convince me to save cash or splurge

paperwastage

[H]ard|Gawd
Current machine:
Phenom II X4 B50 overclocked to 3.4GHZ (Phenom II X2 550 BE unlocked to quad core)
MSI 785G-E65 mATX mobo (IGP is HD 4200 with HDMI/DVI/VGA {only supports one digital and one analog output simutaneously})
2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333
Corsair CMPSU-400CX 400-Watt (with 1 PCIe plug)

1x22" 1680x1050(DVI/VGA).... 1x17" 1280x1024(VGA)... maybe getting another screen to triple (? 22" 1680x1050)

was originally thinking of spending around $60 for an ATI 4670 1GB, but new technology(DX11) always seems better... now looking at an ATI 5670 or 5770

gaming: planning to run at 1680x1050 single monitor...
multitasking: (web browsing, coding), planning to use up to three screens, not sure yet...
GPGPU: probably taking a course on GPU programming next year, more HP the better?

question:
1) is 5770 worth it? It says recommended 450W, but my Corsair should be able to handle it... I am planning to add 2 more DDR3 DIMMs, one more HDD... no DVD drive
2) can I use my IGP HD 4200 along with an discrete GPU? Using mainly Ubuntu as my OS, Windows 7 as secondary
3) should I save my money and get a 4670/5670?

At that resolution, with that system, I wouldn't bother unless you have games you want to play today or in the future that you know will demand more horsepower than the 5670. What's the difference in price you're looking at?

I'm planning to wait on a good deal...

ATI 4670 is around $75, planning to jump if there is a deal under $60
ATI 5670 is around $100, planning to jump if there is a deal under $75
ATI 5770 is around $150, planning to jump if there is a deal under $125

don't mind splurging more on a video card... rest of my system costs $325... as long as a video card is under $150, i'm happy...

I don't really need dual monitor gaming, but if its like a small difference to make sure my GPU can stay long, why not...

I doubt you will see a 5770 from a reputable manufacturer drop under $125 anytime soon, but it would be great if I was proven wrong :)

first of all your psu is most likely to need upgrading.
second if youre going to do eyefinity i would get 3 identical screens or at least match the best one you have ( you need all to have same resolution) plus you need one monitor to have dsiplayport unless you want to roll the dice with an active dp to dvi converter.
third. if you are doing eyefinity, buy the best videocard you can. the better the card the higher you can make your graphic settings, the better it will look. biggest problem people make is buying what they think they need and not what they really need to make it work right. just because it will get you by doesnt mean its the best option (ie: onboard graphics). this will help to futureproof the graphics/display. otherwise youll shell out money for screens and a video card and be pissed that it looks like shit because you bought a half-assed video card. honestly i wouldnt look at anything other than a 5800 card if you play any games at all and want to run eyefinity with any dignity. you dont put walmart tires on a ferrari.....

second if youre going to do eyefinity i would get 3 identical screens or at least match the best one you have ( you need all to have same resolution) plus you need one monitor to have dsiplayport unless you want to roll the dice with an active dp to dvi converter.
third. if you are doing eyefinity, buy the best videocard you can. the better the card the higher you can make your graphic settings, the better it will look. biggest problem people make is buying what they think they need and not what they really need to make it work right. just because it will get you by doesnt mean its the best option (ie: onboard graphics). this will help to futureproof the graphics/display. otherwise youll shell out money for screens and a video card and be pissed that it looks like shit because you bought a half-assed video card. honestly i wouldnt look at anything other than a 5800 card if you play any games at all and want to run eyefinity with any dignity. you dont put walmart tires on a ferrari.....

agreed^^^^^^

well, i was just trying to keep my budget down... im a student afterall...

i guess a 5670 would be nice (only needs a 400W PSU)... DX11, somewhat futureproof

hey now lol I work for wal-mart tire n lube.... we actually can order really nice tires and I've worked on one ferrari since working there.... many jags and mercedes.... seen one aston come in for an oil change.... Sadly many people who buy 100k+ cars still want the cheapest service they can even when I try to persuade them otherwise...

however, pertaining to this OP's question. PSU is a must if you plan on adding anything else into your pc, especially a dx11 card and another HD.... PSU's are a dime a dozen even the reputable brands.... as for a card I suggest a 5850 if you want to do gaming with eyefinity on a budget

hey now lol I work for wal-mart tire n lube.... we actually can order really nice tires and I've worked on one ferrari since working there.... many jags and mercedes.... seen one aston come in for an oil change.... Sadly many people who buy 100k+ cars still want the cheapest service they can even when I try to persuade them otherwise...

however, pertaining to this OP's question. PSU is a must if you plan on adding anything else into your pc, especially a dx11 card and another HD.... PSU's are a dime a dozen even the reputable brands.... as for a card I suggest a 5850 if you want to do gaming with eyefinity on a budget

LOL@ a Ferarri owner bringing his car to Walmart....no offense but that guy should have his car revoked.

ok well i didnt see the part about it being a budget. if money is tight then this is what i would do. buy the big ass video card. spend the money you would normally shell out for the lower end card, add the money u were gonna spend on a new screen. that will buy you a good video card. then wait for the additional screens.you can always add more screens if you have the horsepower to drive them.

cosairs are solid. that 400 should be able to run a 5770 just fine. would i run it? probably not. but you could sell it for 50 bucks on craigslist and get a 600w PSU for about the same price. not a corsair but good enough that shouldnt provide any problems. I run a 750 rosewill myself. its solid running 24/7 for a year so i guess. my comp has about 97% uptime or better.

Lol, wow, some of you are way off the mark. His PSU is more than adequate for his system. OP, you could throw in a 5850 and you'd still have plenty of wiggle room. OP, all you have to decide is how much you want to spend. The absolute minimum I would recommend getting is a 5770, if you have the cash, the 5850 would hold you for a long time.
Anyway, here's a 5770 for $115 if you want to jump through all the hoops to get it: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1864743

Back