Cooler Master Cosmos II

Sorry about the crappy quality. Lighting in this room + the all black case makes it hard to get a decent pic with a phone.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This thing is a beast, and is a pleasure to work in. My last two cases were huge, the CM Stacker (original version), then the HAF (original version) and this makes them both look small. Allot of thought went into even the little nuances on this thing.

Well, i know he's probably still somewhat watching... but it was SO nice of WorldExclusive to actually look at the thread he linked ever so slightly more, and link to the video of the person's issue with the front door that i already mentioned in my post right before his. Still blowing the whole thing out of proportion, considering the fact that i'm almost positive the Cosmos II isn't the only case ever released to the public with a problem unit here and there, but seeing as it's the current topic at hand, why not take a failed stab at it.

Bad Connection..... yes... the Cosmos II might not be THE BEST for water cooling setups.... but seriously.... how much do you ACTUALLY need when it comes to water cooling? You can slap the thickest 240mm radiator you want in the bottom of the Cosmos II.... a thick 140mm on the back, and even say another thick 240 on the top under the top panel with two nice fans underneath... won't take much with natural convection helping as well. Why do I, and so many others actually like the Cosmos II? Because it supports just about everything that the cases you mentioned do, it looks fantastic, and the people designing it had more in mind than just "How many radiators can we fit in here, and how?".

I mean hell... you mentioned the Elysium. I don't think i've ever seen a case that looks beats it in the realm of seeing how fast a company can slap a case together to appeal to the Over-the-Top water cooler. It's like they just made the motherboard tray extra large to support the dual-CPU motherboards and everything, knocked a few holes in the tray to run cables through for different sized motherboards (No thought behind it.... just "Oh, here's a mobo standoff hole, let's slap a cable routing hole right here next to it"), and called it a day.

And i guess if i really wanted to be nit-picky, i'd say you could probably also manage to get another 2x 120mm radiators, or maybe even another 240mm on the side panel, although running the coolant tubes in a way that would allow easy access to everything could be a bit tricky, with having to run them up to the front of the case along the side panel to the hinge and whatnot. A review i watched also found that it would require making a custom bracket, but it would be possible to put two 240mm radiators side-by-side in the bottom of the case. Don't remember what thickness they said though.

Not to mention it supports SSI CEB and SSI EEB form factor motherboards (server type), which i know the Elysium that you mentioned does not.

Anyway.... hey... it's an awesome case... i'm happy with it, and so are many others that have it (Yes, even those select few that received a damaged one and are getting a replacement). Hell, i can also say, how many cases do you come across that have a nicely integrated fan controller with support for 10 fans plus dedicated LED power leads? I'd thought quite a few times about getting a fan controller for my Cosmos 1000 when i was using it, but just about every one on the market is either some tacky crap with a few buttons and ridiculous looking little LCD's or some junk on them, or just a few knobs that would have more than likely made closing the front of the case impossible.... and for multiple fans, there was a chance i might have needed two. With this, i have 3 more fans going in my computer than i did with my Cosmos 1000, and it's running quieter than the Cosmos, and quite possibly even cooler than with my Cosmos. Sooooo.... yep, i'd say even if you're not some extreme hardcore water cooling nut, and just love air cooling.... it's STILL an awesome case for the price.

Just built a friends machine using the cosmos 2. Very easy to work with and loved the cable management system. Didn't have any of the problems complained of by other users.

Although if it looks like these links show from July - I for one, will NOT be interested!

http://legitreviews.com/news/11085/
http://www.eteknix.com/news/new-cooler-master-cosmos-ii-pc-chassis/

How could they go from the old uber sexy case to that ^? I'm hoping those six month old links are complely off and they'll release another knockout supermodel case at the turn of the year.

Here is my Cosmos 1010 with a optional window and black sides. (VERY classy, very clean - aluminum and high grade plastics only -- nothing cheap looking about the entire design - magnetic latching and tooless -- again I've never seen a better case (obviously my subjective opinion!))

