Cooler Master Cosmos II

I think I'll probably go for it in the next few weeks if I see some good aircooling reviews on it. As seen in my signature I'm very much on air right now, though I plan on moving to water for the CPU and then move to water for future video cards.

It's expensive, but looks so well designed.

Not fond of the front bay cover, but that is easily taken care of. I am fond of all the radiator room in the case. I couldn't possibly case less how it cools with air so even if it's like the old Cosmos I still like it. $350+ is a tad steep though.

Prices don't scale like that with computer parts. It will probably be $300-$350.

A rep on another forum I visit said it's $350 in Canada and US.

Edit: Sorry for double post, I can't delete or I would.

The case is made of brushed aluminum side panel exterior and steel panels/frame. How is this different from the original Cosmos?
Also, it's funny how people criticize things when the price isn't ideal for them. It becomes ugly and overrated.

To me this case freaking fantastic. The original mock up was plastic, but they delivered on the final design.
I seriously have to consider getting one.

Don't buy this case day 1, CM cases go on sale all the time. There will be a rebate or 20% off sale in a few months on Newegg, that will put it around $280.
Amazon is also known to have cheap prices on initial batches of cases for pre-order.

TimeToLiveCustoms Review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkQ5Y6RlAwU&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
The case does look rather spectacular in those review videos, but I would've preferred a door over the exposed mesh and trick sliding panel. I also wish the hid the I/O connections and did away with the gills on the side. The case would then be absolutely perfect. That's not to say Cooler Master didn't do an outstanding job with this case. The sheer size and high level of detail that's gone into it is astounding.

For those bickering about the price, what else did you expect? CM is advertising this as their flagship case and a premium/luxury chassis. Got to pay to play!

The case does look rather spectacular in those review videos, but I would've preferred a door over the exposed mesh and trick sliding panel. I also wish the hid the I/O connections and did away with the gills on the side. The case would then be absolutely perfect. That's not to say Cooler Master didn't do an outstanding job with this case. The sheer size and high level of detail that's gone into it is astounding.

For those bickering about the price, what else did you expect? CM is advertising this as their flagship case and a premium/luxury chassis. Got to pay to play!

The front door really makes it a true Cosmos, but so many people took it off and modded it for better cooling. The front mesh is better this time around.
Hidden I/O panel? I agree, six exposed USB ports etc. is a bit much but it still looks well designed.
Mesh side panel? I agree also, but so many people ask for side panel with fans, it probably was better to include it from the start. I'm sure we'll see a window side panel for sale in a few months.

I have to compare the case to the TJ11. The only advantages of the TJ11 are the ability to fit quad rads, removable mobo tray and it's all aluminum.
$350 vs $599, the Cosmos II wins. The 800D is still a nice case but the standard aircooling layout sucks and can't be improved much over that.
Also the bottom HDD bay has to be modded in order to tightly fit a 240 rad, and it can't fit a XL-ATX/HTPX motherboard without modding first.
When this case hits $280 during a sale in a few months, people that are into quality cases will consider one over the 800D.

Last edited:

I agree on hiding the IO panels, but the mesh seems to have been done to fix the old Cosmos' air cooling problems. I would have rather had them leave off anything covering the drive bays as I don't really like doors, but at least they did something neat with how smooth it seems to move up and down.

Also at the same price is the CaseLabs M8

I was going to buy an M8 but the final price is much higher. CaseLab cases are almost a bare chassis that require a number of basic accessories and fans to get it functional, when most manufactures include the items for free.
My final cost was around $450+shipping compared to the $225 I spent on my current case. A price drop on the Cosmos would make it more attractive, but no doubt the Caselab case is more flexible.

I was going to buy an M8 but the final price is much higher. CaseLab cases are almost a bare chassis that require a number of basic accessories and fans to get it functional, when most manufactures include the items for free.
My final cost was around $450+shipping compared to the $225 I spent on my current case. A price drop on the Cosmos would make it more attractive, but no doubt the Caselab case is more flexible.

I'm selling my M8, pedestal and all the goodies I bought for it for 475+shipping.

A fool and his money are soon parted. But then again the entire enthusiast market is built on that notion.

