Cooler Master 212 Evo vs 212 Evo V2 (using the same fans)

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
Is the Cooler Master 212 Evo V2 a significant improvement, or even an improvement at all, over the older 212 Evo?

I'm talking about the heatsink itself. Not the fans. They come with different fans, but I use my own fans, two high-CFM PWM fans in push-pull.

It's surprisingly difficult to find reviews comparing the two, and the reviews that I have been able to find compare each in it's stock form, using the stock fans (which are different). That makes it very difficult to determine if any measured difference is the result of the heatsink or the fact that each is using a different fan.

My reason for asking is because I have a 212 Evo V2 on the way for a project I'm working on. My backup computer (With a 5820k @ 4.5Ghz) is currently using a 212 Evo (first version). Even with 2 high-CFM fans in push-pull, it's barely adequate. It's not really a problem when gaming, but I can barely manage a Cinebench run, and Prime95 will typically result in a BSOD. So my thought is that I could put the 212 Evo V2 in my backup computer (replacing the older evo), and use the older 212 Evo for my project instead (smaller CPU where cooling won't really matter much either way). I'm just not sure if it would be worth the extra effort or not.

Is the Cooler Master 212 Evo V2 a significant improvement, or even an improvement at all, over the older 212 Evo?

I'm talking about the heatsink itself. Not the fans. They come with different fans, but I use my own fans, two high-CFM PWM fans in push-pull.

It's surprisingly difficult to find reviews comparing the two, and the reviews that I have been able to find compare each in it's stock form, using the stock fans (which are different). That makes it very difficult to determine if any measured difference is the result of the heatsink or the fact that each is using a different fan.

My reason for asking is because I have a 212 Evo V2 on the way for a project I'm working on. My backup computer (With a 5820k @ 4.5Ghz) is currently using a 212 Evo (first version). Even with 2 high-CFM fans in push-pull, it's barely adequate. It's not really a problem when gaming, but I can barely manage a Cinebench run, and Prime95 will typically result in a BSOD. So my thought is that I could put the 212 Evo V2 in my backup computer (replacing the older evo), and use the older 212 Evo for my project instead (smaller CPU where cooling won't really matter much either way). I'm just not sure if it would be worth the extra effort or not.
The v2 is a hell of a lot easier to mount and is asymmetrical for RAM clearance, like a NH-D15S. But sadly no real cooling difference that I've seen, except between the fans..
EDIT: Here is a good spec comparison between the two. https://seekingtech.com/cooler-master-cpu-air-coolers-hyper-212-evo-v1-vs-hyper-212-evo-v2/

I just replaced the Evo RGB BE and it's supposed to be the best version available for the 212, but I credit the new fans for that.

Both have basically the same cooling. Not sure what your system airflow setup is, but if it takes10-15 minutes for CPU temp and fan speed to peak when CPU goes from idle to full speed, then case airflow is likely culprit. With case airflow setup properly CPU will it peak temp in 2-4 ,minutes and stay at that temp until it drop back to idle .. taking same 2-4 minutes to cool down and fans to drop back to idle. Old image of i7-980 below shows what I mean.

i7 980 Prime 95 27-07-2014.JPG

So have you had a chance to give the v2 a try yet?

No, I'm not sure that I will. If it's going to give the same performance as the old evo, then I'll just leave the old evo on there.

Both have basically the same cooling. Not sure what your system airflow setup is, but if it takes10-15 minutes for CPU temp and fan speed to peak when CPU goes from idle to full speed, then case airflow is likely culprit. With case airflow setup properly CPU will it peak temp in 2-4 ,minutes and stay at that temp until it drop back to idle .. taking same 2-4 minutes to cool down and fans to drop back to idle.

My problem is much shorter-term. If I start Prime95 with AVX my CPU will go from cold idle temps to 90C+ and BSOD in about 10 seconds or less. I think this old 6-core Haswell-E, especially with it's overclock, just completely overwhelms the 212 Evo and it's 4 heatpipes when all cores are going full steam. This thing puts out more heat than my Ryzen 3900X, despite the 3900X having twice the number of cores. I could just lower the overclock, but since it isn't a problem during real-world usage, I sort of prefer to retain the extra performance.

Yeah, instant heat issues are not enough cooling, not airflow issue .. or possibly poor seating / TIM not doing it's job. But if it's been doing sense first startup on new system is cooler. I agree, as long as it keeps CPU cool with your daily tasks it's cooling fine.

Back