convince me not to buy another xbox 360

If you buy an Xbox 360, I'll poop in your shoes.

If you're not convinced, then I don't know what will convince you.

Ok, long story short, launch 360, breaks, send in, get back improved model with new heatsink, lasts through hell, finally breaks recently. I tried every trick, got it to work for a few days, then it broke again....I'm done playing the game. I have a substancial amount of time invested in Forza Motorsport 3, DLC, etc....it is the only game i play, when Fable 3 comes out im interested

I game on a LG 55LH40 HDTV, yes it has the inputs you are wondering about, no problem there. already bought a Sony BDP-S360 bluray player, very happy with TV and player, not interested in PS3 at this point, already have a Wii downstairs in the workout room on a 46" HDTV, no Wii suggestions please

already have a pc, it's weak Antec 550 Earthwatts PSU, Opteron 165 dual core cpu (939 socket Athlon X2 3800), 2 gigs of DDR400 ram, and a 9600GSO GPU, but it works perfectly fine for PC duties, the only gaming i do on pc are MechwarriorLivingLegends and occasional Steam games

i am soon to replace the 360 with a new arcade Jasper with new warranty and all, this will hold me over until the next console is out

can i build anything out of my current system, to suit my gaming taste (almost exclusively racing and not need for speed crap, no guns on cars, real competitive racing), with an additional $200 (lets make it $300) to hold me over until the next thing comes out?

i am also aware and very much wanting to use the pc for media serving and that sort of thing....but with my budget?

because if not then i will just have to drop $200 on a new 360 and wait it out....ideas?

You play racers exclusively and you refuse to buy a PS3? Have you heard of GT5? I know it's not out yet, but it looks promising.

360 has no worthwhile exclusives. IMO, forza is the best thing it has going but; I'm not impressed by random generic shooters.

I had one 360, which i got at launch. Used it without issues until 6 months ago when I traded it in at GameStop for a new one (got rid of it and a few games and came out even).

I <3 my 360! Games aren't bad and the Netflix setup is better than PS3 and Wii.

Granted I'd love to have a HTPC (omg would I) but with the investment you have in the 360 already, stick with it. The majority of 360s don't break regardless of what you hear from the people that claim to have had 50 of them and they all broke.

P.S.
360 hatemongers can flame away, but please be aware I said "majority" not all.

The majority of 360s don't break regardless of what you hear from the people that claim to have had 50 of them and they all broke.

Doesn't it have a 52% fail rate. So the majority DO break. The highest 360 breaking combo i've ever heard was 9 from the man in a games shop near me. I'm sure someone can beat that!

Also, with a smallish PC it's easy enough just to move it next to the tv from the office, as I often do with with the refurbished HP elite I got from somewhere. The benifits of using a PC for this kind of thing are that things like internet browsing, streaming non netflix movies etc. has alot less problems. Flash sites load, codecs can be downloaded etc. The benifit of the PC route is that everything can be done incrementally. You get the video card (anything with a HDMI is fine, like a GTX 250 for $70 I don't really know about ATI since the RAGE days, but I know they do the chip in the wii) now. And then later upgrade the motherboard etc. And if one component breaks, it wont take the whole thing with it.

Oh and playing online is free.

Doesn't it have a 52% fail rate. So the majority DO break. The highest 360 breaking combo i've ever heard was 9 from the man in a games shop near me. I'm sure someone can beat that!

I don't buy a 52% failure rate. If you want to use some guy you randomly met in a game shop around you that's cool, but my wife worked as a manager of a GameStop for 9 years.

If the console had a 52% failure rate, then it would be much bigger news than it is/was. A quick google search gets rates from 12%-70%. I'm sure the rate climbs for the hategroup and declines for the fanboys.

As for Gamestop, let the hate flow, she'll probably be right there with you complaining.

I don't buy a 52% failure rate. If you want to use some guy you randomly met in a game shop around you that's cool, but my wife worked as a manager of a GameStop for 9 years.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/176741.asp Seems pretty accurate, as microsoft themselves don't contest it. Even at the low end, say 25% you wouldn't call that reliable. If your car broke down 25% of the time you used it...you'd sell it.

It wasn't some man I met randomly in a shop. His name is Rodger, maybe you'll meet him one day. And with a 54% fail rating it doesn't sound highly unbelievable. Ive never been to, or bought anything from gamestop. Ive never even been to the USA. Why do people hate them?

Also, as their sold for a loss, if your a true fan, you wouldn't buy one.

That number included the original launch system problems. The thing with surveys is it's easy to skew it. I mean they aren't exactly confirming if the same person is beign interviewed for his/her system broken down years ago.

I'll easily give you this though: PC way more stable than either console (PS3 or 360) I've met and experience just as many ps3 problems too. Just doesn't have a cooler name like rrod.

PC way more stable than either console (PS3 or 360) I've met and experience just as many ps3 problems too. Just doesn't have a cooler name like rrod.

It's hard to say because the articles from August 19 2009, but if it was wildly inaccurate i'm sure microsoft would have had stronger opposition. I don't think anyone would list it anywhere on a reliable hardware list. Unless it had the red lights hooked up to a torture device and your name was jigsaw.

Isn't i called the YLOD or something? I don't think its common enough to get a movement behind it. Though I had a problem with the original PS3 too, a white plastic bar thing came down, jammed and stopped the disc ejecting. But sony replaced it the next day so I never got to play around or name it.

