Cool Running Vid Card

spugnor

[H]F Junkie
Hey Guys.

I did a quick look over the threads, and i didn't see anything that looked promising, so i'm starting a new thread.

I need a cool running video card for a shuttle SFF pc. I've currently got a 9800pro in there, and it's baking my hard drive. 2 failures so far. :(

I'm looking for something that is at least playable in your typical FPS, but doesn't run too hot. I generally run at 1024x768, and eye candy is optional. Any opinions?

9800 Pro does'nt run that hot at all. Are you overclocked? My 9800 Pro is cooler than my Ti4600 or 9500 Pro ever was. My advice to you is to get some good flowing in that case.

Running stock speeds on everything. I've run the computer for hours on end doing non-3D stuff, and it never blinks. Run RTCW:ET for an hour (roughly), and the hard drive will start making odd noises, then corrupted data, then dead drive.

The first time it did that, i just assumed it was a dead drive, and installed a spare drive. The second drive lasted a few months, as i wasn't doing any gaming on it. Sure enough, though, back on for some fraggin' and an hour later, another corrupted/dead drive.

I checked the side of the case nearest the video card, and it was hot enough to make me snatch my hand off. Pulled the case cover, and the video card was quite warm, as was the HDD.

I have been looking into modding the case for better air flow, but i really don't want to hack up my box. I am not a 1337 modder. ;)

Is your case really small? Give me the layout of it as far as where fans go and how close the hardware is to one another.

it may also be a power supply issue.. 200w for that beefy card and a nice hard drive may stress it if the PSU is a little faulty to begin with (generally shuttle PSU's are pretty good, but you may have a dud)

My Radeon 9600 Pro doesn't seem to put out much if any heat at all at stock voltages.

I got a new case with temp on the front and I put one on the video card and my ATI AIW9800Pro seem to be pretty hot. Which is 49-52 at idle, but it doesn't get any hotter then that cuz of the good airflow. I know it's a little high for some of you but...

Those temps seem quite alright. If you wanna invest in some good cooling I would get the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer. Look it up somewhere and you'll see what I mean. It shoots the hot air out the back of the underlying PCI slot rather than into your case so that should work out perfectly for you. I am getting one for $19.99 as soon as Newegg gets some more in stock, which should be in the next day or so.

9600 se and I think some non pro's are cool enough to run without a fan, good for the totally silent

Originally posted by PCTweaker5
Those temps seem quite alright. If you wanna invest in some good cooling I would get the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer. Look it up somewhere and you'll see what I mean. It shoots the hot air out the back of the underlying PCI slot rather than into your case so that should work out perfectly for you. I am getting one for $19.99 as soon as Newegg gets some more in stock, which should be in the next day or so.

It looks like it won't fit the AIW 9800Pro I think the tv tuner and the Dual PCI Plate won't fit. But it's cool looking heatsink I would say.

I agree with diredesire, my first instinct is to look at your power situation, especially if you are running the 9800 Pro off the same lead as the drive.

If your not worried about performance so much, Find a card thats passive, then put a cooling system on it. Like that Vantec

What is the recommended PSU for a 9800PRO? I had some issues with my front Leds dimming and pulsing and when I restarted my PC I was told to connect my molex to my 9800 Pro when it already was so I disconnected the front LED's and a cold cathode light I had inside and all seemed well. I also get lockups during games and some games quit unexpectedly, could this be due to insufficient power or heat? I'd like to say I have good cooling but sometimes my room gets pretty warm when the heaters on but everything inside feels ok. And my power supply is a 350Watter so I was thinking it would be enough but what do you guys recommend?

Back