this task, so placed a bulk wholesale order and stocking them here, Acrylic / PETG / Pipe / Tubing Reamer

tube_reamer_tool_primochill_acylic_tube_ghost_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech_tool1_ibs8-m4.jpg

primochill_guide_rigid_acylic_tube_bend_jig_ghost_compression_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech_reamer2.jpg

Place reamer on flat surface, hold it in place, apply pressure while twisting or rotating tube clockwise or counter clockwise*between three blades, then flip reamer upside down and repeat for inner diameter.

primochill_guide_rigid_acylic_tube_bend_jig_ghost_compression_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech_reamer3.jpg

...then flip reamer upside down and repeat for inner diameter.

primochill_guide_rigid_acylic_tube_bend_jig_ghost_compression_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech5_tube2.jpg

It does decent job...*you can also use medium grit sandpaper or hand file as alternative*

primochill_guide_rigid_acylic_tube_bend_jig_ghost_compression_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech9a.jpg

Place Primshill "Revolver" compression fitting shell over PETG tube first, then o-ring

primochill_guide_rigid_acylic_tube_bend_jig_ghost_compression_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech9b.jpg

then insert tubing into compression fitting...

primochill_guide_rigid_acylic_tube_bend_jig_ghost_compression_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech9c.jpg

primochill_guide_rigid_acylic_tube_bend_jig_ghost_compression_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech9d.jpg

primochill_guide_rigid_acylic_tube_bend_jig_ghost_compression_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech9d1.jpg

Silicone Fill Tubing, insert into PETG Tubing, 1/2" OD x 3/8" ID, ordered from McMaster.com #9245K21

primochill_guide_rigid_acylic_tube_bend_jig_ghost_compression_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech9d2.jpg

Dip the Silicone Fill Tubing in Dish Soap water

primochill_guide_rigid_acylic_tube_bend_jig_ghost_compression_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech9d3.jpg

Insert Silicone Fill tubing into the .5" PETG tube before heating the Tubing.

Hold the PETG tubing around 4" above the heat, and keep rotating the PETG tubing over the heat.

PETG tubing is easy to bend by hand, but if you prefer, I made this PETG Tubing Bending Jig, from Acrylic!

primochill_guide_rigid_acylic_tube_bend_jig_ghost_compression_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech9d5a.jpg

I made it from .5" Clear Acrylic scrap from the workshop. For the bends, I used these aluminum PC case feet Billet PC Case Feet[/b] for two different sized PETG tubing bends.

1-3/4" pc case foot diameter, https://mnpctech.com/pc-computer-st...-rack-server-case-feet/grooved-case-feet.html
Machined.Billet.Case.Feet.jpg

1" diameter pc case foot, https://mnpctech.com/pc-computer-stereo-desktop-case-feet/mini-itx-pc-case-feet.html
itx_matx_computer_case_feet_mnpctech.com1.jpg

primochill_guide_rigid_acylic_tube_bend_jig_ghost_compression_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech9d4.jpg

primochill_guide_rigid_acylic_tube_bend_jig_ghost_compression_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech9d5.jpg

Placing .5" OD PETG Tubing along channel and 1" case foot, to create 90 degree bend.

primochill_guide_rigid_acylic_tube_bend_jig_ghost_compression_fitting_hardline_pc_mnpctech9d6.jpg

1_cooler_master_case_mod_contest_mnpctech_hr_giger_tygon_petg_tubing_bend1.jpg

I could have never done with type of bend with .5" OD flex tubing, without it kinking

You bet, and recently noticed mcmaster is now shipping the PETG tubing in individual plastic bags, after we complained about the tubing getting scratched. If you order some, let me know how your tubing arrived.

This is awesome. I love the look of that waterblock. Looking forward to more updates.

Thank you for the kind comment and watching DD!

adata_ssd_ddr3_logo_mnpctech_case_mod.jpg

ADATA was founded the same year as Mnpctech, in 2001. I've used ADATA DDR and SSDs in several of our custom PC builds for it's reliability and their exceptional customer support. This project will utilize 32GB ADATA XPG DDR3 and 256GB Preimere Pro SP920SS SSD.

1_adata_cooler_master_mnpctech_intel_amd_waterblock_swiftech_apogee_xl_mod_asus_evga_nvidia_biomechanical_design_hr_giger_tribute7.jpg

1_adata_cooler_master_mnpctech_intel_amd_waterblock_swiftech_apogee_xl_mod_asus_evga_nvidia_biomechanical_design_hr_giger_tribute8.jpg

1_adata_cooler_master_mnpctech_intel_amd_waterblock_swiftech_apogee_xl_mod_asus_evga_nvidia_biomechanical_design_hr_giger_tribute9.jpg

amd_radeon_r9_overclock_overheat_cool_mnpctech_syscooling_waterblock1.jpg

I've worked with AMD on several different projects. My first build for them was Project Phenom for 2006 Cebit Sow in Germany. AMD delivers good performance for your dollar. I'm using two Radeon R9 270X video cards with Copper blocks from Syscooling.