It's hard to say because the articles from August 19 2009, but if it was wildly inaccurate i'm sure microsoft would have had stronger opposition. I don't think anyone would list it anywhere on a reliable hardware list. Unless it had the red lights hooked up to a torture device and your name was jigsaw.

Isn't i called the YLOD or something? I don't think its common enough to get a movement behind it. Though I had a problem with the original PS3 too, a white plastic bar thing came down, jammed and stopped the disc ejecting. But sony replaced it the next day so I never got to play around or name it.

YLOD is one yea, but there are disc ejecting problems (first time) no video (second time) and audio (mine is working on this...audio goes in an out these days) :(

YLOD is one yea, but there are disc ejecting problems (first time) no video (second time) and audio (mine is working on this...audio goes in an out these days) :(

For the Video did you try the whatever its called thing. Where you turn it on with your fingers on the power button. Sometimes it defaults to either of the outputs HDMI/other one and only ever shows video down one output. Are you using the optical or the cables audio?

But still its a whole lot more reliable then mr 360. Actually, rather than a new PC upgrade maybe a ps3 would be better. With the LIVE costs, any difference in price would be payed off within a year. And you get alot more non generic exclusives. 360 games could be traded for ps3 editions/similar games.

For the Video did you try the whatever its called thing. Where you turn it on with your fingers on the power button. Sometimes it defaults to either of the outputs HDMI/other one and only ever shows video down one output. Are you using the optical or the cables audio?

But still its a whole lot more reliable then mr 360. Actually, rather than a new PC upgrade maybe a ps3 would be better. With the LIVE costs, any difference in price would be payed off within a year. And you get alot more non generic exclusives. 360 games could be traded for ps3 editions/similar games.

Yea I did all the tricks for video but it didn't work. The ONLY video that worked was composite. I had to get it repaired from sony. Now it's out of warranty and the audio is acting up. I'm using optical audio

haven't tried it yet. Either way, means I'd buy either a new receiver or new ps3 to get surround sound :(

You do know that with the optical, even though you get a clearer sound it is limited to being 5.1. The HDMI is the only option that gives you a full 7.1, though theres really no difference. Though I can't wait for UHD in 2020 with its 22.2!!!

Thats another reason for a PC/PS3 over a xbox. Better audio!!!

You do know that with the optical, even though you get a clearer sound it is limited to being 5.1. The HDMI is the only option that gives you a full 7.1, though theres really no difference. Though I can't wait for UHD in 2020 with its 22.2!!!

Thats another reason for a PC/PS3 over a xbox. Better audio!!!

ya but I only got 5.1 speakers and don't plan on getting 7.1...ever really.

Are we talking failing from normal usage, or breaking due to "unusual circumstances". I want to know at what point I'd be excluded. :D

Are we talking failing from normal usage, or breaking due to "unusual circumstances". I want to know at what point I'd be excluded. :D

It just says "breaking" i'm guessing to the not working at all point! Though it is a servey so it might include that it has bad online multiplayer (I hate headsets) "broken". Unusual circumstances" are always more intresting though! I dropped my PSP into the bath and the next day the screen broke(!?) You microwaved it?

Last edited:
Could you HDMI into the TV and optical out to the box?

yes you can have that setup as xbox 360 elite used to have the audio adapter you could use with the hdmi cable.

OP

if the lack of news stories and website write up are an indication, the jaspers have pretty much fixed the problem. I replaced 2 360s with jaspers and have not looked back.

yes you can have that setup as xbox 360 elite used to have the audio adapter you could use with the hdmi cable.

Nono! sorry, I meant send a HDMI cable from the ps3 into the HDTV and then the optical out from the TV into the 5.1 speakers.

And although more reliable than the old versions, because of less overheating problems, general hardware errors still put it around 12%, though its still unclear if the problems will come back as the units get to be 1 year old, which is when the error is more likely to happen.

^link claiming 12%

Most TV only put optical out on stuff from the tuner....

link claiming 11.7% the 4% is about the old ring, which sounds so much better than that e74 error

Which TV do you have? As the TV is already outputting the sound elements down the optical, it's not a stretch to output the sound coming out of the new signal, and it saves of refibering on the new device

i found a better link

Perhaps more notably, the report concludes that the new "Jasper" based Xbox 360s, which began shipping in late 2008, have almost completely killed RROD, and SquareTrade expects the failure rate to continue to fall as 2009 continues.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/artic...ure_rate_still_highest_says_squaretrade_study

as the rrod systems fall out, the x360 will be on par with the ps3 in terms of failure rates

as the rrod systems fall out, the x360 will be on par with the ps3 in terms of failure rates

you forget that most RRoD errors happen a year later, so its probably not happened yet for many "jasper" units. Also, now any unit that RRoD get returned to microsoft, so the only place to find ot information for that error...would be there.

Don't buy another Xbox 360.

WIN

you forget that most RRoD errors happen a year later, so its probably not happened yet for many "jasper" units. Also, now any unit that RRoD get returned to microsoft, so the only place to find ot information for that error...would be there.

WIN

lol loose u didn't read the article.....and no rrod don't magically wait a year later, they can happen at any time lol it was 2 years before either one of our consoles bit the bullet while for others it was within weeks to months of purchase......

Don't be mean, I can't read. Anyway 11.7% still isnt good. Based on the company and it's hardware, it sounds a little unlikely. Its probably just been programmed to not show the RRoD anymore. Its still broken in the fact it doesnt have included wi-fi/decent exclusives/pay for online/has the damned headset (There should at least be a 18+ age limit on using it). Its still pretty broken when it's 100% working.

Back