Limp Gawd
Hi.
Looking for a cooler for this system:

Case: Cooler Master HAF-X Full tower case
http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/full-tower/haf-x.html

MB: ASUS P9X79 Pro X79

CPU: i7 3930K 3.2GHz 6 core

AIO: CoolerMaster Seidon 120mm

After checking temps I see my current cooler (2013) is not doing the job so I want to replace it with something better. I am not good at this so the easier the change, the better. I either want a better AIO (240mm or 360mm?) or capable Air cooler. The case and MB are 2013 so finding something compatible may be hard so that is why I am posting here on this knowledgeable forum.
I may upgrade the CPU to a something like an Intel Xeon E5-2687W v2 or I may OC the 3930k so the cooler needs to be able to handle that.
All RAM slots are used.
It has one GPU Nvidea GTX 780.
Stock case fans: 200mm front, 200mm side, 200mm top and 140mm(?) rear
The machine is used for video editing and 3d animation so it often renders for hours straight.

How much do you want to spend? There are boatloads of solid hsf and aio that will work(being from 2013 doesnt matter). Your case is big enough to mount pretty much anything.

Do you have two fans for your current cooler? Slap another fan on there in push/pull and see if it helps. Probably your cheapest option.

Thank you.
My main interest is on reliability (since I leave it unatended rendering for hours at a time) and also ease of installation since I'm not good at working on computers. So I'm happy to pay more for those things. $150 would be fine. More if needed.

These guys seem to say it isn't really set up for radiators when they show the upper part of case.

My current config has the 120mm Cooler Master seidon AIO installed at the back. Looks like I'm limited to maybe 120-140 at rear. Can't tell about front and top. Lots of space up top but not sure if AIO could be mounted. Air might be easiest?
Listening for ideas because I don't know.
Current config hits 91 C during heavy load so need to get that down, especially if I OC or swap to Xeon which is 150w vs my current 130w i7

Do you have two fans for your current cooler? Slap another fan on there in push/pull and see if it helps. Probably your cheapest option.
Ahhh...Good idea. It appears to have fan behind it but on the front (inside of case) I just see a radiator so answer is no. Only fan pulling air out of it out the back of case.

Ahhh...Good idea. It appears to have fan behind it but on the front (inside of case) I just see a radiator so answer is no. Only fan pulling air out of it out the back of case.
reverse that single fan so its sucking fresh air in and it should drops temps decently. add a second fan for another 2-3c reduction or upgrade to a corsair 280 would be even better.

Remember that some of those AIO solutions suffered from pump failure and fluid issues. After 6+ years an extra fan may not help all that much. It's easy to test it though so I would do that and see if you get lucky.

I pulled an AIO off of my 4930k several years ago and put a beefy Noctua cooler with dual fans on it and never looked back. The 140mm rear case fan exhausts the air right out of the case so it is fairly efficient. Temps stay decent even under heavy loads.

Remember that some of those AIO solutions suffered from pump failure and fluid issues. After 6+ years an extra fan may not help all that much. It's easy to test it though so I would do that and see if you get lucky.

I pulled an AIO off of my 4930k several years ago and put a beefy Noctua cooler with dual fans on it and never looked back. The 140mm rear case fan exhausts the air right out of the case so it is fairly efficient. Temps stay decent even under heavy loads.
Yes I think 6+ years (about 7 now) is really old for the AIO. I do have the same AIO new in box that I bought years ago as a backup. So I was thinking of swapping the old one with it since it's already paid for. I am thinking of trying it with an extra fan to see. I will get my PC where I can look inside and look it over for a better idea of what is involved. I'm also going to be watching better AIO prices.
Is this Corsair 280 you were talking about, Pendragon1?
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-liquid-cooling-system/p/N82E16835181138
It says socket LGA 2011 so it might work, if I could get it mounted somehow??

I am also not opposed to air cooling.
I intend to either OC my 3930k or replace it with a better CPU so I want whatever cooling change I make to be enough for that too.

Noctua NH U12S / NH U12A / NH D15 should fit the bill for a cooler that can cool your system now and most likely cool your next CPU.