A little [H]ardforum reflecting off my case window in that last pic. :p

I had a Cosmos just like yours in the photos with the side window, it was an absolute hotbox, I got an extra fan housing like the one on the bottom of the case for the hard drive area to pull in more air, nothing worked well, and back then I had regular old fashioned HDDs heat and noise. The original Cosmos did bring us the psu in/out air flow for the bottom rear corner, and a few other innovations, I loved it since it wasnt just another black box the handles looked so cool, and the feet made it look like a sled, but man the lower fan is the only air intake and it pulls that air thru a long tunnel, my hard drives were just deep fried in that thing. Also had a Cosmos S it was lighter and much better air flow cool red power light on the front but like the original Cosmos there was so much extra space in the case that I would never use, also had the Stacker 830 now you are talking airflow that thing could really breathe with the large mesh side panels, but again too large for my needs. Now I just have a Corsair 650D with side window, it keeps my components icy cold with large 200mm fans (Cooler Master megaflow fans) and I use only SSDs inside.

The new Cosmos 2 is amazing, but only for those few people that have the need for such a large case!;)

Last edited:
Why would you spend 350 dollars to have plastic pieces? I understand it would weigh more than 50lbs but still.

OMG:eek: I just spent 350 dollars.

Order Summary

Sales Order Number: 1114315
Sales Order Date: 1/27/2012 4:42:05 AM
Shipping Method: UPS 3 DAYS

1 x ($349.99) COOLER MASTER COSMOS II RC-1200-KKN1 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case $349.99
Subtotal: $349.99
Tax: $0.00
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Total Amount: $349.99

------------------------

Is there a video tutorial or illustration for the Cosmos 2 wiring? Meaning the front LED/Fan has two little wires but I'm not sure what they connect to. The manual doesn't go into the colored wiring.

I just need to get the Panel wires connected but I'm not sure if these wires connect to the Motherboard or to some special power connector and why the front fan with blue LED has two little wires and what they connect to.

Thank you for any help

I think I need to get a separate fan controller for mine. My Cougar fans are quiet on medium but move nothing and tick. I think I need to get a 4 pin PWm controller since 2 of the fans are PWM, but I only found one controller with 4 pin PWm but it only has one port.

Anyone know of multiple 4 pin PWM fan controllers? I'd wire it together, but the single port only supports like 10watts normally, and I'd overload it.

I can probably toss my Z70B across the room and the GPU wouldn't bend on the motherboard.

Yeah in a year or two a video card in the Cosmos 2 case may sag a few degrees, but when you wake up tomorrow morning that Z70B case will still be an ugly square box. ;)

630914.jpg

vs.

Cooler-Master-Cosmos-II-PC-Case-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah in a year or two a video card in the Cosmos 2 case may sag a few degrees, but when you wake up tomorrow morning that Z70B case will still be an ugly square box. ;)

All of my cases over the last two years had the rectangular look(FT02, X1000, V1020). That's the majority of cases. I would have purchased a Silverstone RV01 two years ago if I wanted looks, but internally it came up short.
On the other hand, pictures of Lian Li cases on the internet doesn't do their cases justice, any Lian Li owner would tell you that.

I could have bought a case based on looks but that wasn't important, function over form was the goal.
Internally, the Z70B is the most flexible case for the money. $230 for a full tower HPTX all-aluminum case isn't easy to come by at that price.
As for the exterior, I can mod the case to my preference if I want a more exotic look.

I never said the Cosmos II was a ugly case, just their design choices internally made it come up short in my opinion.

Last edited:
I have a question, on the top of the case where you can remove the vent, is there room on top to put in a H100?

There's room for the rad, but from recollection you would need to disassemble the unit to be able to feed the tubing into the chasis. Probably not an advisable thing to do for a self contained water unit.

But couldn't you just put the pump in first through the fan hole ontop then bring the tubing down? It seems like it would work without disassembling anything.

All of my cases over the last two years had the rectangular look(FT02, X1000, V1020). That's the majority of cases. I would have purchased a Silverstone RV01 two years ago if I wanted looks, but internally it came up short.
On the other hand, pictures of Lian Li cases on the internet doesn't do their cases justice, any Lian Li owner would tell you that.

