Cool Craigslist Crime of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Normally we do not condone criminal acts but this one is flat out awesome. Obviously you shouldn't have to steal back your own property but, at least in this case, it was the right thing to do. :cool:

Lesh located the bike on Craigslist shortly after last weekend's theft. He arranged to buy his bike back. A man came out of an alley at 5th and Longfellow streets NW with the bike, and Lesh took it for a "test ride." Lesh simply rode off without paying.

I had to deal with a similar thing. Someone stole my wheels and left my car on jack stands last summer. I tracked them down on CL a month later. I was going to do this but a number of people reminded me that odds are I would be the one sitting in jail for "theft" so I reluctantly called the police and made them go get them (they were taking their time until I said, "well the meeting is at 6pm. I suggest you arrive before I do."

I just went and picked up restitution tuesday and apparently the two kids received three years probation. I told the police, the DA, and their lawyers that I hoped they wouldn't receive jail time for their stupidity. DA told me they'd get 30 days in jail or cal trans. Three years probation is worse so long as it's formal probation...I forgot to ask the DA when she called me yesterday. oh well whatever.

sure did want to do the old, "oh these are nice wheels. I guess I'll take them. no, I *am* going to take them...because they're mine" bit on the kids but meh I've got extra cash in my pocket now so alls well that ends well I suppose.

Not sure if I would have been able to keep my cool long enough to pull it off.

I would have been tempted to beat the living daylights out of the guy.

The theif now has his full name and the next article in this case may not be so good...

Vigilante? Hardly! Batman would have broken both the crooks arms and legs and left him in traction for 6 months

Good for him!:cool:

Shame on the police involved :mad:

What message does it send to thieves or would-be thieves when the police say that they cannot be bothered to investigate a crime? What message does this send to victims and other would-be vigilantes? I understand the cops have other more important crimes to investigate, but ignoring small crimes is NOT the appropriate response IMO.

Good for him!:cool:

Shame on the police involved :mad:

What message does it send to thieves or would-be thieves when the police say that they cannot be bothered to investigate a crime? What message does this send to victims and other would-be vigilantes? I understand the cops have other more important crimes to investigate, but ignoring small crimes is NOT the appropriate response IMO.

Should have told police there would be a box of Krispy Kreme donuts for the responding unit and he would have had the SWAT team there to take him down.

The ad asked for $100, and Lesh called the police, who told him they wouldn't be able to respond right away.
Ain't that always the case, always there when you're going 2 mph too fast and their radar gun is rigged for 8mph too high, never there when you need them... or in some cases they are but they pretend not to see you and drive away.

I have lost thousands of dollars worth of tools, electronic equipment, etc to thieves over the years. Calling the police is a JOKE. I say if you have an idea who it is; go for it.

Now a days, lock you property down TIGHT and if you have to, get a security system or a big ass dog that will take a chunk out of trespassers. Don't forget to post some signs:

images

two stickers usually take care of this most of the time, one from a security firm and one from the NRA.

Ain't that always the case, always there when you're going 2 mph too fast and their radar gun is rigged for 8mph too high, never there when you need them... or in some cases they are but they pretend not to see you and drive away.

Police in my suburb are nothing more than cash farmers.

The guy in the video says that it's real poetic justice.

I don't really think going to all the trouble of having to recover property that is already yours is poetic justice. Sounds more like a lot of trouble.

Poetic justice would include the man running over the thief's nards with his recovered bicycle, or stealing the thief's (actually purchased) bicycle and selling it back to him.

If you are non-white. Don't even bother claiming a police report. You will never get your stolen stuff back.

If you are non-white. Don't even bother claiming a police report. You will never get your stolen stuff back.

Had my bike stolen a few years ago despite being chained up. I filed a police report and they recovered it two weeks later. Didn't matter what color I was as I filed the report over the phone and provided as much information to the detective as I could over email.

FTFY

When my motorcycle was stolen the officer told me I'd never see it again but that I might need to report for insurance:p
Correct.
I rented a small house once and had gotten ripped off in the area I lived in before so I decided to get renters insurance. Got ripped off big time. They broke in to a small storage building that was on the property. Stole about 3 grand worth of audio gear and tools. Got the police report and called the insurance Co.
"We are sorry for your loss but your policy does not cover theft if it does not happen inside the rental property residence. It does not cover sheds, or storage buildings."
Screwed by the thief, screwed by the cops, screwed by the INS company. :mad:
Get yourself a gun, a big ass dog or both.

Aww, someone else who couldn't be bothered to write down make, model and serial number, is butthurt the cops can't tell his DVD player from the next guy's.

you can really expect much from the cops, but maybe not realistically...

they can still perform their jobs without solving one specific problem... experience dispels expectations I guess, and this is coming from a white guy. Cops are people, and like people they have shortcomings, etc. If you have not experience serious complications/difficulties with people before then you must be one of "THEM" (cute and fuzzy bunnies). ;p

Back