1_cooler_master_mnpctech_intel_amd_waterblock_swiftech_apogee_xl_mod_asus_evga_nvidia_biomechanical_design_hr_giger_tribute9b.jpg

1_cooler_master_mnpctech_intel_amd_waterblock_swiftech_apogee_xl_mod_asus_evga_nvidia_biomechanical_design_hr_giger_tribute9a.jpg

1_cooler_master_mnpctech_intel_amd_waterblock_swiftech_apogee_xl_mod_asus_evga_nvidia_biomechanical_design_hr_giger_tribute7.jpg

1_cooler_master_mnpctech_intel_amd_waterblock_swiftech_apogee_xl_mod_asus_evga_nvidia_biomechanical_design_hr_giger_tribute8.jpg

The loop layout and selection of fittings hasn't been finalized in these photos.

1_cooler_master_mnpctech_intel_amd_waterblock_swiftech_apogee_xl_mod_asus_evga_nvidia_biomechanical_design_hr_giger_tribute9.jpg

So to summarize everything... It started on this build in 2006, but got it shelved several times for customer commitments. What prompted me to finally get it done? H.R. GIGER's Passing on May 12, 2014. If you've never heard of him, you've probably seen his artwork. He was most well known for his Visual Effects and design work on the first Alien movie, in which he created iconic "Xenomorph" ALIEN. Long before working on that movie, he had established career as a painter, and had a very distinctive style that blended human bodies and machines that he described as "Biomechanical"

The hardware is combination of old and new, since progress has been staggered over past 3 years. The chassis is a Cooler Master 912 turned 90 degrees, and it's been 3 years since the ASUS P67 Sabertooth TUF shield was airbrushed with the Giger theme. The system has two separate liquid loops, the stainless tube reservoir is for the Radeon Crossfire GPU loop (2x 270x) with Hardware Labs Black Ice 360 GTX. This radiator is cooled with Panaflo L1A (38mm thick, 68.9 CFM. Max. noise: 30.0 dB-A). The 360 radiator grill is from Mnpctech.com with D5 pump and Alphacool top, the CPU is 3570, 3.4 GHz, with Swiftech's new Apogee XL waterblock. This is a great waterblock for $69.99. It comes with interchangeable illuminated face plate, which my good friend EEL Ambiense designed a replacement with a Giger-esque design. The cpu loop is PETG hardline tubing with EK 190 & DDC res / pump combo with Hardware Labs Black Ice 120 GTX radiator. Both loops are running distilled water. The system utilizes 32GB of their ADATA's new XPG V2 DDR3, and their Premirer Pro SP920 256GB SSD. The power supply is Corsair 750W. I'll be using this PC in the shop for video editing primarily.

hr_giger_tribute_computer_lo_res_9a.jpg

hr_giger_tribute_computer_lo_res_1.jpg

hr_giger_tribute_computer_lo_res_2.jpg

hr_giger_tribute_computer_lo_res_3.jpg

hr_giger_tribute_computer_lo_res_4.jpg

hr_giger_tribute_computer_lo_res_5.jpg

hr_giger_tribute_computer_lo_res_6.jpg

hr_giger_tribute_computer_lo_res_7.jpg

hr_giger_tribute_computer_lo_res_8.jpg

damn this thing looks so good, wish i had the time/skill to mod a system to this degree

Thanks for the kind words guys!

I'm brainstorming my next case mod, it will be the deepcool steamcastle case mod....

Tempting to do another Giger theme, but been long time since I;ve done a steampunk case

Any suggestions ....Hmmmmmm??

deepcool-steam-castle-case.jpg

Amazing looking build, where did you get the skulls from and the rest of the stuff to build the fan covers?

The 90 degree orientation really works well with the Cooler Master HAF 912, especially for fitting the 360GTX radiator beneath the motherboard. Some more photos of the finished build

hr_giger_tribute_computer_hi_res_9e.jpg

hr_giger_tribute_computer_hi_res_9f.jpg

hr_giger_tribute_computer_hi_res_9j.jpg

hr_giger_tribute_computer_hi_res_9g.jpg

I gave the PETG tubing a weathered and aged look by airbrushing it with Matte Black paint. Doing this created an eerie reflective glow on the tubing from the illuminated Green Apogee XL waterblock cover.

hr_giger_tribute_computer_swiftech.jpg

Back