Cooler advice for Fractal Design Define R5?

tzl99

n00b
HI,
(tl:dr version:
Anyone successfully mount a 280 mm AIO at the top of a Define R5 without trouble, with a X99 based MB?
Do I have to settle for a 240 mm cooler? If so what is a quiet one available in the US, powerful enough for an over-clocked X99 based 6-core?

Thanks,
Louie

LONG VERSION:
I'm going to build a new system soon (X99 based, 6 core, but haven't decided on Broadwell-E vs Haswell-E, that's another thread) but I've been picking up parts the last couple of weeks. One of which is the Define R5. But I'm stuck on cooling. I've always used air cooling, current system uses a Silver Arrow, but I've seen too many recommendations that the X99 based processors can "overwhelm" air cooler. So I've looked into several AIOs and I thought I had narrowed it down to Corsair H115i vs NZXT Kraken X61. The Define R5 manual states that 280 mm coolers, mounted on top, need to have a total thickness, including fan, of less than 55 mm. Both coolers are just under 55 mm, but after looking on-line I've read too many complaints about these 280 mm coolers not properly fitting on top with the rear fan, or bumping into the shrouds or armors of some of the newer motherboards, yet I've also read some reports that there are no problems.

So has anyone on this forum used a 280 mm AIO cooler with a Define R5 and mounted it on top?

I thought about 240 mm coolers, but I'm not sure how much cooling potential I'd be losing. The Swiftech 220 coolers seem good and quiet, but I don't think I can find them in the US. Also they have the reservoir/pump combo attached that makes them 90+ mm deep and I'm not sure what components they might block.

Finally, would a Broadwell-E/Haswell-E overwhelm a Noctua NH -D15? I like the simplicity and quiet of air coolers, and my case doesn't have a window, so I don't have to look at it. The problem is I've picked out G.skill Ripjaws V memory and they are 42 mm tall, the Noctua website recommends 32 mm memory, though I can apparently slide up the fan, but by 10 mm?

Thanks for any pointers!
Louie.

Ok,
Perhaps no one here has tried the combo of 280 mm coolers in the top spot of the Define R5. I've spent a bit of time looking at Youtube videos of both the Kraken X61 and the Corsair H115 and they both seem louder than I expected. It looks like the safe choice may be to stick with the Noctua NH-D15. I am concerned about fitting. The Fractal website says the case should hold 180 mm tall coolers. The Noctua is 165 mm, but the memory is 42 mm tall, or 10 mm higher than the 32 mm recommended on Noctua's site. If the outside fan can be moved up by 10 mm, the effective height of the cooler is 175 mm so it should fit in the case? Hopefully the Fractal rep on this forum might chime in. I'm just wondering about the accuracy of the info in light of reports of people not being able to fit 280 mm AIO coolers with a total thickness less than 55 mm, though the manual says it should fit.

I just need to decide between Broadwell-E vs Haswell-E now and try the Noctua. If it can't handle the heat, then I'll revisit water cooling and hold on to the Noctua for a future build. Thanks.
Louie.

42mm = Ripjaws V right? I just paired a D15S with the 44mm TridentZ not too long ago in a Phanteks Evolv ATX TG (195mm cooler clearance) and as I recall, the RAM heatspreaders barely crossed the lower portion of the cooler where the indented fins started. You should take a look at the D15S because it is 5mm shorter than the D15 and shaped with PCI slot clearance in mind. It comes with only one 140mm fan, so you can do the install and measure the clearance for a push fan afterwards.

edit: oops, just realized cooler height has nothing to do with your problem. I would just get the D15 (beefier than D15S) and swap to a 120mm push fan if the 140mm one doesn't fit.

Last edited:
Rastaban,
Yeah, that's a good idea about a 120 mm fan. I guess nothing is holding me to using 2 140 mm fans, if the outer 140 mm can't be used then I could replace it with the 120 mm fan. I didn't think about that!

As for my original problem of why Fractal Design says 280 mm AIO coolers should fit as long as the radiator/fan thickness is less than 55 mm, yet seeing reports on them not fitting, I think I know the reason. Today I finally opened the case and did some measurements at the top of the case. It looks like the problem is with the rear 140 mm fan. There is enough clearance on top for 2 140 mm fans side by side and the 140 mm fan on the back. However, I noticed that most radiators are more then 280 mm long (often 300+mm) so that means that part of the radiator will be just above the fan. But the space over the fan is just 25 mm or so. So while the cooler might fit, the fan/radiator won't fit, due to the length of the radiators. Now the back fan could be lowered by a bit but not enough to make room for the 55 mm height. So it looks like a large AIO requires the back fan to be removed, or changed to 120 mm (your idea) and lowered to the bottom most possible location.

I'm still not sure why they list 55 mm height limit for 280 mm radiators but no thickness limit for 240 mm radiators. There is nothing below the top. I suspect it may be the motherboard edge? Maybe it is 55 mm below and wide AIOs might abut with the motherboards or their shrouds. The 240 mm onces will be 10 mm narrowing on either side and might be ok. I won't know until I buy a motherboard and do some direct measurements.

I was originally planning on getting 280 mm AIO coolers for this build as I've never done water cooling. But now reading about problems with fit and noise, I may just go with Noctua. Thanks.

Louie.

I'll see if I can fill in the blanks a bit on this discussion.

First, 175mm CPU cooler height is pretty close to the 180mm max but still shouldn't give you any trouble.

As for the radiator, we list a 55mm thickness limit on 280mm rads in the top position because of potential conflicts with motherboard components, especially taller ram. The spacing on 240mm rads puts them far enough up from the board that this conflict shouldn't occur. I talked to the support team to see what further clarification they had to share based on customer feedback, and they suggested avoiding 280mm rads that have nonstandard 20mm spacing between the center screws (for example the h110 coolers from Corsair). One last bit of advice is that if you do find space is tight with your top rad installation, a pull configuration with fans on the bottom may be easier to mount.

Does this answer all your questions?

Thanks for the info. At this time I think I'll be going for the Noctua cooler rather than a 280 mm AIO. I did want one but I can't seem to find one that I know is definitely quiet. I bought the case without a window so I don't have to look at it once it is installed. Thanks and you did answer my questions about AIO 280 mm limitations!
Louie.

Back