Haf-X is a cheap gamer case. For the money you get a big open case with lots of features that a gamer or overclocker might like. Don't get me wrong, I like the case...but don't expect Lian Li quality from a Haf-X, that's not really what it was designed for.
My limited experience with the Cosmos line of cases paints a picture of much higher quality (and the associated higher price tag). I'm sure the Cosmos 2 will be of sufficient quality. But in all honesty, they could easily build a quality case for less then $350, and judging by the price of its #1 competitor, the Corsair 800D, I think they are at least $75 too high on the Cosmos 2.
I don't mind the HAF X... that's if there's assurance that the customer receives a FUNCTIONAL product.

The HAF X is also at least $50 dollars overpriced; it's nothing but steel and a huge amount of plastic. Good design cannot overtake actual value of the material.

For every one Lian Li case assembled, I would imagine that CM would have already made 100 of these HAF cases through their automated machines...

When it's all said and done, I will never buy anything from CM again. If I'm lucky enough to return this case for a refund I'll spend more and get myself a Lian-Li or a Silverstone instead. This hassle of not even being able to mount expansion cards onto a $200 case is not worth my time.

Last edited:
Yes that's a two rad, SR2, Quad SLI setup in the Cosmos II. No mods.

y5kUf.jpg

overpriced

Only to those that can't afford it :D.

But seriously, it is expensive, but not outrageous (i.e., Temjin 11, Windy). This is Lian-Li territory, which given it's size and features, is suited. Only thing missing is all aluminum construction. And for that, there's the Temjin 11.

Interested to see if Corsair has a response planned. Maybe at CES (?).

Sexy, just what I need for my next build!

Finally something to replace my aging but beloved Stacker 830 with.

In terms of price, $350 is steep but not that much more than what I paid for the stacker. Hope these become available soon.

Only to those that can't afford it :D.

But seriously, it is expensive, but not outrageous (i.e., Temjin 11, Windy). This is Lian-Li territory, which given it's size and features, is suited. Only thing missing is all aluminum construction. And for that, there's the Temjin 11.

Interested to see if Corsair has a response planned. Maybe at CES (?).

i rather get a lian li or silvestone for that price

i rather get a lian li or silvestone for that price

Really why? I have one of the most recent Lian Li cases right now and it's awesome, but requires quite a bit of modding to get it perfect.
Lian Li generally have bare internals on their full tower case, unless you pay $400+ for their X series and they suck for the most part.
Powdercoating alone can run you $100-200 depending upon were you go, additional hardware to black out the case and additional cost of cutting and installing a acrylic window if desired.
Lian Li's aren't as functional as CM but they are better built. CM Cosmos cases are different from the HAF/Storm series of cases.

Certain cases are made without the thought of making it affordable for everyone, and the Cosmos II is one of them.
CM is targeting the person that wants the most features for their money, along with style.
There's not many cases for $350, that has the style and flexibility of the Cosmos II.

When will it be available?

Some time this month.

that is if i can sell my M8 ;)

I'm surprised that you're selling it. It can't be the of it size or options, the Cosmos II is just as huge and the CL case is more flexible.
It's going to take me until June for me to make a decision on which case I may switch to.
Caselabs will be releasing a mATX version of the M8, possibly the M5 in Q2, and I'll wait until then to make a decision.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1184977/merlin-discussion-thread/0_20

Last edited:
I love love love the Cosmos 2 case, I had the original Cosmos which was a hotbox, and the Cosmos S which was a little better but too much shiny aluminum on the inside. The Cosmos 2 is just beyond belief, so much thought and planning have been designed into this massive case. Wish I was in the market for a new case but I am still diggin’ my Corsair 650D, a much better form factor for placing on top of your desk. Plus I need the $350 for a new Rampage 4 Extreme Mobo, have to improve the weakest components in my system first. Wonder if Corsair will come out with anything even closely matching the sheer Epic-ness of the Cosmos 2??? ;)

Cosmos 2 Microsite:

http://www.coolermaster.com/microsite/cosmos_ii/design.html

Last edited:
Very much an overview, I don't know how that guy is so popular still. He's a spec lister.

