Cooler Master Cosmos II

I did a little custom tie wrap mode in the middle to improve airflow a bit with a 120mm fan. :)

cVlNl.jpg

5SBpx.jpg

50dQj.jpg

.... doesn't really look like THAT much money. haha.

BostonHXC said:
Mine just arrived, all I can say is that the build quality is nothing short of top notch. This thing is absolutely amazing, I cannot wait to move the system over to this case. By the way this makes the original HAF case look small!

I know, right? Like i said, if it can dwarf the original Cosmos 1000.... i don't think there are many cases it's NOT bigger than, unless you start getting into the large cubes that can basically fit two whole systems in them.

SylarPowers said:
It is nice to see cooler master still support 120mm fans as well as 140mm, I would love to see anyone do better 140mm fans tho, something as good as my gentle typhoons say.

Well... they basically use what they have. I mean yea, it WOULD be nice to see some exclusive fans, especially in a $350 case... but the build quality in this case (and i have to say especially in comparison to the original Cosmos.... nice case, but they really dropped the ball on the side panel latch system if you ask me) more than makes up for the not-so top notch fans. I plan to swap the rest out at some point anyway, just not right now.

And i have to say.... i walked in here just now... and i honestly could hardly tell my computer was even running. It's just f*cking amazing with that fan controller. My Cosmos, with three less fans, only had the fans controlled by the motherboard fan settings, and it was nowhere near silent. This thing, could have it in a baby's room. Granted it's a different story with all the fans on high than it is with them on low.. but even on high, the noise is reasonable. Yes, it's loud, but it's kinda like a white noise. It's there, but not really all that annoying.

I don't mean fans that come with the case, I mean anywhere! Are there any 140mm fans on the market as good as my 120mm GTs?

I've never used Gentle Typhoon's... but i'm quite fond of my Noctua NF-P12 120mm fans.... and i'm tempted to get two 140mm Noctua's for the top of my case.... and maybe one for the back to replace that stock fan, too. Only thing that sucks is all that tan and brown really would throw off the blue & black theme the rest of the rig currently has.

I've never used Gentle Typhoon's... but i'm quite fond of my Noctua NF-P12 120mm fans.... and i'm tempted to get two 140mm Noctua's for the top of my case.... and maybe one for the back to replace that stock fan, too. Only thing that sucks is all that tan and brown really would throw off the blue & black theme the rest of the rig currently has.

Paint the noctuas black and blue, They are easy to take apart :)

Yeah, Alot lighter

My Z70B is less than 15lbs. because of the aluminum construction, but the panels on the Cosmos II is much thicker.
The Cosmos II would still be quite heavy in aluminum because of all the custom panels etc.

The Cosmos S was mostly aluminum but still heavy. Maybe we will see another Cosmos S this time around also that's close to all aluminum.

Last edited:
I really had considered this case, But damn the weight :)

Still looks kick ass though and very tempting. MUST.HOLD.OUT.For.NZXT.SWITCH 810 :)

I actually saw the Coolermaster Cosmos II at the HardOCP/AMD event this weekend. It looks better in person and it seems to address all the flaws the original case had.

My Z70B is less than 15lbs. because of the aluminum construction, but the panels on the Cosmos II is much thicker.
The Cosmos II would still be quite heavy in aluminum because of all the custom panels etc.

The Cosmos S was mostly aluminum but still heavy. Maybe we will see another Cosmos S this time around also that's close to all aluminum.

It seems from the various forum posts from new owners of this case that the plastic trim/bezel/skirt of the case seems quite vulnerable to damage in transit. Whether or not this is a design/materials glitch or heavy-handed courier handling is hard to say. Other reviews say the build quality is fantastic - perhaps insufficient packaging is to blame?

Perhaps the best policy is to wait a month or two until the production bugs are ironed out or revisions made and then go ahead with the purchase. I find the case very appealing however and I'm sorely tempted to place a pre-order (this case is not yet available in the Czech Republic).

Certainly like we had the Cosmos 1000 and then the more refined and revised Cosmos S, it seems logical that there might be a Cosmos S 2. However, all aluminium construction would no doubt increase the price to TJ11 levels and beyond.

You're a big fan of the Raven series eh?

I'm a fan of the FT02 also, just need something different after 18 months of use.

Yeah, seems as though the tops of the fuckers were breaking in shipping though, mine was a year old when I opened it. Top smashed to shit, but looked fine sitting on it. Talked to Silverstone about it and they explained the issue had been addressed.

