Cooler Master Cosmos II

I'll be happy if that's what the new one looks like,
zhugd.jpg

zhuht.jpg

zhujh.jpg

My pre-order shipped from newegg today! Ill post pics when I get it. Hopefully Friday, if not then Monday.

The Cosmos 2 is a really nice looking case, but there is ABSOLUTELY nothing that screams its worth $350 IMO. For that price, it should come with a 27" monitor or something....

Ill totally grant you that it is expensive, however. If it is built as good as they say it is. Then the $100 premium over the Corsair 800D is well worth it, also factor in that the VGA/CPU cooling is probably much better than the 800D (if on air anyway) with the added fans.

This is exciting, Cooler Master rearranged it's website to add a new category under cases, the Ultratower. Before they had the Cosmos 2 listed with the full towers. Man whomever gets one please post photos and even an unboxing would be cool for YouTube. Wanting to know everything about this new chassis!;)

This is exciting, Cooler Master rearranged it's website to add a new category under cases, the Ultratower. Before they had the Cosmos 2 listed with the full towers. Man whomever gets one please post photos and even an unboxing would be cool for YouTube. Wanting to know everything about this new chassis!;)

If it comes in today I will. If not then Ill need to do it next week.

Got mine yesterday. Pretty good case. Was a little disappointed with one thing though. The cell phone looking keypad thing wasn't put in right on mine. The back part was popped up and I couldn't push it down at the angle I could get to it. I literally had to take apart the whole top structure of the case just to remove the sliding cover so I could fix it. It took me hours since I've never really gutted a case before and of course there weren’t any detailed teardowns online since it’s so new. Other than that it's pretty nice. (if anyone else has that issue I can shoot you a quick guide to what I did)

I wish they made a smaller version of the case though. It doesn’t need to be so large just to support one motherboard (EVGA SR-2) which probably less than .1% of the population even uses. If you have any other type of motherboard, it looks kind of dwarfed in there and doesn’t look as good since there’s so much extra space.

I was actually able to manage putting my 2 SSD's in the "hot swap" bays at the top. It's not exactly designed for 2.5" drives and even the 3.5" adapters don't fit with the hard drive attached to it but I managed to get them in there and kind of free-hang with a bit of bottom support. They aren't 100% secure but my case won't ever be moving anyway so it's not a big deal. Also, there's no fans directly hitting it but from my experience, SSD's don't need a fan on them for proper operation. I've had SSD's crushed into tiny laptop SSD slots with absolutely 0 thermal control for years and never had any issues.

I completely removed the hard drive bays in front of the front intake fan (to improve airflow) and the whole bottom cage which is now just a big empty useless space. I ended up using the 2 fans for the bottom HDD space on the side panel slots to improve GPU cooling. Still waiting on the rest of my parts. Newegg messed up my order :/ This is my updated build:

Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower
Intel Core i7-2700k Processor
Corsair H100 Closed-Loop CPU Liquid Cooling
ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
2xSLI MSI 3GB GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme
Corsair Dominator GT 8GB 2133 Mhz CL9
2xRaid-0 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS
Corsair AX1200 Power Supply
Killer 2100 Network Interface Card
Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro
27" Apple LED Cinema Display IPS 2560x1440
Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 500 Watt Speakers

Last edited:
Got mine yesterday. Pretty good case. Was a little disappointed with one thing though. The cell phone looking keypad thing wasn't put in right on mine. The back part was popped up and I couldn't push it down at the angle I could get to it. I literally had to take apart the whole top structure of the case just to remove the sliding cover so I could fix it. It took me hours since I've never really gutted a case before and of course there weren’t any detailed teardowns online since it’s so new. Other than that it's pretty nice. (if anyone else has that issue I can shoot you a quick guide to what I did)

I wish they made a smaller version of the case though. It doesn’t need to be so large just to support one motherboard (EVGA SR-2) which probably less than .1% of the population even uses. If you have any other type of motherboard, it looks kind of dwarfed in there and doesn’t look as good since there’s so much extra space.

I was actually able to manage putting my 2 SSD's in the "hot swap" bays at the top. It's not exactly designed for 2.5" drives and even the 3.5" adapters don't fit with the hard drive attached to it but I managed to get them in there and kind of free-hang with a bit of bottom support. They aren't 100% secure but my case won't ever be moving anyway so it's not a big deal. Also, there's no fans directly hitting it but from my experience, SSD's don't need a fan on them for proper operation. I've had SSD's crushed into tiny laptop SSD slots with absolutely 0 thermal control for years and never had any issues.

I completely removed the hard drive bays in front of the front intake fan (to improve airflow) and the whole bottom cage which is now just a big empty useless space. I ended up using the 2 fans for the bottom HDD space on the side panel slots to improve GPU cooling. Still waiting on the rest of my parts. Newegg messed up my order :/ This is my updated build:

ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3

Thanks for all the info! Ill hit you up if I run into the issue with the control panel. Good luck on the rest of your build!

Looks good, but I cant help thinking that this thing should have a lower price. 199.99 maybe...For $370.00 shipped, every inch of that thing better be brushed aluminum.

