Cool Video of the Day

Sneaking suspicion that this is toxic as fuck. I don't want it anywhere near me until it has undergone a bunch of testing that they're not going to do, because they're not required to.

From the way I read it thats just for the bottles, it says top and bottom coatings sold separately but I really hope I am reading that wrong.

Wow, I missed that. I saw the two bottles in the pics being the top & bottom coatings and thought that was what they were selling.

No. It's that:

1. The stuff dries translucent. So it's not something you want to put on a windshield.
  2. It's solvent based. So windshield washer fluid will ruin it.
  3. Various things like road salt will abrade it away as well.
  4. You'd probably still need the windshield wipers, and they'd abrade it away too.

That's too bad. I'd be nice if they could somehow make this part of a car's protective coating, someday, maybe.

If this works so well, how come we are not coating our cars and cell phones in this shit? Anyone have any real world experience with this? Maybe it needs to be re-applied often?

We aren't coating anything you need ot see through because it is only 90% clear. Same for cars. Unless you like the look of a car with wax applied but not buffed out, it's probably not an appropriate finish. Ok, how about the local drunk tank? Well, it's tabor cycle rating is 30. To give you an idea, a durable air cured epoxy paint is in the neighborhood of 400-500. An exceptionally tough heat cured coating is in the 4000 range. Laminated deck coatings are over 1500.

I could see it potentially being very cool for very light colored energy star rated roofing shingles and steel roof installations. It'll keep them cleaner looking longer.

Sneaking suspicion that this is toxic as fuck. I don't want it anywhere near me until it has undergone a bunch of testing that they're not going to do, because they're not required to.

Well the MSDS doesn't tell the whole story. It's based on the primary ingredients (the solvents) not the <1% of actual nanomaterial. Since the material is smaller than human cells they can potentially do a number on the organelles if it was free. However most of the time it's going to be attached to something much bigger (resin flakes or whatnot). It could be cancerous the way asbestos is (causing your body to form cysts around it) but it's too soon to know. Maybe if we start seeing three eyed fishes we'll know something's up. However, I have nanoglaze on my toilet (Toto Saniflush for 3 years) and the neverwet plunger already, and i'm pretty comfortable that's not going airborne. I'm going to try covering my driveway next, since it does get some water damage.

I saw this over two years ago, but never heard when it went to market.

I wish they'd work together with a major litter box manufacturer, to factory coat products, as it would keep the boxes extra clean if no urine or poo would stick to it, especially the rolling type boxes.

Be great on the deathstar looking Litter Robot for example!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YabO9Cve1bM (bet you came in here not expecting to watch a cat poop)

It figures someone here would be the only other person on the planet that had the same idea as me about what to do with this stuff. Would love to try it on my Litter Robot.

Thread necro inspired by this story on Ars.

Back