The weight of the Cosmos II is all down to the fact that it uses steel for the majority of the case rather than aluminum, and i wouldn't have it any other way. yes, aluminum is lighter, but it's also SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive, and the only aluminum case i ever had was quite easy to strip the screw holes on the expansion slots with very little effort. And the compartmentalized sections of the Cosmos 2 aren't really that large. Yes, it seems like they made everything too big if you're looking at the regular ATX motherboards we all are using in it, but remember, this also supports dual-CPU motherboards with what is it... 9-10 expansion slots? So you throw that in there, the motherboard would be to the bottom of the main section, and little room between it and the PSU.

And i find it odd to complain about not being able to use a thick push-pull radiator up top, when it has the option to mount 2 more radiators without any modifications at all to the case.

As for a GPU brace... i don't really see the need, personally. Hell, i had an 8800GTX in my setup for quite some time with quite a large heatsink and a 120mm fan strapped to it, and had no issues. Also used a GTX 295 (original dual-PCB version) with no issues.

The weight of the Cosmos II is all down to the fact that it uses steel for the majority of the case rather than aluminum, and i wouldn't have it any other way. yes, aluminum is lighter, but it's also SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive, and the only aluminum case i ever had was quite easy to strip the screw holes on the expansion slots with very little effort. And the compartmentalized sections of the Cosmos 2 aren't really that large. Yes, it seems like they made everything too big if you're looking at the regular ATX motherboards we all are using in it, but remember, this also supports dual-CPU motherboards with what is it... 9-10 expansion slots? So you throw that in there, the motherboard would be to the bottom of the main section, and little room between it and the PSU.

And i find it odd to complain about not being able to use a thick push-pull radiator up top, when it has the option to mount 2 more radiators without any modifications at all to the case.

As for a GPU brace... i don't really see the need, personally. Hell, i had an 8800GTX in my setup for quite some time with quite a large heatsink and a 120mm fan strapped to it, and had no issues. Also used a GTX 295 (original dual-PCB version) with no issues.

My Z70B does everything you and I stated in all aluminum for $300 shipped @ Newegg, $240 during a the Lian Li sale.
Yes, they over looked a few things, in some parts they choose over function. I'm grading it as an Ultra Tower, not a standard ATX case.

Here's the member Cosmos II on the previous page and mine:

Lego GPU Brace

FsPcM.jpg

My Lian Li Z70B standard aluminum GPU Brace

am6bI.jpg

When spending $200 or more, my standards are a bit higher than most. I wish not to compromise.

Last edited:
Well.... if that's the case, then i wouldn't be using tool-free expansion slot brackets, either. Just seems like one more way to potentially add unnecessary droop. Screws are more secure, if you ask me. Like i said... i just don't see the point to that sort of brace. And i actually like the Lego stack he's using. It's less in the way of everything. Probably also why i never used the "GPU Duct" in my old Cosmos 1000, either.

Well.... if that's the case, then i wouldn't be using tool-free expansion slot brackets, either. Just seems like one more way to potentially add unnecessary droop. Screws are more secure, if you ask me. Like i said... i just don't see the point to that sort of brace. And i actually like the Lego stack he's using. It's less in the way of everything. Probably also why i never used the "GPU Duct" in my old Cosmos 1000, either.

Just...wow.

I think you need to do more research on the Lian Li Tool-less PCI bracket. The brace is an aluminum vice grip for video cards, not those flimsy plastic clips on older cases.
The force is so great that if you don't make sure the video card bracket is set into the motherboard tray, you will bend the bracket and may damage the tray. I bent two of my video card brackets thinking they were set properly.
With the PCI bracket and video holder in place, the card has "zero" movement, flex or droop. It's perfectly aligned with minimal stress on the motherboard.

Last edited:
My Z70B does everything you and I stated in all aluminum for $300 shipped @ Newegg, $240 during a the Lian Li sale.
Yes, they over looked a few things, in some parts they choose over function. I'm grading it as an Ultra Tower, not a standard ATX case.

Here's the member Cosmos II on the previous page and mine:

Lego GPU Brace

FsPcM.jpg

My Lian Li Z70B standard aluminum GPU Brace

am6bI.jpg

When spending $200 or more, my standards are a bit higher than most. I wish not to compromise.

There is also this:
15b.jpg

There is also this:

That's pretty good, but could be cumbersome for multiple GPU setups.

Here's a bracket on the cheaper HAF X

MLkFY.jpg

But users get this for $150 more:

Saggy video cards

XnOXI.jpg

After spending $350, I would want my components to be straight and tight.
I can probably toss my Z70B across the room and the GPU wouldn't bend on the motherboard.

Last edited:
Where are the water cooled C2's at?!

This case is dying for like four 7970's with blocks so poor people like me can adore it.

@ WorldExclusive,

The black powder coat on the interior of your Z70B is a huge improvement over the stock aluminium finish - Lian LI should offer this as an option.