Last edited:
For a case this size you should be able to instantly install as many rads as one could dream of off, let alone that it should be 100% aluminum.

Nop, I don't like one bit, the original Cosmos had less "blink" and was a tad more well thought whilst remaining in a decent price-tag.

Looks good, but I cant help thinking that this thing should have a lower price. 199.99 maybe...For $370.00 shipped, every inch of that thing better be brushed aluminum.

I would say a little higher, just because I think the HAF X is perfectly priced at 199.99. So this being bigger with more options and "style" I would say $250 would be about right. But your right, I don't think it should be priced as high as a 800D. Considering how much plastic they used.

I would say a little higher, just because I think the HAF X is perfectly priced at 199.99. So this being bigger with more options and "style" I would say $250 would be about right. But your right, I don't think it should be priced as high as a 800D. Considering how much plastic they used.

The Cosmos II required far more tooling than any other case at or below it's price point.
The unique design of the case increases cost over the materials used.

For a case this size you should be able to instantly install as many rads as one could dream of off, let alone that it should be 100% aluminum.

Nop, I don't like one bit, the original Cosmos had less "blink" and was a tad more well thought whilst remaining in a decent price-tag.

If the Cosmos was 100% aluminum, it would be $599 or more. For the reason I stated above, this case requires far more tooling than any Silverstone or Lian Li case.
To make it possible, a blend of materials had to be used to keep the price reasonable. Do some of you think Lian Li or Silverstone would price a 100% aluminum case of this type for $350? Absolutely not.

For a 100% aluminum case, you will most likely get a rectangle shape of some kind with four corners.

With all of that said, I like the interior layout of my current case more than the Cosmos II.

Last edited:
Here as a pic with my system installed:

gxTLP.jpg

I added a Lego block to keep my card straight because it was bending.

I added a Lego block to keep my card straight because it was bending.

Lol you should post that in the "post your ghetto mod" thread in the "case mod gallery" sub-forum above it would fit in there nicely. Good thinking though :D

I almost ditched my Lian Li PC-X2000F for the Cosmos 2, but Cosmos 2 is just too EF-ing big! Give me an High End Cooler Master Mid Tower next please... My X2000F may be big, but it's only big vertically - makes a massive difference when you carry it or place it somewhere.

Lol you should post that in the "post your ghetto mod" thread in the "case mod gallery" sub-forum above it would fit in there nicely. Good thinking though :D

I used a home made zip tip rope in my recent build! It's like my graphics card is spider man or something, but it works!

Purchased mine today, sitting in a box in wait for all my new parts. In the box its very heavy, but cannot remember whether it is any heavier than my stacker 830 when it was all boxed up.

Wow didn't realize this case was out.

I will definitely have to keep my eyes out for a sale. If Storage Spaces in Win 8 works as described, it seems like it could be a great case for a central file server.

Wow I really like that case but it is so expensive that I prolly won't

I'll dream though :D

Wow I really like that case but it is so expensive that I prolly won't

I'll dream though :D

Agreed, its a damn nice looking case...but for $350, I think I'd rather add a damn nice SSD or another video card....

antho0789

VERY sharp looking install job on Page 7! Congrats and good job!

Actually registered just to post in this thread (and hopefully pics will be allowed, too). I have to say i absolutely LOVE this case. The fan control is nicely designed and integrated into the button layout on top of the case. Love having the ability to slide that top panel forward to cover the LED's and such, cause they can get annoying when trying to sleep. My biggest issue so far has been the rats nest of LED power leads they have. If you ask me, they probably should have had another panel up under the lip of the edge of the case where you could plug in the fan/LED wires that you needed and were using, instead of having them all there from the get-go. I'm actually looking to see if i can find some sort of tiny little plugs that are easy to connect to the wires, so i can detach them and only have some connector ends up near the top, out of the way of where the majority of the wires that are run in the case really need to go.... plugging in the LED leads when needed (though they probably never will be).

Anyway.... i went from the original Cosmos 1000 to this, and I have to say it's quite the nice upgrade. The side doors can be a bit tricky sometimes to get back on the hinges if you take them off (though i'm slowly getting better at it), but they close nicely, and it just looks freakin amazing. BEAST though even compared to the Cosmos, which already was a beast of a case.

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

edit: And yea... i really gotta ditch those red SATA cables i have for my optical drives... although they do help differentiate between the ODD cables, HDD cables, and even the hot-swap bay cables are slightly different.

OH, and the one other thing i was kinda miffed about when i first tried the hot-swap bays, and a word of warning to anyone who already has this case or who is thinking of getting it, DO NOT try to put a hard drive into the hot swap bays if it doesn't have a rectangular top to it. I tried putting one of my older 250GB Samsung drive in it, which has a lid that's more contoured to the platters and the other internal hardware.... so it has rounded corners and half-round sections taken out from halfway down the length of the drive. The reason i'm warning you about this is because inside the hot swap bays, just past the opening to the bay, and near the back, there are a pair of bent sprint-steel guides (one on each side) to help keep the hard drive down towards the bottom of the bay and line it up nicely with the data/power connections. After putting that hard drive in, i couldn't take it out, and had to completely remove the hot swap bays, which meant opening up both sides of the case, removing the 4 screws holding it in place from both sides, and upon removing the bays, had to also remove those springs from the front section of the bay to remove the hard drive. Works fine now that i don't have those in, but just figured i'd warn anyone who might not have tried them yet.

