Cool 'Bullet vs. Glass at 150,000 FPS' Video of the Day

Holy crap, there is a Prince Ruperts drop in hydraulic press video. Took about 20 tons of pressure before shattering. But best of all it made a DENT in both hydraulic piston and the steel bar under it. Piece of glass, denting steel... Let that sink for a second.

Im on mobile so linking stuff is PIA but you'll find it on youtube. Hell its probably in the recommendations too after the video posted here.

the related video where they explain what's going on is even better
Simple.
The glass is hardest on the front end, just like your cars window.
PRD glass is weakest on the tail end, the hydro-static shock had to shake all the way down to the tail's tip before it hit the weak spot, then as those always do, it worked it's way up to the front, shattering all the way up to the bulb before exploding in shards.
There are many videos that explain it. If you simply snip the tail end with a pair of pliers, it would do exactly the same thing. This video just shows the strength of the front bulb.

Reactions: dgz
like this
^^
The post about the post about the video about the video in the OP is even better than the post about the video about the video in the original post.

it is the same thing as an airplane windows exploding when you go from pressurized air to a difference in pressure. when the tail is cut air pressure attempts to fill it and there is no cross brace from one side to the other.

If you cut it under vacuum it won't shatter.

Simple.
The glass is hardest on the front end, just like your cars window.
PRD glass is weakest on the tail end, the hydro-static shock had to shake all the way down to the tail's tip before it hit the weak spot, then as those always do, it worked it's way up to the front, shattering all the way up to the bulb before exploding in shards.
There are many videos that explain it. If you simply snip the tail end with a pair of pliers, it would do exactly the same thing. This video just shows the strength of the front bulb.

he explains how it works in the video he mentions near the beginning of this one when he first played with them. the explanation is really easy to understand too which is nice.

I can imagine that when they were doing the interviews for the head librarian of the Royal Society, they just took one look at Keith and sent everyone else home. Of course you -have- to be the head librarian of the Royal Society! You can tell the Universe created that guy specifically for that purpose.

Cool video, also never heard of this channel so, sub'd because I love this stuff. I like how he explains the science of what is happening.

that's something that those youtube channels using a gopro and the "slow mo" video will never come close to replicating.

Getting Smarter Everyday rocks. I thought the bicycle one was fantastical.

I went through something similar when taught myself to play drums ambidextrously, both with hands and feet. I'm left handed, so when I started leading with my right my normal playing degraded. It took a long time to get everything working properly, but eventually you can have both pathways available with no conflict between the two.

Back