Still not seen a Cosmos 2 for real - retailers in the Czech Republic say they will have stock next week, but none have showroom displays - just order on-line and collect. In the meantime I'll continue to read these forum posts for feedback on this case.

The Cosmos II required far more tooling than any other case at or below it's price point.
The unique design of the case increases cost over the materials used.

You always have to make compromises in terms of manufacturers cost, customer cost, and features. Well there are probably 2 dozen other things to keep in mind. In that case I think the Cosmos II fails. I see why it might cost a lot more to make and design. I just am not sure of the value even on a escalating scale that all electronics have when it comes to features.

Its not like the Cosmos II is so feature rich and great that it fills a slot that no body else does, and is the first mass manufactured case to come with so much, or even be around the same price range.

Sure for certain use cases it does provide more then other comparative priced units but in reality I am not not sure its really going to be a great fit for the community. This isn't even a OMG its a $350 dollar case point of view. It doesn't need to be all aluminum, or all steal, but its an odd mixture of Steel, aluminum, and plastic, and there are some awkward places where plastic really shouldn't have been used, but it was. It's like it has multiple personality syndrome, and doesn't have a killer piece that brings it all together. Not at $350.

Coolermaster has always seemed to have figured out that perfect mixture of features, build materials, to create both a feature rich and cost effective case for the target audience. This time I think they missed their mark, I don't think they really knew the audience.

So yeah to me outside just plain size, what it brings to the table seems more like a $250-$275 case. And I don't know if it was you that posted that if it was all aluminum it would probably hit the TJ11 price point. That may be true but honestly I think would sell twice as many. Really the case that you should have modernized (like basing it on the internal structure of the Haf X) is the ATCS 840. Could have updated that and sold it for $350-$400, with less features, and gotten both the Cosmos market and gotten in on the ACTS/Lian Li/Silverstone market.

You always have to make compromises in terms of manufacturers cost, customer cost, and features. Well there are probably 2 dozen other things to keep in mind. In that case I think the Cosmos II fails. I see why it might cost a lot more to make and design. I just am not sure of the value even on a escalating scale that all electronics have when it comes to features.

Its not like the Cosmos II is so feature rich and great that it fills a slot that no body else does, and is the first mass manufactured case to come with so much, or even be around the same price range.

Sure for certain use cases it does provide more then other comparative priced units but in reality I am not not sure its really going to be a great fit for the community. This isn't even a OMG its a $350 dollar case point of view. It doesn't need to be all aluminum, or all steal, but its an odd mixture of Steel, aluminum, and plastic, and there are some awkward places where plastic really shouldn't have been used, but it was. It's like it has multiple personality syndrome, and doesn't have a killer piece that brings it all together. Not at $350.

Coolermaster has always seemed to have figured out that perfect mixture of features, build materials, to create both a feature rich and cost effective case for the target audience. This time I think they missed their mark, I don't think they really knew the audience.

So yeah to me outside just plain size, what it brings to the table seems more like a $250-$275 case. And I don't know if it was you that posted that if it was all aluminum it would probably hit the TJ11 price point. That may be true but honestly I think would sell twice as many. Really the case that you should have modernized (like basing it on the internal structure of the Haf X) is the ATCS 840. Could have updated that and sold it for $350-$400, with less features, and gotten both the Cosmos market and gotten in on the ACTS/Lian Li/Silverstone market.

lol I knew someone would call me out on this case, but I've been changing my tune especially after seeing multiple reports of this at OCN:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1199098/cooler-master-cosmos-2-club/120_20

c4N8c.jpg

No thick rad support, no gpu support bracket, excessive weight/height and damaged plastic parts during shipping renders this case less than desirable to me. It's a fancy shell on a basic rectangular frame.
After the NZXT Switch 810 was unveiled, for $169 that's a better case than the Cosmos II. Even my Z70B is a better option for $300 or TJ07, Caselabs, 800D etc.
The creative Silverstone RV01 with a fancy but higher quality plastic shell can be had for $175AR on Amazon.

.... so let me get this straight... you're expecting to be making some sort of point by the fact that you actually have to resort to bringing up the possibility of ever having to throw your case to validate the need for a GPU bracket? Or am i missing something there? I've never heard of someone experiencing an issue with a video card sagging a little. Hell, i've never even heard of people having issues with their GPU PCB being bent a fair bit due to overtightening an aftermarket heatsink a little too much. It's like you think computer hardware is as delicate as broiled haddock.

WorldExclusive said:
No thick rad support
Yet supports a 240mm radiator below, a 120/140mm radiator at the back, and a 360/280/200mm radiator up top? How often do you see cases that have those kinds of options STOCK, and on top of that actually provide the hardware to mount the radiators?

WorldExclusive said:
no GPU support bracket
see above...