Last edited:
Can you comment on the thermal and noise performance. I got this as it ended up being reviewed as quieter and cooler some how than the HAF X and the Xigmatek Elysium which i was thinking of moving too.

I have a very much aircooled rig right now and when my Cosmos 2 arrives I'm very interested in how it compares acoustically. I was looking to get a bunch of good Noctua NF-P12's for the front, top, sides and HD bays. At the same time I was thinking of maybe modding the roof to let triple 140's work in the future.

Also, Newegg has it for 349 with free shipping which is why I just now ordered it. I'm super excited. I''ll either be doing a livestream build or timelapse it like I normally do.

ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3

Your system is very similar to mine in the cooling properties I'd bet, please post the noise and temperatures of your 580's. Mine idle at 41, 35, and then load at 70c, and 68c.

Last edited:
Well, about the tri-140mm idea... i don't think it would work. Even with three 120's, the third fan is almost halfway under the top panel with the buttons and such.... and cutting away at the top to fit a 140mm could make that top panel a little unstable, seeing as it's only held on by two screws right around where the third 120mm fan is.

As for the noise, i'm not really sure i can say seeing as i'm not sure what you're up against, and i haven't used either the HAF X nor the Elysium (though i think that case looks like sh*t, if i'm thinking of the right case). My old Cosmos 1000 had two Aerocool Streamliner 140mm fans up top, a 120mm Noctua NF-P12 in the rear, and another on the bottom. Now the Cosmos 2 has those same two Noctua's up top plus the stock CM 120mm fan, the stock 140mm in the rear, the stock 200mm up front, and the two 120's cooling the hard drives down below... and i'm almost certain it's quieter than the 1000 was.

Thermal wise.... i don't think there's any question that it's quite phenomenal. Hell, my Core i5 2500K with that Prolimatech Armageddon cooler and two 140mm fans is idling at 18C right now. Could also help that i decided to only have hard drives in the lower compartment being cooled by the two 120's, so that the 200mm up front is free to do it's thing (Which i'm half tempted to remove that middle rack of hard drive bays, since i don't really need them right now.. but i'm afraid that will reveal some wires, too)

I actually kinda got the mess of wires sorted out for those fan LED's. Wound up just using a velcro tie to bundle all the unused ones together, and used one of the provided stick-on cable bundles to stick them to the side of the 5.25" drive bays. Also rerouted the fan cables for the top fans so they are mostly hidden up in the lip at the top of the side panel, as well as doing the same for my CPU fans (hooked those up to the GPU fan wires for the fan controller... don't imagine i'll need ANOTHER two 120mm fans on the side panel any time soon... though you never know). I just think the biggest pain in the arse is the cables for the hot swap bays. From what i can tell they're not removable, and i don't think any old SATA power/data combo cable can be stuck in there. The issue is that, at least the data cables, are FREAKIN LONG! I mean what the hell, even if someone was crazy enough to say "You know what, this case deserves a M-ATX motherboard", they'd probably still find the data cables to be a bit too long. I mean... there isn't a whole lot of variation as to where SATA ports are on a motherboard. They might not always be at 90 degrees from the motherboard itself, but they're almost always in the bottom right corner. I'd swear the things could damn near reach the back of the case, and that's even after running them through one of the lower wire grommets. The power connections for those hot swap bays aren't that much better. Not nearly as long... but why in gods name are they Molex connectors?

A quick question to new Cosmos 2 owners. The two hot swap 3.5" bays, do these support SATAIII or are they just SATAII? This information doesn't appear to be stated on the Cosmos 2 micro-site, or in the user manual (downloadable version).

Thanks for any info on this subject, I'm seriously considering this case for my next build.

Thanks elemental, I ordered 4x120's and 3x140's from cougar vortex, I read some great things about their acoustic performance so I'm excited to try them out. I got them to put two 140's in the top, a 140 in the back, two 120's in the side panel, and two 120s for the harddrives. The only stock fan will be the 200mm in the front.

A quick question to new Cosmos 2 owners. The two hot swap 3.5" bays, do these support SATAIII or are they just SATAII? This information doesn't appear to be stated on the Cosmos 2 micro-site, or in the user manual (downloadable version).

I'll let you know in a few days if no one answers. I got my 2 SATA III SSD's in the hot-swap bays but awaiting a few more parts already being shipped to boot up and know. I think it should work though. I think it's already been proven that SATA III and SATA II cables are exactly the same (if I remember correctly)

Yea, I don't think there's any physical difference between SATA 2 and 3's connections, but I'll look into it when I get home.

Mine just arrived, all I can say is that the build quality is nothing short of top notch. This thing is absolutely amazing, I cannot wait to move the system over to this case. By the way this makes the original HAF case look small!

It is nice to see cooler master still support 120mm fans as well as 140mm, I would love to see anyone do better 140mm fans tho, something as good as my gentle typhoons say.

Back