Take note that if you're planning for a 16 core, AMD recommends an AIO minimum, though I'm guessing a D15 should do well.

If you're going Threadripper, you'll need a separate cooler since the mounting mechanism is different / CPU size is so large.

Noctua NH U12S / NH U12A / NH D15 should fit the bill for a cooler that can cool your system now and most likely cool your next CPU.

Take note that if you're planning for a 16 core, AMD recommends an AIO minimum, though I'm guessing a D15 should do well.

If you're going Threadripper, you'll need a separate cooler since the mounting mechanism is different / CPU size is so large.
Like this?
https://www.amazon.com/NOCTUA-NH-U1...s=NH+U12A&qid=1585410760&s=electronics&sr=1-3

The NHD15 looks HUGE :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, that will fit:

Includes high-end NT-H1 thermal paste and SecuFirm2 mounting system for easy installation on Intel LGA1150, LGA1151, LGA1155, LGA1156, LGA2011, LGA2066 and AMD AM4, AM3(+), AM2(+), FM1, FM2(+)

Remember that even if the U12A is smaller, it still won't outperform the D15.

Yes, that will fit:

Includes high-end NT-H1 thermal paste and SecuFirm2 mounting system for easy installation on Intel LGA1150, LGA1151, LGA1155, LGA1156, LGA2011, LGA2066 and AMD AM4, AM3(+), AM2(+), FM1, FM2(+)

Remember that even if the U12A is smaller, it still won't outperform the D15.
Thank you very much. How does the U12A or D15 perform compared to something like a Corsair 280 and are either of these sufficient for OC 3930k or Xeon?
I am concerned a D15 might not fit due to it's size...

Thank you very much. How does the U12A or D15 perform compared to something like a Corsair 280 and are either of these sufficient for OC 3930k or Xeon?
I am concerned a D15 might not fit due to it's size...
your case is a FULL tower.....that cooler would likely fit just fine in my Mid tower as well...its only 140mm vs 120mm.....it might almost touch the side of my case, but i think your good to go.
Also it will be a perfect match for your 140mm rear exhaust fan :)

Last edited:
your case is a FULL tower.....that cooler would likely fit just fine in my Mid tower as well...its only 140mm vs 120mm.....it might almost touch the side of my case, but i think your good to go.
Also it will be a perfect match for your 140mm rear exhaust fan :)
Thank you. Am I correct in thinking that a Noctua will be easier installation than trying to install an AIO in the top of a case designed in 2010 before standardized sizes? There is lots of space up there but not sure any of the holes will line up and the two 140mm fan locations won't match an AIO.
I'm now looking at Noctua NH-D15
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D15-heatpipe-NF-A15-140mm/dp/B00L7UZMAK
In the description it lists:
LGA2011-0 & LGA2011-3 (Square ILM)
Mine is LGA 2011 but how do I tell if it's compatible? What is -0 and -3?

Thank you. Am I correct in thinking that a Noctua will be easier installation than trying to install an AIO in the top of a case designed in 2010 before standardized sizes? There is lots of space up there but not sure any of the holes will line up and the two 140mm fan locations won't match an AIO.
I'm now looking at Noctua NH-D15
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D15-heatpipe-NF-A15-140mm/dp/B00L7UZMAK
In the description it lists:
LGA2011-0 & LGA2011-3 (Square ILM)
Mine is LGA 2011 but how do I tell if it's compatible? What is -0 and -3?
the -0 and -3 i think is related to the electrical generation of cpu and afaik should not be any physical differences with cpu cooler mounts....as in certain cpus like the -3 wouldn't work in the older motherboards do to newer updated architecture. (even tough they have almost same pins or exact for all i know)
I suspect you have plenty of room for pretty big aio cooler assuming you remove the existing top fan....it takes about 1 min to drill holes if need be and that would be my least concern. My case is way smaller than yours and the only thing that limits 280mm aio coolers on top of mine is the fans could likely be touching or blocked by the ram just do to how close the top of my board to the top of my case.

Those nocta air cooler would extremely well in well ventilated cases like yours, but the side fan clearing you cooler would be a small concern, but of course it can come off. To me the larger the cooler, it might not fit with the side fan on is all.

Back