WorldExclusive said:
Excessive weight/height
Again... this case isn't just designed for ATX motherboards. It doesn't just have 10 expansion slots for show. I don't think i've ever seen a GPU cooler that required triple slots JUST for the cooler. THAT is why it is so tall. And it's heavy because the frame is made of steel, which makes it more affordable and more durable than had it been all aluminum.

And you seriously are nitpicking if you linked a forum post and apparently didn't even read through it. Two people reported having broken plastic, and one with the front door that didn't seem to want to go down on it's own. OH MY GOD! And also if you've read the thread, you'd have also noticed that it might not have even been shipping damage, since the boxes themselves were unharmed. I don't know how it would have been damaged THERE if the box was unharmed, since it would take quite a whack to break that plastic that badly. It's not like it's paper thin plastic. It's actually quite thick from what i can tell. Thicker than i've seen on a lot of cases.

And i'm guessing you also didn't read up to the part where 5.5 hours after the initial post of a picture with breakage... that very picture that you posted.... was a reply from a Cooler Master Hardware representative, who he was then contacted by. When have you EVER heard ANYTHING from a hardware manufacturer that fast? I don't think i ever have. Hell, i sent them a message the day i got my case via e-mail about how i thought that the hot-swap bays should have SATA power plugs instead of Molex, and something else that i can't remember right now, but have yet to hear a response.... and that was last Friday.

Video cards need braces/brackets now? News to me...never had a problem without one in any previous build, including with a GTX 280 and GTX 580 ASUS Direct CU II which are both monstrously huge cards.

My case is compatible with HPTX motherboards and have 11 PCI slots at 24" tall and it's less than 20lbs.
I can install a 360 rad under the 5.25" bays and a 280 rad at the top. A case doesn't have to be massive to fit dual socket mobos and WC loops.
I have a comparable case so it not like I'm talking from lack of experience.

I'll digress and leave this thread to the people that actually like this case.

Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNa6IlZgGeA&feature=g-upl&context=G2ed923fAUAAAAAAAAAA

Last edited:

Yet supports a 240mm radiator below, a 120/140mm radiator at the back, and a 360/280/200mm radiator up top? How often do you see cases that have those kinds of options STOCK, and on top of that actually provide the hardware to mount the radiators?

For the price, it better support thick radiators in push pull....something it does NOT do at the top. Its 27" tall for Christ sake, where did all the space go?
Remember, this is a high end case for high end builds...the type of people using this case are the type of people that want to use thick radiators with fans on both sides. CM really missed the mark by not providing an option for this at the top, especially when so many other, cheaper cases, do.
As for cases that support 2 radiators internally, there are quite a few.

This is just from memory...
Xigmatek Elysium (360/420 + 360 + 120 + 120)
Enermax Fulmo GT (360/420 + 240/280 + 120 + 120)
Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra (same as fulmo)
AzzA 4000 (360 + 480 + 120 + 120)
Xilence Interceptor Pro (same as AzzA)
Corsair 800D ( 360 + 140 + 120)
Silverstone TJ-11 (420 + 360)
Silverstone TJ-07 (420 + 240)
Cooler Master Haf X (360 + 120)
Just about any Lian Li full tower...

And the list goes on and on. Holding radiators inside is nothing revolutionary anymore. The Cosmos II has just a bit too much plastic cladding and not enough actual volume to really fit the bill as a high end ultra tower. As I said before, the people looking to drop $350 are not the type of people who expect to compromise on a cooling setup. The Cosmos II is a nice case, but I think it just misses the mark at $350, especially when you look at the competition in the $200 range.

As for cases that support 2 radiators internally, there are quite a few.

This is just from memory...
Xigmatek Elysium (360/420 + 360 + 120 + 120)
Enermax Fulmo GT (360/420 + 240/280 + 120 + 120)
Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra (same as fulmo)
AzzA 4000 (360 + 480 + 120 + 120)
Xilence Interceptor Pro (same as AzzA)
Corsair 800D ( 360 + 140 + 120)
Silverstone TJ-11 (420 + 360)
Silverstone TJ-07 (420 + 240)
Cooler Master Haf X (360 + 120)
Just about any Lian Li full tower...

And the list goes on and on. Holding radiators inside is nothing revolutionary anymore. The Cosmos II has just a bit too much plastic cladding and not enough actual volume to really fit the bill as a high end ultra tower. As I said before, the people looking to drop $350 are not the type of people who expect to compromise on a cooling setup. The Cosmos II is a nice case, but I think it just misses the mark at $350, especially when you look at the competition in the $200 range.

Dont forget the caselab cases, They support many 360s at top. I know the one I have now does. 2 360s on top, 2 on bottom, 1 on front, 2 on bottom pedestal.

Back