Indeed, he's not that helpful with his reviews (ever really).

Here's a better video one from hardwarecanucks:

http://www./forum/hardware-canucks-...master-cosmos-ii-ultra-tower-case-review.html

More in depth from Guru3d:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/cooler-master-cosmos-ii-review/

I'm going to pick this up for my next Ivy Bridge build. That is, unless Corsair can come up with something better.

Very much an overview, I don't know how that guy is so popular still. He's a spec lister.

It's well known that Rodney is little more than a paid shill for products. He does a good job presenting the features, but if I just want a features presentation I'll watch one of Linus' unboxings. If you want good Youtube hardware reviewers look at TimeToLiveCustoms, HardwareCanucks, and LavcoPriceTech (in that order, LPT is funny but not always the most knowledgable and TTL gets pretty in depth). There are other good ones of course.

It's well known that Rodney is little more than a paid shill for products. He does a good job presenting the features, but if I just want a features presentation I'll watch one of Linus' unboxings. If you want good Youtube hardware reviewers look at TimeToLiveCustoms, HardwareCanucks, and LavcoPriceTech (in that order, LPT is funny but not always the most knowledgable and TTL gets pretty in depth). There are other good ones of course.

TimeToLive has unseated Rodney as the go to reviewer for cases and other hardware.
His videos are extra long, but surprisingly entertaining. Must be the accent.

Linus sits on the Cosmos II. If I did that to my Z70B, it would crumple like paper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwC8yW1U-Q8&feature=related

Last edited:
Really why? I have one of the most recent Lian Li cases right now and it's awesome, but requires quite a bit of modding to get it perfect.
Lian Li generally have bare internals on their full tower case, unless you pay $400+ for their X series and they suck for the most part.
Powdercoating alone can run you $100-200 depending upon were you go, additional hardware to black out the case and additional cost of cutting and installing a acrylic window if desired.
Lian Li's aren't as functional as CM but they are better built. CM Cosmos cases are different from the HAF/Storm series of cases.

Certain cases are made without the thought of making it affordable for everyone, and the Cosmos II is one of them.
CM is targeting the person that wants the most features for their money, along with style.
There's not many cases for $350, that has the style and flexibility of the Cosmos II.

Some time this month.

why? Because Lian li cases are better built then all CM cases and are feature rich and offer the best cooling air flow.

It only needs modding if you want a window(hardly anyone does anymore) or need to paint it(be honest, if you want a different colour internal or external, there is not a single case that offers the desired colour someone wants) and finally maybe if you are water cooling(then again u can buy top panels that can house a 360 rad.)

And its funny you never mention a word about Silvestone cases.

why? Because Lian li cases are better built then all CM cases and are feature rich and offer the best cooling air flow.

It only needs modding if you want a window(hardly anyone does anymore) or need to paint it(be honest, if you want a different colour internal or external, there is not a single case that offers the desired colour someone wants) and finally maybe if you are water cooling(then again u can buy top panels that can house a 360 rad.)

And its funny you never mention a word about Silvestone cases.

Lian Li cases are form over function. Most of the enthusiast configurations are left to the builders imagination. LL cases for the most part are blank canvases for whatever the builder desires.
The amount of tooling that goes into the Cosmos II would cost an immense amount of money for Lian Li to make in all aluminum.

As for Silverstone cases, I owned a FT02-WRI since 2010 and recently sold it for my current Z70B. I purchased three FT02 cases, two RV02 cases and one TJ07. I also had two 800Ds, an ATCS 840 and a few Cosmos cases. The TJ07 and 800D has either no or poor direct air cooling for the main chamber out of the box, the FT02 can be WC internally but the rads limit the length of the cards that can be used, same with the RV02. The TJ11 is overpriced now that the Cosmos II has entered the market. A person can think the TJ11 all aluminum construction means something for an extra $250 all they want. My Z70B offers the same amount of flexibility the Cosmos II has but it took some work and cash to get it there. "Out of the Box" the Cosmos II is a better case for enthusiasts.

I regularly watch TTL and Hardware Canucks. I love Tom.

Back