I could have bought a case based on looks but that wasn't important, function over form was the goal.
Internally, the Z70B is the most flexible case for the money. $230 for a full tower HPTX all-aluminum case isn't easy to come by at that price.
As for the exterior, I can mod the case to my preference if I want a more exotic look.

I never said the Cosmos II was a ugly case, just their design choices internally made it come up short in my opinion.
You are correct. I bought a Corsair 650D thinking that it would be similar to the Lian Li cases and I was wrong.I will be replacing it with a Lian Li soon enough.

But couldn't you just put the pump in first through the fan hole ontop then bring the tubing down? It seems like it would work without disassembling anything.

Unfortunately my friend has picked up his computer so I cannot look at it again, but I vaguely recall thinking about whether to put the rad in the top external compartment and then realising that the CPU block could not fit through any of the apertures without dismantling the unit.

I may be wrong, but that is my recollection.

Lol, you know Cooler Master has a winner on their hands when fanboys start coming in this thread defending their Lian Li's, etc.

The Cosmos II is probably the best case out right now, if it's not, it's close. Deal with it.

I have a question, on the top of the case where you can remove the vent, is there room on top to put in a H100?

I have an H100 in my Cosmos II. You put the radiator on the inside while the fans go on the outer part where you can remove the top piece. There's no logical reason to do it the other way around and you would have to either do some case modding or something else to route the tubing.

I bought the Cosmos II because it has 10 Expansion Slots And my HAF-X has 9 Expansion Slots my 4th gpu card didnt have a Expansion Slots to blow out the hot air It got so hot the power supply would shut down so I had to move my power supply out the case.

P1020390.jpg

i was just checking out this forum and came across the pic of the damaged cosmos 2,small world,it's a pic of my damaged case i posted on another forum last week.just received my replacement case a few minutes ago.I'm happy to say my replacement arrived in perfect condition.

I think it is the same size as the Corsair H80. If so then it may fit with the pull fan mounted on the outside top of the case. I may be wrong however...

I'm an FT02 owner with Tri-Fire 6990/6970...I'm considering switching to the Cosmos II so I'll have more room for the GPU's and can fit more HDD's. The thing I am concerned about most is GPU temps, do you think they will be better on the Cosmos II?

I may add a Accelero cooler to my 6990 which would make both my video cards exhausting heat directly into the case, if that helps in deciding.

I definitely need to put all Gentle Typhoon 1850's in here, I added a couple of them after finishing the build and they move so much air but are quieter than everything else.

img1402lu.jpg

This is a Trifire 6970/6990 setup, can't wait to see what it will be like with a couple of Typhoons blowing on the GPUS.

I do with a trifire setup and am going custom loop water in the next couple of weeks. I'll share the results when finished.

cool thanks, i might get this case. Can two quad rads at the bottom and one triple rad at the top fit inside this case?

Nope one tripple at the top, double or two doubles at the bottom and a single at the back

Recently bought a Cosmos 2 for a LGA 2011 build. Case arrived in perfect condition, so no complaints there. However one thing surprised me, that despite the seemingly strong and sturdy construction of the steel "inner case", the roof panel with the fan cut-outs seems rather flimsy.

This is especially noticeable around the middle fan cut-out, where only light pressure is needed to depress the metal which then "springs back" again. The roof near the handle mounts seems totally solid though. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this, as it seems odd that a case roof which is supposedly designed to support 240+ radiators should flex in this way? My HAF X had a far more rigid roof panel I seem to remember, and my FT02 was simply 'rock-solid" in this regard

Really hope that this is not a manufacturing error on my particular case, as boxing this thing up again wouldn't be much fun! Feedback would be very much appreciated, as after watched many video reviews of this case, and read the forum posts I've never come across a mention of this issue before.

Last edited:
This is posted in my water cooling thread too. but because I have a cosmos 2 here is a trifire GPU water loop using 2 RADs.

Back