Cooler for P35-DS3R and E8400

LucasG

Gawd
That should be a good one, as would be a xigmatech 1283 or a TRU-120 - all popular and seem to cool well enough for very good OC's. Make sure you have a backplate for whatever you get as some don't come with them and require you get the backplate separately.

have fun!

I bought the backing plate and real screw kit just for my own peace of mind.
But looking at the push pins, i'd assume they work about as well as most (your mileage may vary of course).

B

I just picked up the Sunbeam CCF. Great HSF and huge. It also comes with Tuniq 2 paste :)

I've never had a problem with the Intel push pins, I have the Xigmatek S963 with no backplate and I stay in the mid 20s to mid 30s depending on the room temp...

Drop the 9500, over priced for the cooling you get, both the TRUE and the S1283 will cool much better. The CCTF is not a bad choice either.

i have a DS3L with a [email protected] using a thermaltake mini typhoon and it idles around 24c. i put it in my new CM Haf for a little while and it was idling at 20c.

i have a DS3L with a [email protected] using a thermaltake mini typhoon and it idles around 24c. i put it in my new CM Haf for a little while and it was idling at 20c.

Can you even get the mini typhoon anymore? Not like it matters, there are MUCH better coolers for the money. And when are people going to learn that idle temps mean absolutely nothing?

There's a couple of good choices out there. But with any of them, make sure you get the backplates and screws.. Stay away from the push-pin type boards, or the socket clip on's.

ThermalRight's Extreme series (though if you get these, prepare to get it lapped, as almost all of them have a slight curve to them)
Xigmatek...Just remember the backplate advise above.
CoolerMaster has a few good ones for this. The Z600 and V8 are nice, but the v8 would be an overkill. People putting the v8 on anything other than an overclocked and super-hot cpu are wasting money.
My friend like's his Zalman 9700, and it's pretty decent as well.
The Sunbeam CCF is decent. The use of it's clip design is actually fairly decent as it's mounted on the HS itself. The only question would be of what material the mount is made out of.

Anyway.. Those are some of my suggestions. Good luck to ya!

Back